Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Sting Gray
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
I recently upgraded my wheels to 35s on my 2020 Gladiator Overland. Afterward I purchased a Vgate iCar Pro BLE OBD2 adapter and the Chrysler 12+8 programming cable to use with JScan to set tire size. I tested the Vgate by simply plugging into the OBD2 connector. It started right up and connected to JScan, and I could read vehicle information and trouble codes, but not program, as expected.

I unplugged the two connectors from the SGM and plugged them into the 12+8 cable, then plugged the Vgate into the cable as well. No dice. The Vgate would not power up. No lights, nothing. I thought, OK, bad cable, so I got another one from a different manufacturer. Same result.

I returned the system to stock and plugged the Vgate into the vehicle OBD2, starts right up.

I also got my hands on a Tazer JL Mini that I plugged into the two SGM cables, nothing, no green LED, Nothing happens when trying to get to the Tazer menu.

Has anyone ever seen this before?
Sponsored

Last edited:

MomsSpaghetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I recently upgraded my wheels to 35s on my 2020 Gladiator Overland. Afterward I purchased a Vgate iCar Pro BLE OBD2 adapter and the Chrysler 12+8 programming cable to use with JScan to set tire size. I tested the Vgate by simply plugging into the OBD2 connector. It started right up and connected to JScan, and I could read vehicle information and trouble codes, but not program, as expected.

I unplugged the two connectors from the SGM and plugged them into the 12+8 cable, then plugged the Vgate into the cable as well. No dice. The Vgate would not power up. No lights, nothing. I thought, OK, bad cable, so I got another one from a different manufacturer. Same result.

I returned the system to stock and plugged the Vgate into the vehicle OBD2, starts right up.

I also got my hands on a Tazer JL Mini that I plugged into the two SGM cables, nothing, no green LED, Nothing happens when trying to get to the Tazer menu.

Has anyone ever seen this before?
Are you certain it's the bluetooth version? I mistakenly bought the WiFi version first and it didn't work.

OP
OP
jdjohnson50

jdjohnson50

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
Are you certain it's the bluetooth version? I mistakenly bought the WiFi version first and it didn't work.
Yes, it works perfectly when plugged into the OBD2 port.

OP
OP
jdjohnson50

jdjohnson50

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it doesn't appear that this is an issue for anyone else, but if it does happen to anyone, I've found some more info.

If you look at the Chrysler 12+8 cable, shown below, the red circled socket on the OBD2 connector is supposed to supply +12vdc to any device plugged into it. I verified using the ohm setting on a multi-meter that socket is connected to the red circled pin on the 8 pin connector. However on my Gladiator the corresponding socket on the 8 socket plug doesn't have +12vdc connected to it as verified by a volt meter. So I obviously have something wrong with the wiring to the SGM.

Jeep Gladiator Why doesn’t my Vgate iCar Pro work? 1597872000947

However I found a way to make Jscan work. I purchased a 2018+ FCA Security Gateway Module Bypass Device from OBDGenie:

Jeep Gladiator Why doesn’t my Vgate iCar Pro work? 1597872099620
Jeep Gladiator Why doesn’t my Vgate iCar Pro work? 1597872121327

I plugged the SGM plugs into this and the Vgate iCar into the OBD2 port and viola, Jscan works as expected and I can change settings.

I'm going to troubleshoot the SGM wiring some more since I would like to use a Tazer as well.

OP
OP
jdjohnson50

jdjohnson50

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
Just to tie a knot in this. ALWAYS check the fuse first!
Jeep Gladiator Why doesn’t my Vgate iCar Pro work? 1597927939415

The red circled F05 5amp fuse is in the circuit for the SGM. It evidently was defective from the factory. I replaced it and the Tazer JL Mini works as it should.

Sponsored

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Just to tie a knot in this. ALWAYS check the fuse first!
Jeep Gladiator Why doesn’t my Vgate iCar Pro work? 1597927939415

The red circled F05 5amp fuse is in the circuit for the SGM. It evidently was defective from the factory. I replaced it and the Tazer JL Mini works as it should.
Let us know if that fuse blows again when you plug in that Chrysler 12+8 cable harness.

OP
OP
jdjohnson50

jdjohnson50

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
Let us know if that fuse blows again when you plug in that Chrysler 12+8 cable harness.
Will do. I'm not plugging in anything else until I get more spare 5amp fuses. Used my only one yesterday. :headbang:

OP
OP
jdjohnson50

jdjohnson50

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
No issues with using the Tazer, or plugging in the 12-8 cable and using JScan. I also found out that the Tazer works as a bypass for the OBDII connector, so JScan works fine with the Tazer plugged in to the SGW connections and the iCar plugged into the diag port as well.

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
No issues with using the Tazer, or plugging in the 12-8 cable and using JScan. I also found out that the Tazer works as a bypass for the OBDII connector, so JScan works fine with the Tazer plugged in to the SGW connections and the iCar plugged into the diag port as well.
Thanks, that bit about Tazer and Jscan working together has been one of my concerns as I am planning to use both.
Sponsored