Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Hell all

Currently have a 2019 Wrangler Unlmited

owned it for a little over a year and it’s my first Jeep

Initially I loved it. However, had my first kid and took it on an 8 hour road trip and I knew then It was just too uncomfortable in the long run with a family

Put a deposit down for an F150 but constantly is getting delayed and been looking at the Gladiator. I just don’t NEED that big of a truck but it was comfortable and roomy

From my understanding, the gladiator rides better on the road because of its longer wheelbase.

Additionally, looking at the Mojave trim, the upgraded suspension makes it much better on the road too, least that is what I read

Would a gladiator be better suited for more comfort, etc for a family or should I stick to a larger full size truck?
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Interior volume for passengers will be the same on the gladiator as the Wrangler. If you don't like one, you won't like the other. We have one of each. The gladiator rides no better than the Wrangler.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
I'd suggest going to a dealer and taking a test drive so you can see for yourself.
It's really hard for someone else to let you know, if it is ok for your situation.

What's funny is we have a 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat edition. It's fully loaded.
It drives better and with less steering input
but
The Gladiator Rubicon is more comfortable.

Now that may sound weird, but here is what I mean.
In the Ranger, you feel every bump to a small degree as they get translated back into the cabin in an up/down motion. You also feel it front to back.
In the Gladiator, the suspension absorbs those same bumps and they never get felt by the passengers. In the process of absorbing those bumps, though, the Gladiator will sometimes follow the change in surface to a small degree, which can require a very very small input in the steering. It's the way the Solid Front axle reacts compared to IFS.

Also, the back seats of the gladiator has more room than the Ranger, I am sure the F150 has more room than the Gladiator, so these are things that also might be important to you.

It's really hard to describe, but you may prefer one or the other and my opinion might not be the same.
It does make for a great looking driveway having 1 of each.

Jeep Gladiator Wrangler for Gladiator? 1644773324363

Sportsbiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Digital Experience Program Manager
Curious, what exactly made that long road trip uncomfortable? You will still have the added noise and heat/cold associated with having any Jeep due to the fiberglass roof, and any truck (like the F150 you’re comparing against) with IFS will have better road manors. Then there’s the other things like seats etc, which are effectively the same as the Wrangler. Not knowing much more, if long road trips with family is the goal (without any wheeling that requires the agility a Jeep provides), then the F150 or similar full size may be the right choice for you.

Sponsored

WoolyKris

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineer
Get F150, Gladiator comfort wise will be same as wrangler. Longer wheel base is a bit more stable on the highway but wind noise and driving impressions are pretty much the same. If you get power boost waaay better mpg

Rares

First Name
Rares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
You won't notice much difference between the Wrangler and Gladiator.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hell all

Currently have a 2019 Wrangler Unlmited

owned it for a little over a year and it’s my first Jeep

Initially I loved it. However, had my first kid and took it on an 8 hour road trip and I knew then It was just too uncomfortable in the long run with a family

Put a deposit down for an F150 but constantly is getting delayed and been looking at the Gladiator. I just don’t NEED that big of a truck but it was comfortable and roomy

From my understanding, the gladiator rides better on the road because of its longer wheelbase.

Additionally, looking at the Mojave trim, the upgraded suspension makes it much better on the road too, least that is what I read

Would a gladiator be better suited for more comfort, etc for a family or should I stick to a larger full size truck?
I love driving my Gladiator and it was very comfy on our 5000 mile truck but it does have the driving characteristics of a solid front axle. I say if you want something that drives like a car get a Ram truck, just wouldn't recommend the diesel at this point

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
If you are going to be in the road a lot get the F150 more room and better driving the only difference in the wrangler and the gladiator is the gladiator had the bed they will both drive the same

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I have the Overland package on my Gladiator. A bit softer in the suspension so it'll ride nicer than the other Gladiators, including the Wranglers. I actually find my Overland more comfortable to ride in than my wife's '19 GC Limited.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
F-150 will be quieter and have more room inside. My gladiator rides like a dream so I don’t think the ride will be better with the F-150. Also, I’m pretty sure the gladiator has more rear seat leg room than a JL. My back seat is noticeably better than my 2017 Canyon or my 2010 Frontier and the seat itself is a lot better.

That all being said, if you didn’t like your JL enough that you got rid of it, I’m not sure that you’ll like the JT that much better. I’d recommend another mid sized truck if the back seats weren’t crappy. My 2017 Canyon drove and handled great, super quiet, it had lots of power and got better MPG. The back seat is the let down. Other than the cool factor of the JT vs Canyon.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
I have a 20 JTR and a 22 JLU Willys. The JLU drives a little better than my JT. It may be because it is brand new. If you don't like your JLU, you will not like a JT.

KevinC

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I have the Overland package on my Gladiator. A bit softer in the suspension so it'll ride nicer than the other Gladiators, including the Wranglers. I actually find my Overland more comfortable to ride in than my wife's '19 GC Limited.
My overland floated down the highway. After putting on a rubicon take off suspension, it still rides really well, but it took the float out of the ride.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Get the Ford, much more comfortable and way better manors on the road.

If you didn't like the Wrangler you won't like the Gladiator
I second this. The JT may even handle a little more drifty then the Wrangler. Something about that wheelbase maybe. I got the replacement iron steering box and that helped 50% but still a drifter. You better take the old lady for a long ride in the JT first.(You've been warned").