Opinions on the Quad Lock line of phone holders

Madpayas0

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator S
I like the positive retention of the phone.....but only having a universal suction cup mount or a double back tape mount bothers me. Any long term users here with legit feedback?

Quad Lock mount
Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I like the positive retention of the phone.....but only having a universal suction cup mount or a double back tape mount bothers me. Any long term users here with legit feedback?

Quad Lock mount
Their new line of magnetic mounts just launched, so won't have a lot of long term feedback for a while yet.

That being said, they show their mounts as being so easy to align and then twist and lock into place, but I always seem to have issues getting my phone to aligned just right to the base mount. For my vehicle, a basic magsafe case with magnetic mount is strong enough and what I use daily. For bike rides or high impact use, I put my quad lock case on the phone and use the bike quad lock mount to ensure it doesn't dismount and go for a tumble.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Obviously an Aussie company or somewhere in Europe. He's driving on the wrong side of the road and from the wrong seat.

I've never had any luck with adhesives on any surfaces of a Jeep interior. It's always failed, even the top of the line 3M stuff.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Way too far away for me - I wouldn't be able to see, touch, or read it over there.
On the other hand, I rarely need the phone mounted for access.
But when I do - I want to SEE the screen and reach it without taking my eyes off the important stuff - like the road ahead.
Something straight ahead or almost straight ahead is best for my needs and liking.
I don't mind the one I have in the center of the top of the dash, but still wish it was closer to the left end of that dash recess up there.

Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Way too far away for me - I wouldn't be able to see, touch, or read it over there.
But when I do - I want to SEE the screen and reach it without taking my eyes off the important stuff - like the road ahead.
Something straight ahead or almost straight ahead is best for my needs and liking.
I don't mind the one I have in the center of the top of the dash, but still wish it was closer to the left end of that dash recess up there.
That’s one of the perks to me. Puts it just far enough away that it’s less tempting to mess with it while driving.

RustySeatbelt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I love mine. I'll take a picture when I get back home. I have mine mounted like this:
Ram tough mount: https://rammount.com/products/ram-dt-204-track-a12u
Ram track ball mount: https://rammount.com/collections/ball-bases-b-size/products/rap-b-354u-tra1#
Ram double socket arm: https://rammount.com/collections/socket-arms-b-size/products/rap-b-201u#
Quadlock 1" ball mount: https://www.quadlockcase.com/products/1-ball-adaptor-motorcycle?variant=694934470672

It's solid and super easy to click in and take out. Wouldn't run anything different... And won't since I use quadlock mounts on other things as well.

OP
OP

Madpayas0

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator S
Very much like to see this.....

I love mine. I'll take a picture when I get back home. I have mine mounted like this:
Ram track ball mount: https://rammount.com/collections/ball-bases-b-size/products/rap-b-354u-tra1#
Ram double socket arm: https://rammount.com/collections/socket-arms-b-size/products/rap-b-201u#
Quadlock 1" ball mount: https://www.quadlockcase.com/products/1-ball-adaptor-motorcycle?variant=694934470672

It's solid and super easy to click in and take out. Wouldn't run anything different... And won't since I use quadlock mounts on other things as well.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
I had a quadlock system on several long distance bicycle tours in Europe and the US. Worked great for that application, mounting a phone in a burly case on the bike stem for thousands of miles. Positive retention on the cleat, positive retention to the stem with zipties as well as VHB tape, worked great.

One thing you won't be able to tell just from looking at their website - the phone cases are typically pretty thick and heavy. I didn't like it for an everyday case. As soon as the tour was over, I went back to a slim carry case. See if you can try it out in a store before investing?

If you're looking for a system like this, have a look at the Peak Design cases too. I haven't tried one in person but they look slimmer

OP
OP

Madpayas0

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator S
I dont mind thick cases, as I'm currently running an Otterbox Defender......looked at Peak.....iPhone only and I am Samsung guy.

I had a quadlock system on several long distance bicycle tours in Europe and the US. Worked great for that application, mounting a phone in a burly case on the bike stem for thousands of miles. Positive retention on the cleat, positive retention to the stem with zipties as well as VHB tape, worked great.

One thing you won't be able to tell just from looking at their website - the phone cases are typically pretty thick and heavy. I didn't like it for an everyday case. As soon as the tour was over, I went back to a slim carry case. See if you can try it out in a store before investing?

If you're looking for a system like this, have a look at the Peak Design cases too. I haven't tried one in person but they look slimmer

Sponsored

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
I just bought a quad lock for the Jeep earlier this week. I have been using them on my motorcycle and mountain bike for a few years and just got the 67 Designs rail to dash mount my phone and a go pro in the Jeep. The 67 Designs carbon fiber arms can be bought for use with a 1” ball and I like the ball mount quad lock set up better than something like the adhesive mount.
For the motorcycle and bike I recommend using their vibration dampener also.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Yes, please - pics of system in JT. Intriguing.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That’s one of the perks to me. Puts it just far enough away that it’s less tempting to mess with it while driving.
My rule while driving - look but don't touch. I have enough issues with ADHD (severe) that I had to long ago set rules for myself that turned into habit. If I get a text, I don't care - I ignore it, not even curious, until I am stopped off the traveled portion.
Phone call - I only answer certain numbers I recognize under certain conditions, then I preface the answer with "I'm on the road so will keep this short". If it's "I can deal with this later" I tell 'em I'll call back later.
For directions/mapping, etc. - I pull over somewhere unless I can do a voice input like "map to xxxxxx" but if the traffic is heavy, I won't even do that. No human can multi-task. It's a myth, a fallacy, bunk. Literally not possible. But with my vision, I need the phone close - and I don't like it so far away I am reaching or trying to figure out what I'm ignoring.

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
I use a Bulletpoint mount. I like the Quad Lock but I didn't want to be limited to a particular phone case.

Jeep Gladiator Opinions on the Quad Lock line of phone holders 20220912_182621

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I use a Bulletpoint mount. I like the Quad Lock but I didn't want to be limited to a particular phone case.

Jeep Gladiator Opinions on the Quad Lock line of phone holders 20220912_182621
I like the looks of that as well. Adjustable beyond what my $30 mount is by 500 times.
I made an acrylic piece to attach my snow plow control to so I could put it in a phone mount and that DOES need to be within easy reach. I also like the large center opening with that one that it leaves for sun glasses or whatever.
I keep my phone on my belt most of the time so don't use a fat/bulky case made like a crate (because it also interfaces with my hearing aids to control the program running, and so on) so I use a slim case. I don't need a holder capable of handling a big box.

This is my cheapy with is limited in how far down it tilts so I modified the mount a bit so it sits at a bit of a forward angle in the part that attaches to the dash.

with the acrylic piece I made to hold the snow plow controller -

Jeep Gladiator Opinions on the Quad Lock line of phone holders phone-mount-2

You can sort of tell I took the mount out of the base and filed the bottom at an angle so it would lean farther forward when screwed back to the base in the dash. Apparently it was made for tall people as the phone almost pointed up a bit before I modified it.
It's cheap - and it works. But I'd rather have something more in reach, more adjustable, a bit closer and more sturdy, especially using it for a plow controller.

I bought a USB cable that has a 90 degree end so the cable wouldn't drop straight down across the radio screen when plugged into the phone.

Jeep Gladiator Opinions on the Quad Lock line of phone holders phone-mount-1
Sponsored