Sponsored

Why not buy a Centerforce dual friction clutch?

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Thanks. I didn't think to pretend I have a wrangler... I guess the transmissions are the same?...
Yep, same drivetrain.

I'd still call them though if you're seriously interested. I don't know anything about them, and would lean towards Centerforce just because I have used them before, but I have absolutely zero to base that on really.... South Bend might have something really great like the other poster mentioned..... there just isn't much info about it on their site though other than they do offer some options.

Keep us posted if you inquire.
Sponsored

Wally's Dad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Estimator, Preconstruction Manager
The CF flywheel is extremely heavy for the stiffness of the crankshaft and size of the main bearings. I prefer the South Bend Clutch approach which fixes the biggest problem, the hollow center plate, by manufacturing a solid replacement plate.
So you have bought and are using the Southbend product? Which one? We are all wanting you to educate us some more...

JAVIERGONZO

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
I have a southbend clutch in my other vehicle Stage 1. Felt closer to stock. The only thing to get used to is the chatter.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I have used South Bend for many years in Dodge diesels, because they make several models that can take the 1000+ ft lb torque of a modified Cummins, while having good drivability. I also use one of their custom clutches in my Oldsmobile which is used for street and strip. It has survived multiple hard passes on the strip where lesser clutches would have burned up. I have known Peter Pyfer, one of the owners, for decades and he is very knowledgeable about clutches and their compromises.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Most of the aftermarket clutches Ive installed had higher pedal pressure. Sometimes a lot higher.
For race use that's fine but as a daily driver its an annoyance.
I am that guy that had to have the machining done to fit. I have been driving on that clutch for many months now and I am completely happy with it. The clutch is everything the stock clutch wasn't. If I had it to do over again, I would all day. The clutch isn't stiff, it is a centerforce II and it feels like the stock clutch should have.

Do you still have the old take out parts? Is the original clutch two plate or a single plate design?

Sponsored

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
BTW, I was backing up a steep driveway with trailer and had to slip clutch quite a bit. I could smell it in that situation although no effects otherwise. I let engine idle for a minute in neutral to cool clutch faster and more evenly.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
my Centerforce clutch came in. Unboxing vid. Gotta find time for install

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Centerforce Clutch installed and broken in !!! Available in early 2022.

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I was glad when Quadratec finally said "Preorders start shipping February 15th" instead of "backordered till.. .like, next month maybe?" (or something like that).
Mine's been on order, I've hated the wait, but another 2 months is nothing. I have a baby due around the same time, so its gonna go by quick...

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was glad when Quadratec finally said "Preorders start shipping February 15th" instead of "backordered till.. .like, next month maybe?" (or something like that).
Mine's been on order, I've hated the wait, but another 2 months is nothing. I have a baby due around the same time, so its gonna go by quick...
You are going to love it! Good luck - on the new baby and clutch!

Sponsored

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
...Good luck - on the new baby and clutch!
Thanks! I'm excited for both. I don't think I'll try my hand at installing the new baby myself though, so there's a bit of a difference.

edm11

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Sport
Occupation
Financial Services
I think this clutch is what I need. Glad I found this thread. Been driving MT since 1985 and I stall my JT 2-3x a week around town. The vague pedal, high engagement and lack of sound makes me really have to concentrate when taking off in 1st. Have owned 8 MT and driven lots. Pedal Commander helped some, but I'd really love a heavier clutch feel with it engaging lower. I just spoke with Centerforce and rep said still backordered and possible to have some supply early Q1.

Frank...

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 6-speed
Just ordered the Centerforce dual friction from Quadratec a couple of days ago. Website is showing a February 15 estimated shipping date, so I’ll take that as the earliest it will ship.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I think this clutch is what I need. Glad I found this thread. Been driving MT since 1985 and I stall my JT 2-3x a week around town. The vague pedal, high engagement and lack of sound makes me really have to concentrate when taking off in 1st. Have owned 8 MT and driven lots. Pedal Commander helped some, but I'd really love a heavier clutch feel with it engaging lower. I just spoke with Centerforce and rep said still backordered and possible to have some supply early Q1.
Good luck! You are gonna love it.
Sponsored