First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Until battery companies start actually using humane sources for cobalt, Iā€™m not buying an EV. Bad enough we all need phones, laptops, and any other items that require conflict minerals. The world is a messy place. Iā€™m frustrated and sad just thinking about it all lol.
This is a big one for me. It cracks me up how much the first world will bury its head in the sand in the name of maintaining their way of life. Can't see it, so it must not be happening. Google Congo cobalt mines if you're interested. Yea! Saving the planet!...

p.s. I'm as guilty of it as the next.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
That would be the future, charge while sitting at stop lights as well.
Yea, the charging infrastructure is going to have to seriously ramp up. I work for a major metro hospital and for all of the thousands of employees, they have, like, 6 charging stations in the parking garage. Being healthcare workers, they are parked in the same spot for 13+ hours. Not conducive to mass implementation.

Sponsored

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
The EV Tax Credit is Real (We got a plugin hybrid minivan last year). If you've been thinking about making the switch to and EV and cashing in on that tax credit, here is how it works.

There are three broad qualifications for the EV Tax Credit:
1. You must make less than $150,000 per year if you file taxes individually or less than $300,000 married and filing jointly.
2. Your EV car must cost less than $55,000.
3. Your EV truck, van, or SUV must cost less than $80,000.

However, because of some additional requirements written into the law, not all EVs within the price requirements qualify. Luckily, you can find the details on the IRSā€™s EV Tax Credit webpage (Manufacturers and Models of Qualified Used Clean Vehicles | Internal Revenue Service).

What's new this year is a tax credit for used EV purchases. This credit can equal up to 30% of the vehicle purchase price with a max of $4,000.

For the used credit the income requirements are a little different:
  • $150,000 if married and filing jointly.
  • $112,500 for heads of households.
  • $75,000 for all others.

Here is a list of all qualifying used EVs
(Manufacturers and Models of Qualified Used Clean Vehicles | Internal Revenue Service).
And remember, if you're buying a new car, Carmigo is the best way to sell your old one.
The "tax credit" is dishonest.... none of the manufacturers are going to eat 4k -7500.00, this "credit" just pushes that money from you paying it, to OUR grandkids paying it...

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Jeep Wrangler, 12 Acura MDX, 23 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Data Architect
Boy, there are a lot of misconceptions about EVs out there.

For starters, makes no sense to be upset at the TAX CREDIT. It is not a "free cash" equivalent being doled out to people or foreign governments. It is money we OWE as tax payers but donā€™t have to pay if we do something the Government wants us to do. If you don't owe taxes you don't get the tax credit, so it is not a rebate in the form of a check. In the grand scheme of things these tax credits amount to peanuts when compared to the billions in handouts given by Uncle Sam to "fill in the blank with entities you disagree with here"

We own a 99 Jeep TJ, a ā€˜17 BMW i3 electric vehicle (I bought used for $18K), and a ā€˜12 Acura MDX which we used for travel or trips that need us to carry people and stuff. Now, I did not get the BMW EV 2 years ago because I have a tat of Al Gore in my bicep, I got it because it makes a lot of sense to own one in the stable. To my surprise, the BMW is the one that is driven the most because it is fun and quick for most city missions, plus not having to add gas to it is a real bonus. The small BMW i3 is a great city car and gets a lot of use doing errands at home + it can be conditioned to heat or cool the cabin, which is great to have when doing those short trips to the store to buy beer and cigs.

With Tesla dropping the Y model price by 20% and re-qualifying the Model Y for the $7500 credit (under $55K) we decided to CASH IN on the opportunity to update our stable by selling the BMW i3 and Acura and replacing it with the 23 Model Y. The move realizes $12K in savings from last yearā€™s prices plus shaves $7500 from our 2023 tax liability. #YugeWinning, and who does not like to win? What my wife does not know is that this ā€œmoveā€ will allow me to get my Gladiator and get our car count back to 3. The Lord (and Elon Musk) do work in mysterious ways.

