Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I don't need the Rubicon features in my truck, so I won't pay that premium. That being said, there are some interior features that I will likely want to implement since they will make the hauling of family a bit less stressful. Specifically;

• Charging ports for the back seat - there are JKU mods for this
  • Armrest for the back seat - not sure about this one yet
  • Make the back seat more "recliny"? - there are JKU mods for this
  • Headliner for temperature and noise reduction
  • Bed plug (outlet) (vs factory)
  • LED Headlights
  • LED Fog Lights
  • LED Taillights
  • LED Interior lights
  • 8.4" UConnect Upgrade
  • Molle Seatbacks
It seems like you can get everything else fairly easily, and the above aren't all Rubicon exclusives. I'd like to start to build a page for making your non-premium version of the Gladiator into something with creature comforts. Gonna go mine links from the JL boards now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Add: bed plug (keep doors mechanical), LED

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Add: bed plug (keep doors mechanical), LED
I'm not a big fan of the ever increasing use of high tech in MY vehicle choices, but, power windows have been a part of ALL vehicles for SO long now . . . it's like second nature to me ! Seems ODD to not have it now ! I dig the Rubi and all its added capability . . . IF I had the "balls" to do the things Rubi-Guys tend to do (vs. non rubi-guys) ! But I'm ok with a Sport S (wish I could get it with the JK's popup CD player/radio of old, ha !). Wish Jeep would bring back the CD player for the Wranglers, like they've done for the RAM 1500's ! Really miss playing my large CD collection - Classic '60's/70's R&R, JAZZ, and yes Classical - love Mr. Beethoven . Of course the 200+ Less poundage is nice too - probably makes the Sport S a tiny bit peppier ! I can Dream, can't I ? :( ;) :) . . . :clap:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm not a big fan of the ever increasing use of high tech in MY vehicle choices, but, power windows have been a part of ALL vehicles for SO long now . . . it's like second nature to me ! Seems ODD to not have it now ! I dig the Rubi and all its added capability . . . IF I had the "balls" to do the things Rubi-Guys tend to do (vs. non rubi-guys) ! But I'm ok with a Sport S (wish I could get it with the JK's popup CD player/radio of old, ha !). Wish Jeep would bring back the CD player for the Wranglers, like they've done for the RAM 1500's ! Really miss playing my large CD collection - Classic '60's/70's R&R, JAZZ, and yes Classical - love Mr. Beethoven . Of course the 200+ Less poundage is nice too - probably makes the Sport S a tiny bit peppier ! I can Dream, can't I ? :( ;) :) . . . :clap:

I'm mixed on the deck also. I'm against spaceship coloration. Just give me a button or knob thats dust and water proof. Liking satellite radio too. Ever since I turned in my 6 CD changer full I'm kinda bent about it. Still missing my 1st side of Stones 40 licks!

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I don't need the Rubicon features in my truck, so I won't pay that premium. That being said, there are some interior features that I will likely want to implement since they will make the hauling of family a bit less stressful. Specifically;
  • Armrest for the back seat - not sure about this one yet
Ok eternus I got kind of a crazy idea for you but it may be possible to be done. As everyone knows the Gladiator is based on the Wrangler platform. Almost everything from the doors forward comes from a Wrangler. Try to find a totalled Wrangler that had a center folding armrest with drink holders built into it. Buy just that entire section(passenger side vertical section with adjoining center vertical section which has that center armrest in it.) Don’t need to buy the bottom seat cushion. Then take this and your Gladiator to a good upholstery place. They may be able to take the cover off of your Gladiator seat and put it on to this Wrangler seat and then put that seat into your Gladiator. The biggest potential problem with this may be with the back section of the seats. The back of Gladiator seats have 2 cut outs for the seat to be secured to the back wall of the Gladiator while the back of a Wragngler seat must attach to the back side sections of a Wrangler. And the 3 child seat teather anchor points may also be in slightly different places. And yes the fabric may be a different color. But hey why not get them to recover all of your Gladiator seats with leather while they are doing this? That way everything matches. Just a wild, crazy idea. May be a lot more difficult to do or may be just a mild strain to the brain of your upholstery place and may be easy for them. But once you are done you will have a Sport Gladiator with leather and a fold down center arm rest in the back seat.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Well boys I'm thinking you can likely count me in on this project, for the most frivolous of reasons too: just can't seem to get past the darned red stitching. Yes I'm aware of the other option w/ the saddle leather seats - not sure what you call that stitching white? Corn-silk? Anyway not a fan of it either.
Now that the configurator doo-dad seems to be working, looks like you can get heated seats/steering wheel + remote start w/ the Sport S. Check

Any word on whether it would be easier/better to go from the standard small screen to the 8.4" or the ~7" one to the 8.4"?

Lastly, I Really like the LED lights, what a pain to change all that out. Maybe by the time the diesel is available, they'll come around?

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Any word on whether it would be easier/better to go from the standard small screen to the 8.4" or the ~7" one to the 8.4"?
This is the one thing that i'm grappling with now. If you get just the 5" default radio then I don't think you get the Satellite hookup for satellite radio... you also don't get the climate control options. I'm not sure what happens if you bump to the 7" aftermarket... do you just get those options?

Similarly, if you go to the 8.4" after launch, you don't get the GPS antenna needed for navigation.
I'd love to get the 5", find an 8.4" and then upgrade and add as many features as possible to work with that.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Similarly, if you go to the 8.4" after launch, you don't get the GPS antenna needed for navigation.
I'd love to get the 5", find an 8.4" and then upgrade and add as many features as possible to work with that.
I was just reading a JL thread from somewhere this morning, where they thought the GPS stuff is built into the 8.4"?
By the time the diesel gets here, you guys should have it all sorted out :like:

Just realized, no proximity door unlock for Sport S :crying:

EDIT: I think it was here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/7”-to-8-4”-upgrading-screen-size-success.13564/page-2

Last edited:
OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
This is the one thing that i'm grappling with now. If you get just the 5" default radio then I don't think you get the Satellite hookup for satellite radio... you also don't get the climate control options. I'm not sure what happens if you bump to the 7" aftermarket... do you just get those options?

now that i got apple car play working i'll use google maps most of the time, though Satellite GPS would be nice when i don't have DATA coverage.

Sponsored

Kdmerchant

First Name
Ketan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Gobi Rubicon
Has anyone figured out easy options for the bed outlet? Do we assume the wiring will be there to hook into if you remove a plate?

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Has anyone figured out easy options for the bed outlet? Do we assume the wiring will be there to hook into if you remove a plate?
I keep thinking run a separate wire even if to aux switch for on/off. Don't want Any elec probs.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I keep thinking run a separate wire even if to aux switch for on/off. Don't want Any elec probs.
isn't that thing only 300 watts? That's SO weak. I'm thinking some kind of DC/AC converter with large gauge wire run to battery, but use the factory 120volt plug in the bed for a nice factory look.
Sponsored