Sponsored

Why so many phone holders?

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
Honest question. I don't think I've ever been on a forum with so many threads/posts about phone holders.

What's the point? With either bluetooth or wired carplay you can see anything of value that would pop up on your phone on the radio display.

Are folks just like, driving around streaming netflix or something? :CWL:
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Not everyone has a head unit with a good display for CarPlay or Android Auto. In some states, like Nevada, it is illegal to even have the phone in your hand while driving, but it is okay to have it mounted in front of you and touch it with your fingers.

OP
OP
LouisvEarlleJT

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
Not everyone has a head unit with a good display for CarPlay or Android Auto. In some states, like Nevada, it is illegal to even have the phone in your hand while driving, but it is okay to have it mounted in front of you and touch it with your fingers.
Fascinating! I knew some early models had the 5" screen but hadn't thought about traffic laws.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
I don't even really connect my phone to CarPlay, maybe once a month. I just ignore all the phone holder threads/posts since they're not really applicable to me 🤷‍♂️

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I use Google Maps with Android Auto instead of the built-in NAV due to the live updates and ability to pick and reroute for the quickest path to the destination. I also seem to get better call quality over the USB cable. I have not yet installed a holder, the phone just lays on the passenger seat.

Sponsored

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
I don't want it in my pocket and there is nowhere else to put it in the JT besides a crappy door net, cramming between the cups, or constantly opening the center console - so it goes on a mount to the right of my dash screen. Has a home and out the way.

Pioneer7

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Medical Simulation
The age range of a majority of posters should tell you all you need to know. Looool... You're either an Uber driver or over the age of 35 if you still use a phone holder.

That or the likely more realistic answer is "offroad" stuff.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Honest question. I don't think I've ever been on a forum with so many threads/posts about phone holders.

What's the point? With either bluetooth or wired carplay you can see anything of value that would pop up on your phone on the radio display.

Are folks just like, driving around streaming netflix or something? :CWL:
I don't really like how android auto neuters Google map functionality so I don't use it much. I stream music and use Google maps on my phone.

I also don't want my phone just kicking around the jeep while I am driving.

Sponsored

WambliSka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2022
Occupation
Business Development
I'm a heavy user of Apple CarPlay (and technology in general) and the controls built into my Gladiator, and it makes my personal and professional life MUCH easier. I look for music/entertainment, directions, answer emails, text messages etc. all using voice commands or built in controls in the Jeep extensively while I drive, and it turns my occasional long drive into a lot more effective use of my time.

BUT, every once in a while I do need to hands-on access my phone because of limitations on CarPlay/Siri and right now It rides in an aftermarket plastic pocket organizer on the side of the console that I got from Amazon, actually a REALLY nice addition to the Gladiator.

So I've been looking/evaluating the phone holders as a "maybe" addition. It would be nice to be able to actually see/use my phone if touching something on it is a better option, than fishing it out of the holder and juggling it in my hands. Won't detract from the built in screen, which I LOVE, but it will add capabilities, AND I can then run and multiple apps at the same time.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Without threads like that, you wouldn’t find ideas to mount a microphone holder without screwing up your dash trim or putting a hole somewhere.

I guess haters gonna hate.

Jeep Gladiator Why so many phone holders? 34B7F2A9-3FA5-47E6-AA7F-8E4B41F8FA93
Sponsored