Now, for those that poo-poo EVs, Iā€™d say donā€™t knock them until you try them! We are no tree huggers by any means and two years ago were skeptics about EVs in general (as some have expressed in this here thread) but once you have one you really get to appreciate how much better they are over ICE vehicles for most DD city missions. They are actually fun to own (technology and human comfort) and drive, are subject to very limited maintenance, and topping the battery when we get home is a hoot! Even the brakes last a long time once you master one-pedal driving.

Batteries do degrade with age, but for most folks that is not an issue since no one really uses all of the range the car has every day. Having 250 miles or 200 miles available in the morning when we only use 50 miles a day is of no consequence, the only thing it means is you have to charge a few more times a year to keep the battery replenished. That is no different than a Jeep having an 18 gallon tank that shrinks to 15 gallons in 10 years, or a Jeep that rides on 35/37s and sees its MPG cut down by 15%+ā€¦ youā€™ll just have to make a few more pit stops a year, thatā€™s all. The fact that bigger tires cut down MPG is not stopping anyone from putting big tires on a Jeep, so a battery degrading over time is not going to stop anyone from owning an EV if we use the same logic regarding range losses.

I will close with this. My BMW i3 has only 100 miles of battery range and that has been plenty for our DD city missions. I installed an Amazon Level 2 charger 240V/16A with 10-3 wire on a 20AMP breaker for $230 in my garage and it charges the battery from zero to full in 8.5 hoursā€”there is really no need for a 50AMP $1200-$2000 charging station at home unless you drive 200 miles each day!. As far as charging stations go, I had never charged the BMW anywhere else but home. The need for charging stations is exaggerated as most charging can be done at home and if you are traveling Teslas superchargers can get you where you are going if you must travel far.

So yes, we are cashing in on Muskā€™s $12K price cut on the Model Y and the $7500 tax credit. Thatā€™s a good deal considering how expensive new cars are nowadays. The Model Y is good merge for the Acura and BMW i3, so no need to keep those two if we can have one to do both.

One last thing, Jeep and Tesla owners share one common trait.... A love for brands that are not exactly know for reliability and quality.

Last edited:
OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
We help sellers get multiple offer for their car in as little as one business day.

For starters, makes no sense to be upset at the TAX CREDIT. It is not a "free cash" equivalent being doled out to people or foreign governments. It is money we OWE as tax payers but donā€™t have to pay if we do something the Government wants us to do. If you don't owe taxes you don't get the tax credit, so it is not a rebate in the form of a check. In the grand scheme of things these tax credits amount to peanuts when compared to the billions in handouts given by Uncle Sam to "fill in the blank with entities you disagree with here"

We own a 99 Jeep TJ, a ā€˜17 BMW i3 electric vehicle (I bought used for $18K), and a ā€˜12 Acura MDX which we used for travel or trips that need us to carry people and stuff. Now, I did not get the BMW EV 2 years ago because I have a tat of Al Gore in my bicep, I got it because it makes a lot of sense to own one in the stable. To my surprise, the BMW is the one that is driven the most because it is fun and quick for most city missions, plus not having to add gas to it is a real bonus. The small BMW i3 is a great city car and gets a lot of use doing errands at home + it can be conditioned to heat or cool the cabin, which is great to have when doing those short trips to the store to buy beer and cigs.

With Tesla dropping the Y model price by 20% and re-qualifying the Model Y for the $7500 credit (under $55K) we decided to CASH IN on the opportunity to update our stable by selling the BMW i3 and Acura and replacing it with the 23 Model Y. The move realizes $12K in savings from last yearā€™s prices plus shaves $7500 from our 2023 tax liability. #YugeWinning, and who does not like to win? What my wife does not know is that this ā€œmoveā€ will allow me to get my Gladiator and get our car count back to 3. The Lord (and Elon Musk) do work in mysterious ways.

Now, for those that poo-poo EVs, Iā€™d say donā€™t knock them until you try them! We are no tree huggers by any means and two years ago were skeptics about EVs in general (as some have expressed in this here thread) but once you have one you really get to appreciate how much better they are over ICE vehicles for most DD city missions. They are actually fun to own (technology and human comfort) and drive, are subject to very limited maintenance, and topping the battery when we get home is a hoot! Even the brakes last a long time once you master one-pedal driving.

