Sponsored

Willys or Mojave?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other thing I like on this Willys is the Select Trac transfer case. The ability to switch to 4 auto to me is a must have feature. With the monsoon rains we seem to have in Florida and the many dirt, gravel and lime rock roads I find myself on I just pick 4 auto and roll on. The JT goes thru even the most washed out roads, mud and sand with ease. I am constantly impressed with its sure footed ness. Some think it is a lesser trim level but I find its perfect for my needs and others will too. Just my personal experience so far. All smiles.
The 4 Auto system can be had in the Mojave. I'm 99% sure it can be had in any model. Its a ~$600 option. I agree 100% in its value. I'm continually amazed that none of the jeeps I look at have this. Once you have owned an AWD car, you will never buy a vehicle that does not have this ability.

If I end up with a Gladiator, it will be a Mojave. I test drove a Mojave, Rubicon and Willys.

The Willy's comes with MT tires, which are MUCH MUCH louder than the AT tires available on either the Mojave or Rubicon.

It's ride motions were better controlled than either the Rubicon or Willys on the road. I'm coming out of a car.
Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Once you have owned an AWD car, you will never buy a vehicle that does not have this ability.
False.. I have an AWD car in the household & passed it on to my Girlfriend. I like it in the snow. But unless you have 90+ days a year where you are driving on actual snowy/icy roads then spending an extra few min to drive slow on those snowy days more then make up for the lower gas mileage. When I last drove in snow for more then 2 days straight it was 2018 & I was getting about 20 mpg in my AWD Subaru with a gutless 4 cylinder & my girlfriend was getting 29-30mpg in a v6 FWD car. Turning the extra running gear when you dont need it is just not worth it.

Now if you live someplace where your driving on snow/ice a large percentage of the time (probably greater then 20% of the year) then I would say its totally worth it. Most of the country doesnt have that issue though.

MojaveLawyer

First Name
Agent X
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Law & Veteran
It is totally up to you, and a budget you might have set. Personally, I went with the Mojave because mine nearly had everything you could possibly imagine with an MSRP of $63k. I negotiated and walked out with it at $51k, but also traded in my Rebel.

I seen someone talk about getting a Willy’s and upgrading it just as good as the Mojave. That’s a pretty good point too.

I would really sit down and compare the pros/cons, and perhaps test drive both. Good luck!
Jeep Gladiator Willys or Mojave? AD8C0074-EC54-4E7F-9EA1-AC003AC2570D

OldButStillJeeping

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, '92 Jeep YJ, 2017 F250 4WD
What's the source of that 2:1? Stellantis info? If true, it's definitely interesting. The Mojave definitely has a lot to offer, but for me personally the taller low range transfer case ratio is a bit of a bummer, especially if a future build includes larger tires.

Unrelated to the above, but I've found that whatever specific model/trim level/color/etc I am trying to buy, the salesman always says that is the hottest item on the lot and they can't keep them in stock. Oldest sales tactic in the book.
Well, you got me there Orange.. I did say , "I could be wrong". My unscientific 2 to 1 ratio comes from conversations with Jeep friends, but mostly from my monitoring of the local Jeep dealer's in my areas 'in and out' inventory rotation. I watched for a couple months prior to buying my Mojave.
As for salesman speak, I know what I want, if it's in stock, and what I'll pay before I even show up at the dealer. We Jeep people, as do most fast-car people, generally know more about vehicle models than most salesmen do.

My Jeep Mojave purchase conversation went like this:

"I want that JT, and I'll pay this much for it out the door. I'm putting this much $ down. I can finance it with you or my bank depending on your rate. Do your very best and meet my criteria and I'll buy it right now."

And they still tried the razzle dazzle BS.

Sleighman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Retired LEO
Vehicle Showcase
The 4 Auto system can be had in the Mojave. I'm 99% sure it can be had in any model. Its a ~$600 option. I agree 100% in its value. I'm continually amazed that none of the jeeps I look at have this. Once you have owned an AWD car, you will never buy a vehicle that does not have this ability.

