Sponsored

Would you support a tax or fine for running larger tires than OEM?

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Do I get a tax rebate for staying off road since the fuel tax is used for roads?

I agree we already pay this in a multitude of ways.

Support it? Nope.

Will it happen? With the way things are going? Probably.
Agreed!! I fight this same logic on why I have to pay fuel "highway use" taxes for my boat? I don't trailer much and if I do, I'm paying that tax with the fuel I use in my truck. Many southern states allow you to get this tax back during tax return time (except my shitty state). While its not a huge expense on my current boat, my previous boat had a 150 gallon tank and got approx 2.0mpg at best cruise (35mph burning 15-16 gph). We'd burn 50+ gallons a weekend chasing fish / hanging out at the sandbar every weekend from May to September and this was back when fuel was $3-4 a gallon.
They're gonna make us pay one way or another.
Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
It appears the regulatory agency listened to to some out of state “experts “ and closed some evil natural gas and coal fired generation plants and relied on unreliable wind and solar and it bit them in the behind! I’m certain those fools are going to be fired.

I live in the western end of the state and we are on a different grid so our lights never went out.

Texas will bounce back soon enough.

Gregj
According to BBC, for what that’s worth, Texas gets 70% of its power from coal and gas plants, 20% from green sources, and 10% from nuclear. The storm hit all three. Texas lost 16gw due to frozen wind turbines, 30gw of coal and gas produced power, and a lack of water (for cooling) caused them to shutdown one nuclear reactor.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-56085733

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
According to BBC, for what that’s worth, Texas gets 70% of its power from coal and gas plants, 20% from green sources, and 10% from nuclear. The storm hit all three. Texas lost 16gw due to frozen wind turbines, 30gw of coal and gas produced power, and a lack of water (for cooling) caused them to shutdown one nuclear reactor.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-56085733
If you take those numbers at face value it appears that Texans were lucky that they weren't more dependent on green energy.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
If you take those numbers at face value it appears that Texans were lucky that they weren't more dependent on green energy.
In general, diversifying energy supplies should be a sound strategy - if its not forced by regulation that is out of touch with market forces. But in this case, you are absolutely right: a much higher percent of the wind-produced power failed when compared to power from coal and gas.

In Texas:
Green energy accounts for 20% of power production, but suffered a 16GW reduction.
Coal & gas account for 70% of power production, and (only) suffered a 30GW reduction.

But energy is like the stock market - you want a diverse portfolio because the future is uncertain. As to government putting its hand on the scales in favor of one energy source over another - well that's been going on since 1950. Between 1950-2016, the U.S. government spent $180 billion on energy subsidies: $85 billion for nuclear power, $60 billion for fossil fuels, and $34 billion for renewable energy. That distribution of subsidies has swung more recently, and in 2016, renewable energy received $10.9 billion in tax breaks, while the fossil fuel industry received $4.6 billion (Source: Congressional Budget Office, March 29, 2017). There are other types of government interference in the energy market too: the Obama administration put tariffs on solar panels imported from China, and paid out generous subsidies to U.S. solar companies, as well as subsidies for private citizens who purchased or leased solar panels. When you add up all the subsidies: "Most current federal subsidies support developing renewable energy supplies (primarily biofuels, wind, and solar) and reducing energy consumption through energy efficiency. In FY 2016, nearly half (45%) of federal energy subsidies were associated with renewable energy" (Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration, April 24, 2018).

Anyway... this is a Jeep truck forum, and the Gladiator needs a 5.7 Hemi option!

Last edited:

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
This thread should really be deleted before it gives a politician an idea for a new way to f**k us over

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
This thread should really be deleted before it gives a politician an idea for a new way to f**k us over
Too Late...the NSA is watching. Your words have been captured and will be discussed on the House Floor tomorrow. If found to be sound...in someone's unsound mind...they will be implemented. If found to be politically incorrect, you will suffer a long, agonizing digital death...no Jeep Gladiator Forum for you, Bubba.

Sponsored

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Would you like to build your own roads? Schools? Power plants? Water treatment plants?
Schools?-NO.
Power Plants?-NO
Water Treatment Plants?-NO
Roads? No need if you've got a Jeep.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
Would you like to build your own roads? Schools? Power plants? Water treatment plants?
Absolutely. To comment further would violate the "No Politics" rule. Peace.✌

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
I really don't see an additional tax for bigger tires. As it has been stated, generally speaking bigger tires leads to more fuel consumption. Being that fossil fuels are one of the biggest businesses in the US and have some of the most political power, the suppliers will fight for anything that allows the public to decide to burn more fuel.
By imposing cleaner vehicles, the politicians look good. Allowing the public to choose to burn more fuel again, allows them to look good by supporting our freedom and it makes their back pocket feel good while making the oil industry more money.

My 2 cents.

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Taxation is theft! Why pay taxes again on something you're already paying sales tax on not to mention state registration. Here is PA, out DOT is proposing adding toll booths to the bridges on the interstate to fix budget deficits, these asshats don't need any more money from me.

I may be bitter because I just had to write the IRS a check for $7k...