Sponsored

Z Automotive front trail cam reviews / feedback?

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
You also have the option to not wire it to an "always hot" link in your fuse box and be able to log onto it from within your home or hotel room if needed. I didn't know how much juice it drew, so I didn't wire it that way with all the battery issues it has. Knock on wood...I haven't had it yet.
Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Be a man and install the OEM front trailcam.

;)
Actually, I can't. I have a Bolt hood lock in the location where it would mount. The factory unit is not adjustable so it may give me a jacked image. Plus...this only cost me $58. I can put the rest of the $$$ towards a lift and tires when I get around to doing that.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually, I can't. I have a Bolt hood lock in the location where it would mount. The factory unit is not adjustable so it may give me a jacked image. Plus...this only cost me $58. I can put the rest of the $$$ towards a lift and tires when I get around to doing that.
There's also something to be said for working smarter...not harder.:fist bump:

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
There's also something to be said for working smarter...not harder.:fist bump:
Haha cheers man. I agree. I went in full OCD....was GOING TO DO THIS. I did...I like it....but ooof. Always available if anyone needs help doing the OEM.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha cheers man. I agree. I went in full OCD....was GOING TO DO THIS. I did...I like it....but ooof. Always available if anyone needs help doing the OEM.
LOL...I hear ya. I have several unfinished electrical task I just haven't had the time to clean up or finish. Just took a new job I don't have to work weekends so I'll have some time to free up. Hell, I have 19 day's vacation starting off I have to figure out and enter on a PTO sheet going around. I haven't had to deal with this since 2004.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I posted this in the what did you do TO your…

Not sure why anyone would go through the headache and expense of retrofitting a hard wired front camera after this

I purchased a GreenYi 5G wireless Wi-Fi camera from Amazon. Install took about an hour and could have taken much less, but I tend do chase squirrels…lol. At some point I may correct the angle a bit due to a touch of OCD, but it’s damn close. So, I was out < $60 and have a camera with fully adjustable guidelines…through wireless technology…less a power and ground wire. The ground is run to one of the numerous fender ground posts and the power is ran to the cigar lighter switched power fuse in the fuse box.

The last 2 photos where from a horizontal screen, which were too large of files to upload so I screen shorted them in portrait mode.

After I save my penny’s, get and install a Bulletpoint dash mount I’ll mount an iPad mini so I can run multiple tracking maps at the same time.

CB5A964F-5228-4E82-943F-84DE49507262.png
Thanks so much Dougstdig !!
Your recommendation was spot on !
I ordered the GreenYi camera as you suggested and it is fantastic ! I have both the Z-automotive camera and now the GreenYi. The GreenYi is much, much better and has the contrast you need to understand the terrain you are about to go over. The z-automotive camera tends to washout with high sunlight and the contrast is bad. It is really washed out with your headlights on - practially unusable. The GreenYi camera has fantastic contrast in sunlight and when the headlights are on. The GreenYi camera has wide angle, fisheye, and the lines are the screen are adjustable so you can set them to the middle of each front tire. This will help you align the big rocks to your front tires, so that you do not turtle. I used the Z-automotive camera on the Rubicon trail and it was extremely useful, but, if I were to do it over again, I would just get the GreenYi camera. It is a much better camera, you can see things clearly, and the installation is super easy. I just used a fuse tap for fuse 52 ( cig. lighter, acc. switched fuse). I mounted the GreenYi camera on top of the z-automotive camera with 2 zip ties on each side. I am keeping both cameras. I took some pics with another camera to give you a sense of the difference between the two cameras, but, the pics do not do the GreenYi camera justice. It is really much, much, much better than the Z-automotive and true HD with great contrast.