If I end up with a Gladiator, it will be a Mojave. I test drove a Mojave, Rubicon and Willys.

The Willy's comes with MT tires, which are MUCH MUCH louder than the AT tires available on either the Mojave or Rubicon.

It's ride motions were better controlled than either the Rubicon or Willys on the road. I'm coming out of a car.
I am really making a bastard child out of mine. I bought a Rubicon Jt diesel Take off suspension from another member here. Changing out the Willys Suspension. Mainly for the higher front sping rate for heavier front steel bumper and winch setup. Budget lift. I'll keep my Terra Flex level also. It should sit just right. Plus I'll gain an inch or so of lift. My wife is short and has osteoarthritis so I don't want to get crazy on height.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I was set on a Rubicon, until the Mojave came out.
What I might miss in minor situations, is the 4 to 1 transfer case.
But the strengthened frame killed the Rubicon in my situation. And I do rock crawl...
Saw one too many bent frames online.

Honestly, Jeep did a diservice to the Rubicon with the Mojave. I expect Jeep to include the reinforced frame on Rubicon's by 2023. And make it more expensive than the Mojave.

I could be wrong, but to those buyers who know offroading; The Mo's are outselling the Rubi's close to 2 to 1.
That’s not what I see in my off-roading circles. Rubicon remains the trail king.

Mojave needs a front locker, a swaybar disconnect, a crawl ratio transfer case and rock rail extensions to deliver comparable levels of capability on the trails.

Jeep owned the trails; it created Mojave to bring the fight to Ford in desert running. Mojave is an excellent truck, but its mission is different than Rubicon’s.

I see for the next Mojave, Jeep taking the fight deeper against Raptor with more power, more features, and more price.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I don't think you'll find many people here who will suggest buying the less expensive/capable vehicle! I went Willys in part because of my budget and in part because of appearance -it has my favorite wheels in the whole lineup, and love the blacked out look. I fish and turkey and deer hunt on some fairy rough terrain, but nothing that an stock sport with no options couldn't easily handle. One could argue I didn't need a Jeep at all, but I'm not one to spend money to make my truck that much more capable than my needs. But if you are looking to rock crawl, I'd personally be looking Rubicon, which is priced in line with the Mojave.
I know this is an old post, but the Willys does have some nice looking wheels. My final choice was between a Willys and a Rubicon as well. I went with the Rubicon, but those black Willys wheels are nice.

Last edited:

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
ive been married now for a little over 40 years. The wife said she liked the green one, but get whatever I wanted.

I bought the green one.
BA784483-C1D3-45B7-BB14-E2C3700980B5.jpeg
Great looking Mojave! That was the only other color I considered behind Hydro Blue.

Capricorn

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mohave 2021 - Sarge Green
Occupation
Network Architect
ive been married now for a little over 40 years. The wife said she liked the green one, but get whatever I wanted.

I bought the green one.
BA784483-C1D3-45B7-BB14-E2C3700980B5.jpeg
Exact same color Mohave I have!

Last edited:

Sponsored

GCoop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave ( ̶O̶n̶ ̶o̶r̶d̶e̶r̶)

I bought the green one.
Smart, Really smart

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
First let me say the Rubicon and Mojave are awesome packages from the factory. Here's my story of why I chose the Willys. I have 4k miles on my Willys so far and I am very happy with my pick. It is perfect for someone that is no longer doing the aggressive off-roading. I still am setting it up to be a capable JT that can also get it self out of trouble. I have the bumper and winch sitting on the dining room table ready for install next week. That being said I know its not as badass off road as my Rubicon TJ from years ago that was beefed up for the GA mud pits but that is ok. This vehicle is serving a completely different role. I live in north Florida where we have swamps and lots of sand. Lockers are not always the answer. Plus for the price this thing was 10k less or more than a Mojave. I just couldn't justify the difference plus I traded a paid off vehicle and added cash to pay for this outright. I would have had to finance 10-15 k to get the Mojave. Plus I already knew I was gonna need some money to mod it.

