Sponsored

Why not buy a Centerforce dual friction clutch?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
We've heard all along that the stock JL/JT clutch is super soft. My guess is they made it TOO soft, which allowed for too much slipping, which builds heat, which is ruining the clutches.

Instead of trying to cater to the snowflakes, they should have installed a real clutch in these Jeeps to begin with.

Good to hear that aftermarket options are available.
Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
We've heard all along that the stock JL/JT clutch is super soft. My guess is they made it TOO soft, which allowed for too much slipping, which builds heat, which is ruining the clutches.

Instead of trying to cater to the snowflakes, they should have installed a real clutch in these Jeeps to begin with.

Good to hear that aftermarket options are available.
I installed the Centerforce II which is really what these should have had from the start. This is not a dual disk clutch. It is a weighted flywheel clutch that is rated to around 500HP. It still has a softer clutch feel like you will get in most sports cars with an MT.

The clutch engages at the bottom of the throw, where an experienced driver expects it. The weighted flywheel means you can simply let the clutch out and it will roll. Feels like it will climb a telephone pole now. This is what I remember jeep MT feeling like.

OP
OP

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator SportS, manual, soft top, black
I installed the Centerforce II which is really what these should have had from the start. This is not a dual disk clutch. It is a weighted flywheel clutch that is rated to around 500HP. It still has a softer clutch feel like you will get in most sports cars with an MT.

The clutch engages at the bottom of the throw, where an experienced driver expects it. The weighted flywheel means you can simply let the clutch out and it will roll. Feels like it will climb a telephone pole now. This is what I remember jeep MT feeling like.
Gawd I wanna go do this now!

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
What is the average labor cost for a clutch replacement on a Jeep? I would like to do this on my wife’s JL but also need to regear my JT.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
What is the average labor cost for a clutch replacement on a Jeep? I would like to do this on my wife’s JL but also need to regear my JT.
I can't talk to the typical cost. Maybe someone else on the forum can. I didn't use a Jeep shop, I used a racing shop I know the owner. He is very detail oriented. All his customers know his shop is slow, but accurate. You will get your car back right. Even if there is a technical issue, you will get your car back right.

Depending on the shop, 3 to 8 hours at whatever the shop rate is.

Mine was definitely not ordinary as my crankshaft was larger than max spec from FCA, by 2.2mm, and they had to have 0.3mm machined out of the center of the flywheel where it fits over the crankshaft.

While this might bother most people, it doesn't bother me as this means mine fits like a blueprint.

If you plan on doing this yourself, just make sure you know a local machine shop in case you have the same need.

Sponsored

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I'm leaning in this direction more and more, but much like tires or brakes, I keep feeling the need to wear out my current clutch before taking the plunge....
I can't find anything in the manual or service schedule, When do we expect the OE clutch to take a dump?
I know some of you are gonna say "any minute".... I'm just curious if this is within the next 5ish years... I'm already at 30k miles

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
I'm leaning in this direction more and more, but much like tires or brakes, I keep feeling the need to wear out my current clutch before taking the plunge....
I can't find anything in the manual or service schedule, When do we expect the OE clutch to take a dump?
I know some of you are gonna say "any minute".... I'm just curious if this is within the next 5ish years... I'm already at 30k miles
60 to 150 thousand miles depending on how much off-roading and how much you burn the clutch.
I have one friend that was a combine driver and he only uses clutch to get rolling, his last as long as his engine.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
My new manual Mojave has pleasant light clutch pedal pressure but the engagement ZONE is vague making 1st gear starts funky. I have 1300 miles so far and its improving but I'd sure prefer a traditional clutch behavior. Don't need a heavier pedal though. I wonder if Centerforce will have crank size issue will get sorted any time soon.

OP
OP

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator SportS, manual, soft top, black
My new manual Mojave has pleasant light clutch pedal pressure but the engagement ZONE is vague making 1st gear starts funky. I have 1300 miles so far and its improving but I'd sure prefer a traditional clutch behavior. Don't need a heavier pedal though. I wonder if Centerforce will have crank size issue will get sorted any time soon.
I might just call them this week and see if they've heard of other feedback similar to Steve's. If it's a ln infrequent issue I'm so close to pulling the trigger.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programer
I might just call them this week and see if they've heard of other feedback similar to Steve's. If it's a ln infrequent issue I'm so close to pulling the trigger.
So Im asking myself what is so different about this clutch setup and to me is the broad/vague engagement zone. It makes modulating the clutch engagement difficult without a LOT of pedal motion. An aftermarket disc(s) corrected that it would be sufficient.

Sponsored

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
For whatever it's worth, I'm at about 8500 miles (the last year my driving has been very limited due to the plague and working remote (and I have a really short commute so I didn't rack up a lot of miles even before the work from home)) and I am noticing a recent significant improvement in the extent of feel and feedback in the friction zone (I had "clutch recall #1 done last fall). The feedback improved slightly after the clutch recall #1 and somehow, with no clear explanation, the feedback has improved further in the last few weeks. Still less feedback than any other MT that I have owned or driven, but it's an improvement and I am glad for it.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programer
That is good to hear. Mine is still improving at 1600miles as well. The mushy engaement promoted slipping when I took delivery for sure.

I'm certain this clutch design was well intention-ed with an eye towards prevention of stalls, perhaps to help C/D or Motortrend testers haha.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
This clutch's characteristics are a total mystery to me. The only people choosing and driving manual transmissions in this decade are people who truly, specifically want manual transmissions, and seek out the opportunity to find and buy (or order) an MT - who presumably also don't want a vague clutch. But I am still glad that Jeep has given us the option to choose an MT.

Wally's Dad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Estimator, Preconstruction Manager
I just called to ask about this. The guy at Midway industries said that their clutch kit for any '21 JTs is still in R&D and to check back late this fall. Boo.

:(

Does anyone recommend any other brand of clutch?

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programer
AFAIK there are no others yet. Also not sure centerforce is dual disk.
Like others my clutch is really improving with 6k on it. Also the
dual disk provides the light pedal compared to a conventional
single disk. Im preparing to tow a 2000lb trailer 800 miles next weekend
and will updated this thread if I discover any issues.
Sponsored