Sponsored

Better cost-effective aftermarket alternative to factory headlights?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Another vote for the Silverstar Ultra bulbs if you do not want to spend the coin for LED's.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Once compared to the other headlights out there, no one should ever purchase a vehicle with halogen based headlights.
I would only say that with certain other vehicles, it's not as bad as the JT. These have a handicap from the words "let there be light" in the shape and the recess of the light. I've had good halogens in other Jeeps and my Chevy that blow the Gladiator and Wrangler halogen lights into the black nothingness. But then look at the shape and the fact other lights protrude beyond the grill or front corners. Even putting new halogen lamps in my SX4 and wiring them with much heavier wires and a nearly direct to battery relay system - the lights on that car will likely out-do a JT with halogen.
I'd never order a Wrangler or Gladiator with halogens, for sure.

First I admit I know SQUAT about lights: LED, halogen or otherwise. I know LED's are light emitting diodes and they use (I think) very little power - but do they get hot easily? Is that why Mjolnir says trouble with snow pack around them?

Anyway, I'd like to improve the lighting in my 2020 JTR. I don't know what it has stock and if you'd not stated the problem with just switching to an LED bulb or Sylvania Silverstars I'm sure I'd have just done that and called it good.

I couldn't care less about "halo's" - that's the typically colored light around the perimeter on "kid's cars"? So with that exceptions is there an easy-to-install option that's not hundreds and will work reliably without dangerous heat?
Be careful of LED bulbs in halogen lights. I know the internet experts will argue "they work fine" - not so much for those coming AT you and no, if you do a side-by-side, they aren't as good as full lights made FOR LED. There's also a legality thing although no one enforces it - it's not technically legal according to federal law.
Read the Daniel Stern write-up on such stuff.
Not for me - will only ever put the correct bulb in the correct housing to be safe, legal, get the BEST light, and to be kind to others on the road. you can say what you THINK you see - but if you know the science of the human eye and brain - you are being fooled. Tests show you don't see as well as you believe you do in reality when it comes to real situations.

Anyway, Yes, there is some issue with snow pack - the shape of these Jeeps is a funnel, a scoop. LED supporting circuitry gets hot - but not the LED itself. That's why you see massive heat sinks in high-output LED lights. I measured the cooling fins on the LED lights in my shop - enough to brand you or take your skin off- over a couple hundred degrees. Once the LED light strip I put on my wife's prior sewing machine was on for 10 minutes - it would burn you to grasp it and it kept melting off the adhesive. But the heat in headlights - LED headlights, is to the rear, the supporting electronics involved. The fronts do not get hot. And the "light is cool", unlike a more red light output that is actually lower frequency light that warms. Blue light is cooler - not only to the appearance, but the real heat, too.
I'd either upgrade to factory LED or Oracle heated LED headlights if I didn't already have the factory headlights.
If I could find a way to heat my factory LEDs I would.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
First I admit I know SQUAT about lights: LED, halogen or otherwise. I know LED's are light emitting diodes and they use (I think) very little power - but do they get hot easily? Is that why Mjolnir says trouble with snow pack around them?

Anyway, I'd like to improve the lighting in my 2020 JTR. I don't know what it has stock and if you'd not stated the problem with just switching to an LED bulb or Sylvania Silverstars I'm sure I'd have just done that and called it good.

I couldn't care less about "halo's" - that's the typically colored light around the perimeter on "kid's cars"? So with that exceptions is there an easy-to-install option that's not hundreds and will work reliably without dangerous heat?
The trouble with LED lights is they don't produce enough heat. If you live in an area that gets heavy snow, you need to look for heated LED lights to melt the snow that will accumulate around the housing.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
The trouble with LED lights is they don't produce enough heat. If you live in an area that gets heavy snow, you need to look for heated LED lights to melt the snow that will accumulate around the housing.
Neither do the stock halogen lamps.
As mentioned, it has more to do with the recessed placement of the lights than with the heat of the bulb.

Kevin

Sponsored

Kirk*Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Jeep Mojave/toyota camry
It's not just a jeep problem. My 19 f-150 had some pretty crappy halogen headlights also

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
My 2020 came with standard lights. I got LED's for headlamps and fog lights from Amazon, big difference.

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
While Iā€™m still very new to all this and my gladiator is a 2022 that has less than 1k miles on it, one of the first mods I did was swap out the halogens for oracle LEDs and I am not disappointed. I love the Halo DRLs and at night the lights are crystal clear.

I want to swap out the tail lights but havenā€™t found a reputable company for them. I read oracles are riddled with issues.

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
Why are halogens even offered? To keep sticker down for marketing or because a segment of owners insist?

Safety scores suffer with the halogens they are so poor. LED group was required in my mind. They are excellent if perhaps the cut off is too abrupt but that is considerate to other motorists.

Snow will pack up but so far Iā€™ve found a moderate coating doesnā€™t excessively diminish output. When the snow is wet and they are more prone to packing I have just stopped and used the opportunity to kick off buildup behind the wheel arches.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Why are halogens even offered? To keep sticker down for marketing or because a segment of owners insist?
I don't think a single owner would complain if OEM LED was standard. It would obviously increase the base price of the vehicle across all trims, but hey they're $50k vehicles anymore so what's another grand?

Sponsored

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
Damnā€¦
I can tell a lot of you guys have never driven with or donā€™t remember sealed beams!

Kevin
My other current vehicle is an 02' Winnebago with sealed beams that are, at best a suggestion of incandescence than real lighting. They may as well be carbide lamps. On dark, rainy PNW nights (basically after 4:30 PM any day of the week) I can hardly tell if the lights are on except if something is above road level and within 100'. I figure at least I'll get a look at the deer I am going to hit.

So sure, I am not saying the base halogens are bad, but the worse the weather, the darker the nights, the more you benefit from good lighting. Add high humidity/fog, dense dark undergrowth on the roadside, and a wet road surface, and the best of lights are challenged. I find that, particularly with well-worn road markings, the road surface becomes reflective and refractory to illumination when damp. The too-often glaring white light (to oncoming traffic) of the LEDs serve well in shining through the murk.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Damnā€¦
I can tell a lot of you guys have never driven with or donā€™t remember sealed beams!

Kevin
Hey man- a lot of those now have sealed LED retro kits out now! šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸŗ

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Snow will pack up but so far Iā€™ve found a moderate coating doesnā€™t excessively diminish output. When the snow is wet and they are more prone to packing I have just stopped and used the opportunity to kick off buildup behind the wheel arches.
And often it impacts the wiper blades. So, like you, I pull over safely, remove the build-up, get the ice and snow pack off the wiper blades (though these aren't nearly as bad as my other Jeeps or cars as far as wiper build-up).

When the weather is like that - no one should be in a hurry anyway. Drive safe, please! Pause, take a break, check your visibility, etc.
Sponsored