Batteries do degrade with age, but for most folks that is not an issue since no one really uses all of the range the car has every day. Having 250 miles or 200 miles available in the morning when we only use 50 miles a day is of no consequence, the only thing it means is you have to charge a few more times a year to keep the battery replenished. That is no different than a Jeep having an 18 gallon tank that shrinks to 15 gallons in 10 years, or a Jeep that rides on 35/37s and sees its MPG cut down by 15%+ā€¦ youā€™ll just have to make a few more pit stops a year, thatā€™s all. The fact that bigger tires cut down MPG is not stopping anyone from putting big tires on a Jeep, so a battery degrading over time is not going to stop anyone from owning an EV if we use the same logic regarding range losses.

I will close with this. My BMW i3 has only 100 miles of battery range and that has been plenty for our DD city missions. I installed an Amazon Level 2 charger 240V/16A with 10-3 wire on a 20AMP breaker for $230 in my garage and it charges the battery from zero to full in 8.5 hoursā€”there is really no need for a 50AMP $1200-$2000 charging station at home unless you drive 200 miles each day!. As far as charging stations go, I had never charged the BMW anywhere else but home. The need for charging stations is exaggerated as most charging can be done at home and if you are traveling Teslas superchargers can get you where you are going if you must travel far.

So yes, we are cashing in on Muskā€™s $12K price cut on the Model Y and the $7500 tax credit. Thatā€™s a good deal considering how expensive new cars are nowadays. The Model Y is good merge for the Acura and BMW i3, so no need to keep those two if we can have one to do both.

One last thing, Jeep and Tesla owners share one common trait.... A love for brands that are not exactly know for reliability and quality.
The last line about jeep and tesla owners staying loyal to their brand is priceless. But thank you for the insight and adding to the conversation!

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
We help sellers get multiple offer for their car in as little as one business day.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting!! Maybe you'll get a chance to take advantage of the tax credit.
Drove 30 miles and used a fraction of a gallon of gas.
Jeep Gladiator Are You Thinking About Cashing in on an EV 20230123_190041

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD, 2021 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator LE
Our next Wrangler will be a 4xe. But, two gladiator Rubicons in the drive now. So it's gonna be a bit.

Stan H

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2021
Occupation
Safety Consultant
The last line about jeep and tesla owners staying loyal to their brand is priceless. But thank you for the insight and adding to the conversation!

Bwahahaha what a load of Rubish !!! Not a tree hugger huh okay maybe your just in a place where you can charge one . Try living away from a big city or going overlanding, or Baja trekking .. Give me a break bub. Listen if you think 21 miles on full electric is good and going from a 3.6lt. To a 2.4lt. After the electric part is depleted your sadly confused. IT takes MORE burning of fossil fuels to produce the electric that charges the outrageously priced batteries. Than it does to just use the fossil fuel in the vehicle to begin with . It has literally crash California's electric grid. They are now asking people NOT to charge their electric vehicles..lol what a waste of money. I just read a story about some parents who bought their daughter a used electric car. Paid 11,000 for it had it for less than 6 months the battery went bad went to dealer theu said yep it is a bad battery . Total cost to replace 14,000 dollars. They can take those electric vehicles and shove em where the sun dont shine. PERIOD !!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
IT takes MORE burning of fossil fuels to produce the electric that charges the outrageously priced batteries. Than it does to just use the fossil fuel in the vehicle to begin with
Sorry, it does not. Absolutely does not. Not in Iowa where most of our electric comes from wind.
It's been debunked about "more fossil fuels" to charge the batteries. Math proves it.
2.5 hours to charge and it can be scheduled.

Stan H

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2021
Occupation
Safety Consultant
Sorry, it does not. Absolutely does not. Not in Iowa where most of our electric comes from wind.
It's been debunked about "more fossil fuels" to charge the batteries. Math proves it.
2.5 hours to charge and it can be scheduled.
Okay whatever ya think bub ..you do know each one of those wind turbines takes many gallins of oil!!!??? And you did know they kill birds , do you think that applies to every state?? Scheduled??? Get real dude ! That is just Ludacris. I tell ya what you believe it your way and I will believe it my way . Have a great time with that hope it works out for ya šŸ™„
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.