Jeep Gladiator Z Automotive front trail cam reviews / feedback? CjjrQh

Jeep Gladiator Z Automotive front trail cam reviews / feedback? wiowT8

Jeep Gladiator Z Automotive front trail cam reviews / feedback? 6LOcGS

Jeep Gladiator Z Automotive front trail cam reviews / feedback? 8juaRe

Last edited:

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the GreenYi camera as you suggested and it is fantastic ! I have both the Z-automotive camera and now the GreenYi. The GreenYi is much, much better and has the contrast you need to understand the terrain you are about to go over. The z-automotive camera tends to washout with high sunlight and the contrast is bad. It is really washed out with your headlights on - practially unusable. The GreenYi camera has fantastic contrast in sunlight and when the headlights are on. The GreenYi camera has wide angle, fisheye, and the lines are the screen are adjustable so you can set them to the middle of each front tire. This will help you align the big rocks to your front tires, so that you do not turtle. I used the Z-automotive camera on the Rubicon trail and it was extremely useful, but, if I were to do it over again, I would just get the GreenYi camera. It is a much better camera, you can see things clearly, and the installation is super easy. I just used a fuse tap for fuse 52 ( cig. lighter, acc. switched fuse). I mounted the GreenYi camera on top of the z-automotive camera with 2 zip ties on each side. I am keeping both cameras. I took some pics with another camera to give you a sense of the difference between the two cameras, but, the pics do not do the GreenYi camera justice. It is really much, much, much better than the Z-automotive and true HD with great contrast.

Awesome update. One thing to note, the Z camera is a lower resolution and Z is very upfront about it. The limitation is with the head unit.

Before knowing about the GreenYi, the Z was on the list. I figured for $58 it's almost disposable and it's just an easier install. I'm all about saving some coin when possible, but not at the expense of quality and the feeling of just doing it right. In this case, I'm happy...and I have more $$$ to spend to put toward other projects. :fist bump:

Wulfgott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PUNK'N 2.0L Turbo JLUR
Occupation
Meat Popsicle
Thanks for the info on the GreenYi camera. I just ordered one to play with and have interim until i have the time and money to do the factory style install on my 2020 JLUR.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info on the GreenYi camera. I just ordered one to play with and have interim until i have the time and money to do the factory style install on my 2020 JLUR.
No problem at all. You may find it's not worth the trouble or expense to go factory.

When I'm finally able to figure out what I'm going to do with the bed...Rack or Cap...I may attach one on either side of the bed so I can see creepy crawlers without sticking my neck out. You can select the way you wire it so you can monitor while the vehicle's off as well. Pretty cool item for <$60.

Last edited:

Wulfgott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PUNK'N 2.0L Turbo JLUR
Occupation
Meat Popsicle
No problem at all. You may find it's not work the trouble or expense to go factory.

When I'm finally able to figure out what I'm going to do with the bed...Rack or Cap...I may attach one on either side of the bed so I can see creepy crawlers without sticking my neck out. You can select the way you wire it so you can monitor while the vehicle's off as well. Pretty cool item for <$60.
In all honesty, while I REALLY REALLY want to do the factory install I probably will not. Just due to the cost first and time second.

I am also eyeballing these (or something similar).

https://www.amazon.com/STINGER-Wran...fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0&th=1

I just need to figure out a monitor that is small enough to stash in the jeep yet still big enough to use and be placed easily on a phone mount periodically.

Sponsored

danimal2000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
My hot spot on the phone isn't on. I just connect to the WIFI from the camera. I think it's the same as if you logged onto your home network. You click on "MyHome" or what ever your network is...and the image taken by your camera shows up on the app. You can save an image or video on your phone. You can make the tire lines disappear etc.

Hell, if you're running with some other Jeepers, and they have the app, they can log on to your camera if in range and see what you're going over.
Any idea what the wifi range on that camera is? I'm considering getting one and figuring out a way to easily move it from a front trail cam to a rear cam behind my camper when towing. But not sure if the signal would reach. 21 ft camper, so probably need about 30ft or so of range?

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any idea what the wifi range on that camera is? I'm considering getting one and figuring out a way to easily move it from a front trail cam to a rear cam behind my camper when towing. But not sure if the signal would reach. 21 ft camper, so probably need about 30ft or so of range?
Good question. I’ll see if there’s a way I can test it.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba

I wonder if a polarized film will sharpen the image on the Z cam?
Sponsored