One other thing I like on this Willys is the Select Trac transfer case. The ability to switch to 4 auto to me is a must have feature. With the monsoon rains we seem to have in Florida and the many dirt, gravel and lime rock roads I find myself on I just pick 4 auto and roll on. The JT goes thru even the most washed out roads, mud and sand with ease. I am constantly impressed with its sure footed ness. Some think it is a lesser trim level but I find its perfect for my needs and others will too. Just my personal experience so far. All smiles.

Present setup: 8.4Nav and Alpine, 1.5 TerraFlex level, 17x8.5 +10 offset Quadra Tech Morphic wheels, 285-75-17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Westin HD side steps, Folding hard tonneau, Rough Country MLC-6 multiple switch setup. Best mods so far. Passive Entry and BestTop Sunrider.
Jeep Gladiator Willys or Mojave? BA784483-C1D3-45B7-BB14-E2C3700980B5
Get Select-Trac! I have the Mojave manual and love it but could not find a manual with select-trac. After driving a Cherokee with select-trac for years I found it to be wickedly effective. I did not realize just how much Id miss it or would have held out. Greasy damp roads with Select-trac in the Cherokee are hardly noticed at all even when cornering. Uncanny actually.

PancakeCritter

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Occupation
Engineer
False.. I have an AWD car in the household & passed it on to my Girlfriend. I like it in the snow. But unless you have 90+ days a year where you are driving on actual snowy/icy roads then spending an extra few min to drive slow on those snowy days more then make up for the lower gas mileage. When I last drove in snow for more then 2 days straight it was 2018 & I was getting about 20 mpg in my AWD Subaru with a gutless 4 cylinder & my girlfriend was getting 29-30mpg in a v6 FWD car. Turning the extra running gear when you dont need it is just not worth it.

Now if you live someplace where your driving on snow/ice a large percentage of the time (probably greater then 20% of the year) then I would say its totally worth it. Most of the country doesnt have that issue though.
I'm with you here. RWD is just more fun....add snow tires and you can still go most places.
I ordered my Mojave with Selec-Trac because it still allows full time 2WD. All JTs have to carry the extra axles anyways. Selec-Trac is a no brainer...should almost be standard.

JDMRN81

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Nurse Practitioner
First let me say the Rubicon and Mojave are awesome packages from the factory. Here's my story of why I chose the Willys. I have 4k miles on my Willys so far and I am very happy with my pick. It is perfect for someone that is no longer doing the aggressive off-roading. I still am setting it up to be a capable JT that can also get it self out of trouble. I have the bumper and winch sitting on the dining room table ready for install next week. That being said I know its not as badass off road as my Rubicon TJ from years ago that was beefed up for the GA mud pits but that is ok. This vehicle is serving a completely different role. I live in north Florida where we have swamps and lots of sand. Lockers are not always the answer. Plus for the price this thing was 10k less or more than a Mojave. I just couldn't justify the difference plus I traded a paid off vehicle and added cash to pay for this outright. I would have had to finance 10-15 k to get the Mojave. Plus I already knew I was gonna need some money to mod it.

Present setup: 8.4Nav and Alpine, 1.5 TerraFlex level, 17x8.5 +10 offset Quadra Tech Morphic wheels, 285-75-17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Westin HD side steps, Folding hard tonneau, Rough Country MLC-6 multiple switch setup. Best mods so far. Passive Entry and BestTop Sunrider.
Are the Jeep wheel caps mopar? Where did you get them and were they cheaper then MSRP (which is crazy what they want for them)?

awraynor

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician Assistant

I bought the green one.
And why you've made it 40 years :)
Sponsored