First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Semi truck Wrecker recovery
If I'm able to lock/unlock and start my truck from the app, why can't I disable it with a virtual "kill switch"? I can say that if it had a feature that required a PIN, or something similar, to drive my vehicle away, I would most definitely subscribe to Uconnect for that one addition. I don't know about you all, but that's literally ALL I want/need from this app. I know that anyone who puts $10000-$100000 or more into their vehicle, they would be more than willing to pay $15 a month to keep that investment from being taken. These vehicles are just too easily stolen. You can literally buy an item from Amazon to grab my key's signal and reproduce it to take my vehicle. So if my vehicle is stolen tomorrow, my insurance will cover the truck itself, but the other $15000 is mine to eat. I had my previous build taken from the dealership's service bay, so I'm all too aware of what your insurance company will take care of. I would think that if a company like Z automotive can figure out how to do this, surely there is something that the producers of the vehicle can do that is similar. Is this a bad idea?
Sponsored

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Why wouldn’t they just get the tazer for a one-time coat instead of paying monthly?

OP
OP

Fermion60

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Why wouldn’t they just get the tazer for a one-time coat instead of paying monthly?
I think ease of use mostly.. I know my wife wouldn't mess with punching in a bunch of buttons on the steering wheel in order to start the truck. She would however open an app and push a button.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
THAT is a great idea, a Pin required before you hit the remote start or the actual start button

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I think ease of use mostly.. I know my wife wouldn't mess with punching in a bunch of buttons on the steering wheel in order to start the truck. She would however open an app and push a button.
What if you are in an area with no cellular service, then how do you start the truck? What if the phone is lost or stolen?

The truck requires the FOB signal to be in the cab to drive it away. That is all you're going to get from Jeep. If you want any kind of kill switch, you will have to add it.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If I'm able to lock/unlock and start my truck from the app, why can't I disable it with a virtual "kill switch"? I can say that if it had a feature that required a PIN, or something similar, to drive my vehicle away, I would most definitely subscribe to Uconnect for that one addition.
You need a PIN or other type of security (I used my fingerprint) to launch the app to remote start it.
Starting it doesn't equate to having full access and driving it away.

Dig, do some research.

OP
OP

Fermion60

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
What if you are in an area with no cellular service, then how do you start the truck? What if the phone is lost or stolen?

The truck requires the FOB signal to be in the cab to drive it away. That is all you're going to get from Jeep. If you want any kind of kill switch, you will have to add it.
That's a good point.. I wasn't trying to say that it was an always on thing though. What I thought would be good is if it was something you could toggle in the app. That way if it was a concern (i.e. Overnight, unknown area) you had the option to require a PIN.

OP
OP

Fermion60

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
You need a PIN or other type of security (I used my fingerprint) to launch the app to remote start it.
Starting it doesn't equate to having full access and driving it away.

Dig, do some research.
I'm talking about people stealing it with a relay/repeater or even with the key itself.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
That's a good point.. I wasn't trying to say that it was an always on thing though. What I thought would be good is if it was something you could toggle in the app. That way if it was a concern (i.e. Overnight, unknown area) you had the option to require a PIN.
Yeah, sounds like you want a Tazer. It will give you exactly that functionality. The app won't.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It would be a nice option to have. Jeep would have to provide a way for dealers to reset it, which would eventually get shared on the internet, and then it would lose all value.

The Tazer option is the closest thing that will be available. It will only stop those that don't know how to disconnect it.

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran
Can you imagine the havoc and liability of remote killing a vehicle traveling at highway speed?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Liability is the primary reason remote functions are limited to Location, Start, Horn, Lock, and Unlock. There is no direct access to the computers, it's all filtered through the head unit, with safety checks before anything is allowed.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
The Jeep/Uconnect App already requires a PIN entry for Remote Start.
Thats funny, I can remote start mine (within FOB range) at any time without any pin or thumb scan or whatever you are talking about. Do you mean start it when Im 10 miles away in another town? Well no, and who would anyway

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thats funny, I can remote start mine (within FOB range) at any time without any pin or thumb scan or whatever you are talking about. Do you mean start it when Im 10 miles away in another town? Well no, and who would anyway
The FOB can be used to Remote Start the vehicle at any time, within FOB range, with no security checks.

The Phone App requires a Sirius Guardian subscription and a PIN entry to Remote Start the vehicle. It can be done from anywhere the phone has internet access, as long as the vehicle is in a location that has cellular service.

Either Remote Start option has to pass the safety checks before the vehicle will actually start. Those include the doors and hood being closed and the vehicle off and in park.
Sponsored