Not open for further replies.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
There was an article published last week of the dangers of EV's especially with long range EV's. The weigh is getting high enough that they can be like torpedoes. They also mention the fire hazzards. Firefighters are now getting training on how to deal with it.
Eh, we just remove or contain any exposures and if equipped, spray foam on them.
Sponsored

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
Wireless charger like your phone. Drive onto a big pad in your garage, then from there, all solar powered.
That would be the future, charge while sitting at stop lights as well.

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
Honestly in my current living situation, if I had the extra money (emphasis on an extra 50K - props to those who have that kinda money) I wouldn't mind a hybrid wrangler. My current work commute is 3 minutes. No joke. Im just too lazy to walk when its 0 degrees. My other primary drive time is to town for dr appointments once or twice a week. It makes me cringe knowing I put a useless 150-400 miles on my JT each week just to run errands. It would seriously save needless wear on the JT and keep it for outings. As it is I try and drive the TJ to work and to do errands when possible but its not super fun to drive on nasty roads, and the tires on it currently are horrid. Being with hearing problems I also do like the idea of things being quiet. Although wind noise is a factor loud engines are now a pain in the butt as it causes migraine flair ups and brain fog. But the fact they are doing these tax credits is totally garbage. And by no means would I get one with even a twinkle of an idea that they are better for the environment. But I mean all these ‘overlanders’ with crazy powerful battery setups cant really complain. I mean, Im sure the hybrid/EV development helped to increase smaller battery capacities and functionalities.
EV's totally make sense for a significant number of people. My old commute was 50mi each way as it was for tens of thousands of others in the region. For those folks in that situation there are significant tangible benefits with an EV. That use case is mostly confined to major urban centers and the suburban rings around them. While we should really be investing in public transport, good rail networks are amazing, that's not where we are at. If we were really serious about environmental stewardship, robust public transportation networks are where it is at.

I recall living in Germany where even small towns in 'rural' areas were easily accessible by rail with a short, painless hop on a bus. Different context in the US but we could still do better by having an auto train for example that runs coast to coast.

Sponsored

Mflowers11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Hi Alt, 2017 Wrangler, Rcky Mtn
Occupation
Finance
To be clear, my Gladiator runs on recycled dinosaurs.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
EV's totally make sense for a significant number of people. My old commute was 50mi each way as it was for tens of thousands of others in the region. For those folks in that situation there are significant tangible benefits with an EV. That use case is mostly confined to major urban centers and the suburban rings around them. While we should really be investing in public transport, good rail networks are amazing, that's not where we are at. If we were really serious about environmental stewardship, robust public transportation networks are where it is at.

I recall living in Germany where even small towns in 'rural' areas were easily accessible by rail with a short, painless hop on a bus. Different context in the US but we could still do better by having an auto train for example that runs coast to coast.
EV’s for those in developed areas sure. But to clarify I would never get a EV. For me i think they are a terrible option. I do like the wrangler because it is a hybrid. Meaning it can run on electric for a time but it still has a gasoline engine. Where I live a EV simply will not work for a full time rig. And it would only get me one way to town. i would need that gas hybrid to get back home or be stuck for a few hours while charging.

Rail networks are neat. I rode them a fair bit when stationed nesr the DMZ in S Korea. But I still wouldnt use one even if we had them here. I just dont like waiting for public transit and being restricted by time and space of when and where you can go. And thats why I dont think public transit will ever really be successful here on a large scale. Too many people enjoy the convenience of going when and where they want

Mflowers11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance
Ummmm.......

Great share! People are willingly blind to the EV reality, imagine if all the cars were EVs, the strip mining that would be needed and the blackouts that would occur. We don’t have the infrastructure to manage it and won’t for years!!!

I have a good friend that it has worked out great for and has had significant net savings. He was telling me a few days ago about how the oil companies and “conservatives” would dig up and ruin all our natural resources if given the opportunity if that meant a profit would be generated. I asked him about the issues surrounding rare earth metals, strip mining etc. He had no answer and basically thinks we take the good with the bad…. Which is exactly the point I was trying to make.

