Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
this really help? - Disable the keyless entry/proximity feature
No, only in specific cases. It totally depends on HOW they are getting in. There are multiple ways these are being stolen- accessed.

If you have receipts for the build parts, the insurance company should reimburse for them.
That's a huge "it depends on your policy". There's no rule, no standard. Some may automatically, some say "up to $xxx is covered" and above that you need an added rider, others say only the vehicle, and you need a rider for mods or accessories.
There's no such things as "they will". Policies are contracts and written differently in different states, different companies, and depending on what you ask for and paid for.
My truck is covered and up to a certain dollar amount in changes. I have to have pictures and receipts. I can't just say "here's a receipt for a bumper" because I have no proof it was part of the stolen truck - could have been for my brother's Jeep.
Receipts help and work for many things, but my own agent said to avoid any future hassle, send him pictures. I do that for my other cars as well - any change, any fix, any improvement, he gets a photo and keeps it on file - and I have proof I sent it to him in the form of the emails back and forth.

YOUR policy may work a certain way, but that doesn't mean all others will. Always read the bloody thing and never assume. (and watch for wording that could leave an out)
Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Think I asked this before. Can one of the auxiliary switches be used as a cutoff? Have to press it either before or in conjunction with start button?

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
It sucks to have to turn off the features you bought/paid to keep the scum away!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Think I asked this before. Can one of the auxiliary switches be used as a cutoff? Have to press it either before or in conjunction with start button?
That could bit you in the butt if they stop functioning because of low voltage......... More than one person has started their truck and gotten the message that the aux switches are disabled for one reason or another, typically below a certain voltage threshold to preserve batteries.

But there's a lot of ways to rig these to not start that wouldn't be obvious if you know your way around the PDC and other areas.

OP
OP
chrisandrews

chrisandrews

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Consultant
That's a huge "it depends on your policy". There's no rule, no standard. Some may automatically, some say "up to $xxx is covered" and above that you need an added rider, others say only the vehicle, and you need a rider for mods or accessories.
Exactly correct. I did not have such an add-on. At least I had the ā€œdepreciation clause deleteā€.

Receipts help and work for many things, but my own agent said to avoid any future hassle, send him pictures. I do that for my other cars as well - any change, any fix, any improvement, he gets a photo and keeps it on file - and I have proof I sent it to him in the form of the emails back and forth.
I have every receipt and photos of everything installedā€”as I did them or just afterward. If that doesnā€™t help me this time, wellā€¦ it will be done as you described, next timeā€”frequent updates to my insurer.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly correct. I did not have such an add-on. At least I had the ā€œdepreciation clause deleteā€.

I have every receipt and photos of everything installedā€”as I did them or just afterward. If that doesnā€™t help me this time, wellā€¦ it will be done as you described, next timeā€”frequent updates to my insurer.
I'm really sorry - and can think of how I'd feel, that you had to go through this at all. Some say, it's just a truck - but we put ourselves into them. Even with no mods - there's the original selection process (and then the purchase process can be an experience! LOL), picking color, options, and it's YOURS. It's a thing, but then........ sometimes it goes beyond that. At least for me. I still have thoughts of a couple of my cars from the past almost as if losing something more than a car.

But you are now better equipped for the future. There's a positive in there somewhere, with a big enough shovel, it's in there.
I need to check my policy - for my 2011 Silverado I had no clue that my agent had put in "replacement value" for that truck. It was something like after I'd owned it 5 years, I think that's the number, I got a letter from the company saying that had expired and I could continue it for a fee, etc. etc. Well, after 5 years, naw. He's done things like that in the past - knows us well, since about 1982.
I have a feeling it's not part of this policy because these things are not cheap to insure and this truck is costing my a whooole lot more to insure than my Chevy ever did - and more than the 2020 did for some reason.

Some folks "self insure" meaning they'll eat the difference and take a chance and keep the policy price down, others can't really do that and would rather spread the cost out with a bit more expense in the insurance end.
It's all personal abilities, finances and preferences.

It sucks - try to salvage something from it all. (I type that knowing I'd be in full-on kill mode)

DCPHOENIX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Dad
Iā€™ve only had one thing stolen in my life and it was mountain bike when I was about 13. Loved that thing.
if someone stole my car Iā€™d be gutted.

Hope your insurance works out. I also hope the thieves crash it and are maimed

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
KITT - lock the doors and fill the cabin with CO............... (well, maybe not CO, but something that will render them wishing they were finding religion.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
KITT - lock the doors and fill the cabin with CO............... (well, maybe not CO, but something that will render them wishing they were finding religion.
Strobe lights inside with music playing at top volume from Saturday Night Fever. If nothing else the cops will pull it over for bad taste! :LOL:

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
MikešŸ–¤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
So sorry to hear this.:( Theft in Canada has been rising like crazy, it seems.

Out of curiosity, did you back into your driveway, or pull in?

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
If you have receipts for the build parts, the insurance company should reimburse for them.
Receipts only matter to the extent of your insurance policy. With USAA they only cover 10-15k depending on your policy......ask me how I know.

You if you have a heavy investment into your vehicle(s) beyond vehicle value, you need to be looking into specialty insurance or agreed upon value insurance. Yeah you pay some more upfront, but you're covered when the shit hits the fan.

You need to run a cost benefit analysis on what's best for you. But if you wanna be cheap, you can't complain when shit goes sideways.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Not sure who you're with but Geico has a 4k buffer baked into their (this was 2020) policies which covers aftermarket parts. I totaled a sorted Q60 RS and was covered for the 4k. Still lost my tail on that one but at least it helped. Beyond that buffer I was SOL but it was a pleasant surprise.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
Sorry man, that really sucks. Itā€™s just a vehicle but having anything stolen is a very personal thing. Makes you feel violated.
Sponsored