Sponsored

Better cost-effective aftermarket alternative to factory headlights?

Digster

First Name
Diggy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Collector
Two years in with a 2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary - all is well and vehicle performs as expected with no issues except for the stock headlights, which don’t provide much illumination on low or high beam and seem to be of poor quality - so hard to see that it’s a safety issue.

Has anyone replaced their headlights with a better cost-effective alternative they can recommend?
Sponsored

Last edited:

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
cheapish safe: upgrade the bulbs to a brighter burning halogen (Sylvania silverstars or similar)

very cheap questionably legal option, beamtech LED bulbs (enjoy the read, and re-aim your headlights after installation): https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/led-bulb-replacement-it-works.19953/

more expensive options are replacing the entire headlight bucket with higher performing ones such as Diode Dynamics Elite series, MOPAR units, or similar. If you upgrade to the MOPARs you'll need to flash the vehicle to enable the "LED" option and possibly wire in the halo light (difficult but not impossible) and then enable that with a programmer too.

OP
OP
Digster

Digster

First Name
Diggy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Collector
cheapish safe: upgrade the bulbs to a brighter burning halogen (Sylvania silverstars or similar)

very cheap questionably legal option, beamtech LED bulbs (enjoy the read, and re-aim your headlights after installation): https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/led-bulb-replacement-it-works.19953/

more expensive options are replacing the entire headlight bucket with higher performing ones such as Diode Dynamics Elite series, MOPAR units, or similar. If you upgrade to the MOPARs you'll need to flash the vehicle to enable the "LED" option and possibly wire in the halo light (difficult but not impossible) and then enable that with a programmer too.

Thank you kindly - I will go with the upgraded silverstar bulbs so I don’t need to re-aim.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Two years in with a 2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary - all is well and vehicle performs as expected with no issues except for the stock headlights, which don’t provide much illumination on low or high beam and seem to be of poor quality - so hard to see that it’s a safety issue.

Has anyone replaced their headlights with a better cost-effective alternative they can recommend?
I didn't wait two years to change out the bulbs.

Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Once compared to the other headlights out there, no one should ever purchase a vehicle with halogen based headlights.
Yes, it was quite a step down from my Subaru with directional HID headlights.

~$1,500 here and ~$1,500 there add up though. They’re safe. I just wouldn’t say that they’re anything to write home about (other than to say that they’re shit, lol).

Last edited:

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired

Richard79

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator sport, 2013 Jeep Wrangler saha
Occupation
Oil field
I had halogen on my jk, I switched to kc gravity series for the headlights and fog lights, huge difference! On my gladiator I just changed out the bulb to an led, again, huge difference

Sponsored

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I had halogen on my jk, I switched to kc gravity series for the headlights and fog lights, huge difference! On my gladiator I just changed out the bulb to an led, again, huge difference
I initially tried the same thing...changing the bulb to a LED bulb. Actually zero diffference due to that diffuser in front of the bulb (the one that has the Jeep grille on it...oIIIIIIIo ) blocks tons of light. Plus, the LED bulbs I got (can't remember which ones), I only had low beams. I pull on the stalk for high beams and nada, zip, zero, zilch...no change in light. That's why I went with true LED assemblies. Basically plug and play but, I did have to run a switched hot lead to power the halos. Still worth it. They are seriously bright. I don't get flashed by other cars but, they do throw some serious light, especially on high beams.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I initially tried the same thing...changing the bulb to a LED bulb. Actually zero diffference due to that diffuser in front of the bulb (the one that has the Jeep grille on it...oIIIIIIIo ) blocks tons of light. Plus, the LED bulbs I got (can't remember which ones), I only had low beams. I pull on the stalk for high beams and nada, zip, zero, zilch...no change in light. That's why I went with true LED assemblies. Basically plug and play but, I did have to run a switched hot lead to power the halos. Still worth it. They are seriously bright. I don't get flashed by other cars but, they do throw some serious light, especially on high beams.
I've been using these for two years, https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07GKCNPD1?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
First I admit I know SQUAT about lights: LED, halogen or otherwise. I know LED's are light emitting diodes and they use (I think) very little power - but do they get hot easily? Is that why Mjolnir says trouble with snow pack around them?

Anyway, I'd like to improve the lighting in my 2020 JTR. I don't know what it has stock and if you'd not stated the problem with just switching to an LED bulb or Sylvania Silverstars I'm sure I'd have just done that and called it good.

I couldn't care less about "halo's" - that's the typically colored light around the perimeter on "kid's cars"? So with that exceptions is there an easy-to-install option that's not hundreds and will work reliably without dangerous heat?

Last edited:

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker

Don’t hate me….. I put off putting JW Speakers in my JK for awhile…. 6-800 for headlights!!! 🤮 finally got lucky on eBay and picked up an open box for $400…. Hands down best money I threw at that Jeep…. The every day use should have made the justification easier.

Our JT has the led package…. To be quite honest if someone wanted to trade me heated JW’s I’d do it in a heartbeat…. The JW’s are nicer than the OEM LED’s…. (I know many will disagree 🤷🏽‍♂️ I prefer the slight color difference and the dual burn high beams of the JW’s…)

Just something to think about- I’m pretty frugal so to come out and say yeah drop a ton on lights…. I get it… but if/when you do…. You will understand.
Sponsored