People like to ‘feel’ like they are making a difference and take the simplest solution not the best one. They go wide not deep into issues. There is no good energy solution and honestly if Gore, Kelly, Obama, & Biden (I could go on forever) believed the sea levels were going up as fast as they say and the weather patterns are becoming more dangerous they would quit flying private jets, sell their ocean front properties that will soon be under water and practice what they preach.

It’s all business, marketing and a power grab on both sides of the argument. These are the same people that said plastic grocery bags (made of petroleum) were supposed to save the trees, instead they kill the oceans etc….

All that said, I would buy an EV for my wife who has a 26 mile round trip commute but she doesn’t want one yet.

Mflowers11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance
"Cashing in" isn't what happens. You pay twice as much money for a car that can't be used when it is cold, causes you to spend 1.5 more times getting somewhere, and has no long term track record.
That’s false and I’m not a fan of EVs. Your statement falls into the same class of argument the other side makes. “It’s not right for you because it isn’t right for me.” Examples…

Charge a Tesla off peak hours and you’ll save a shit ton of $$$money$$$ compared to gas.

If you have a 50 mile commute, even during the winter (30% reduction) you have 200 miles of juice left when you close the garage door.

Causes fires? I live in a house that was a total rebuild because of a fire caused by a diesel block heater….

There’s good and bad on both sides and I comes down to a cost benefit analysis, plain and simple. Know your issues before making blanket statements my friend…

Sponsored

WesternJeep401

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR EcoDiesel, 2020 JLUR Supercharged
Occupation
Govt
Short-run, no. Long-run, not likely until sufficient life-cycle cost feedback is generated.

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
I use Lithium cordless for my leaf blower, trimmer and power tools. They're great and almost maintenance free. The downside is the cost of the battery's.

I haven't seen a battery powered mower yet that would make me sell my toro timemaster and I don't see too many zero turns being used but they are heavily advertised. I think there's an issue with the technology if it can't sell itself and has to be pushed and heavily subsidized to the masses.

Then there is the question of if we are bending backwards to reduce our carbon footprint, how much good are we doing if the countries making all of our products are negating our emissions reductions with their non existent self regulation?

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
I've daily driven a Tesla Model Y recently for about a month or so (I don't own it though). While there are specific things I enjoy/dislike specifically about the Tesla I'll try to limit it to EVs in general on my opinion:

- It's a great around town commuting vehicle. It has plenty of acceleration to navigate around traffic easily and range isn't an issue when your only driving around town
- Range anxiety is a thing. I feel a constant need to charge it up when I'm at about 40% charge
- Range doesn't work out on highways. I used up about 300 miles of range in 200 miles on a 70mph highway staying with traffic.
- Charging at superchargers took longer than I expected. I also had trouble Christmas weekend where the charging station was nearly full when I arrived. This is also in CA which seems to have a better infrastructure than most other states
- Charging at home is extremely easy, cheap, and fast (enough) if you have 240V set up for it.
- Driving out of town required planning on where I wanted to stop and charge. Although tesla had charge point recommendations it gave, I sometimes changed them to different chargers that I knew had more stores or other items of interest to keep me preoccupied during the charge time. Being spontaneous felt like less of an option while long distance traveling.

Overall, I think they work well for in town, low mile per day commuting assuming you have the ability to charge at work/home. If I had space for an extra vehicle and the ability to charge at home I could see using one as daily. For me though, I would not want it as my only vehicle.

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
We help sellers get multiple offer for their car in as little as one business day.
That bit about "emissions" and "bad for the environment" has been disproven, actually. There's a number of scientific articles that actually come from decent sources and debunk the "I hate EV" web sites.

But this thread isn't about your hate of EVs or hybrids. It's about learning some facts about credits and so on.

Besides, electric will kick your butt in the 0-60 acceleration bit.

This thread was informational, not to convince anyone. There's other I hate EV threads.
Thanks for this reply. The goal is to inform not convince.

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
We help sellers get multiple offer for their car in as little as one business day.
Thus the reason for the price drop for a couple of Tesla models........ get under that 55 cap.

Not looking at EV, we're in the sticks and it's a half hour or miles to anywhere at all.
But looking for a purple (reign) JLU for my wife.
She sort of frowns when I mention "hybrid" or "electric".

If it was just me - probably.
Understandable! The lack of charging locations is a drawback
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.