Sponsored

Why a Gladiator (JT) and not a Wrangler (JL)?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if you had different tires, what your view would be.

Before the Gladiator, over time, I have had two GMC Sierras; an H2; an H3 (my soon-to-be-ex-wife’s); and a JKUR (not in that order). I think the GMs were a bit easier to drive in moderate snow, especially when mixed with dry pavement. But, I think my JKUR would go anywhere any of the GMs would go, although I might have to do more shifting (the transfer case), and I might go a bit slower on turns. I assume the JTR will be the same. Hopefully, I will find out on Wednesday.

I’m also not concerned about driving mine in 4WH on limited straight stretches of dry pavement in between snow patches.
That's what I'd like to find out.

And there were times I said forget it - it's staying in 4H because I could see the next patch ahead...... it was usually wet between, at least, some short dry spots.
Sponsored

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

And there were times I said forget it - it's staying in 4H because I could see the next patch ahead...... it was usually wet between, at least, some short dry spots.
Dry pavement is not going to hurt your diffs unless you are turning and cranking nonstop.

When an adolescent, I used to power-brake my 74 Monte Carlo, spinning a 12" rear tire on dry pavement, for minutes at a time, and it didn't hurt the diffs.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dry pavement is not going to hurt your diffs unless you are turning and cranking nonstop.

When an adolescent, I used to power-brake my 74 Monte Carlo, spinning a 12" rear tire on dry pavement, for minutes at a time, and it didn't hurt the diffs.
Not worried about the differentials - it's the transfer case........ My F250 would wind up so tight you couldn't get it back out of 4H on dry pavement.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not worried about the differentials - it's the transfer case........ My F250 would wind up so tight you couldn't get it back out of 4H on dry pavement.
And I know it anecdotal, but my brother accidentally drove his Jeep GC for about 200 miles with the 4WH mode on, and he agonized about it, but everything was fine, and he got another 60K miles on it without any problem. I think the issue is overstated.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In other words, I have driven my former JKUR in interim dry pavement / snow on straight-aways with no problem. If I was turning significantly on dry pavement, I would shift into 2WH.

Sponsored

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I went with the JT because as a landlord I am constantly hauling crap around I would rather not have in the back of a SUV. Drain snakes, plumbing stuff, mulch, walk behind mower, plaster, other dirty construction stuff, even PLYWOOD!!!!!:CWL:[/QUOTE

I bought the JT for the same reason. I need a truck, not a closed in SUV. As versatile as the JLU is, you can’t drop 2 scoops of mulch into it and strap a wheel barrow down on top of the load. You can’t carry a large mower or ATV in it and I certainly wouldn’t want to throw a bleeding deer carcass in the back of the JL. Some folks just need a truck, and some folks just need a SUV. For me personally, I feel like the JT with a hard folding tonneau is the best of both.

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
In regards to some later posts about transfer case bind, if this happens to you it is easy to un-bind the transfer case by backing up in a bit of an “S” shape while gently pushing the TC shift lever. When the forces that bind the gears find just the right spot the shifter will slip right out of four wheel drive and into two wheel.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
In regards to some later posts about transfer case bind, if this happens to you it is easy to un-bind the transfer case by backing up in a bit of an “S” shape while gently pushing the TC shift lever. When the forces that bind the gears find just the right spot the shifter will slip right out of four wheel drive and into two wheel.
That's what I ended up doing with my Ford........... steering left and right causes the axles to turn different speeds and hopefully relaxing the pressure.
That's a lot of pressure on that transfer case. I try to avoid it where possible.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element

from what I have read you only run into problems with 4H and non-slippery conditions when you turn; fine for straight lines?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
from what I have read you only run into problems with 4H and non-slippery conditions when you turn; fine for straight lines?
I suppose it depends on the transfer case? Even in the snow the thing jumped and bound and the steering wheel was fussing as I turned into a parking spot on a wet, snowy spot in front of a dealer today.
I know some transfer cases will suffer damage - it was a big no-no back in the 70s and 80s.
I don't know how stout this transfer case is - they do say to not use it on unslippery surfaces -
These aren't the NP transfer cases I'm used to...........
by the way, I have several NP 119 and 129 transfer cases in my shop if anyone needs one for parts or to fix up.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
np transfer case?
New Process.

This is the NOS (new old stock) NP129 I put in my car.
I built the engine, then the drivetrain I assembled on the shop floor, and put it in the car from below.
I have a number of used transfer cases in my shop for some reason. Guess I am a pack-rat?!

sx4-exhaust-new-007.jpg

eagle-t-case29.jpg
engine-assy-001.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
U have the perfect vehicle for glamping. Nice rig, BTW.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE

I had a similar experience when I was stuck for a bit in the icy rain storm in Buffalo area during my thanksgiving drive. Idk if the LE tires are different than the Overland but they do slip however for a stretch I just put it on 4H and drove it but it did well on the icy rain in 2H but not on ice sheets though it definitely does poorly compared to other SUVs I have driven in the past... Maybe a couple of sand bags in the back would have made it better... That's probably my only complaint with the JT - it performed poorly in icy rain snow conditions than expected... I wonder if there is a way to improve it with some mods?
Sponsored