"Rubicon"ing your Sport

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Not your exact question, but I did a similar price comparison between a Sport S with max towing and a Rubicon with regular towing package. Both builds have A/T, 7" radio, black hard top, aux switch, tonneau, and slush mats, so pretty similar builds overall:

Rubicon build MSRP + dest: $49,425
Sport S build MSRP + dest: $44,960
difference: $4,465

Rubicon build invoice + dest: $46,901
Sport S build invoice + dest: $43,299
difference: $3,602

Assuming you get pricing as a discount on invoice, the difference is $3,602 for this particular build. That's not all that much to jump all the way from Sport S to Rubicon.
Thank you. Sort of confirms it may be a non issue, priced close enough, now it is just down to style? ...
Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I posted this in another thread, but this might be relevant to you folks here on this thread too. Here is a shot of a Sport bed without trail rail, and without the outlet, and without the bedliner:

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I was thinking of going with a Sport S and upgrading it to Rubicon specs but when you consider the e-lockers, sway bar disconnects, Fox shock suspension, and a few other items, the Rubicon's price actually starts to make sense.

One thing of note, the Rubicon LEDs on the JL are not plug and play in the Sport. For one, you'll need a programmer or an adapter so they won't ficker. For two, the wiring for the LED Halos do not exist on the Sport and Sport S. There is a thread on the JL forums that goes over this. LED Fogs and Turn signals will work as long as you program for the LED flicker. I've got a Taser JL to do just that.

Another thing that the Sport or Sport S will be missing is the Molle system on the back of the front seats,

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Another thing that the Sport or Sport S will be missing is the Molle system on the back of the front seats,
i def need those tactical seat backs!

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I was thinking of going with a Sport S and upgrading it to Rubicon specs but when you consider the e-lockers, sway bar disconnects, Fox shock suspension, and a few other items, the Rubicon's price actually starts to make sense.

One thing of note, the Rubicon LEDs on the JL are not plug and play in the Sport. For one, you'll need a programmer or an adapter so they won't ficker. For two, the wiring for the LED Halos do not exist on the Sport and Sport S. There is a thread on the JL forums that goes over this. LED Fogs and Turn signals will work as long as you program for the LED flicker. I've got a Taser JL to do just that.

Good info!

Sponsored

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
This.

Having already decided this is my daily driver, trip taker for the next decade or two... I figure if I have to borrow some to buy it, i'll spend a few extra grand and just get the stuff I want, rather than mess with aftermarket. I'm even considering their lifetime warranty if they still do that.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This.

Having already decided this is my daily driver, trip taker for the next decade or two... I figure if I have to borrow some to buy it, i'll spend a few extra grand and just get the stuff I want, rather than mess with aftermarket. I'm even considering their lifetime warranty if they still do that.
I think the lifetime warranty is gone.

I'm in the same boat. I spent a lot of money modding my JLU Sport S. I'd rather not do that again and instead get the Rubicon with everything I want. I'm probably going to get the Mopar lift added as part of my order so it's dealer installed and OEM warrantied. The only major changes beyond that will be 35" tires, skid plates, and real rock sliders (I don't like body mounted Rubi sliders). Everything beyond that will be for overlanding.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I hear that. I have Poison Spyder bolt-on frame mounted slides on my JK. Just say no to body mount, especially with such a low breakover angle

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I think the lifetime warranty is gone.

I'm in the same boat. I spent a lot of money modding my JLU Sport S. I'd rather not do that again and instead get the Rubicon with everything I want. I'm probably going to get the Mopar lift added as part of my order so it's dealer installed and OEM warrantied. The only major changes beyond that will be 35" tires, skid plates, and real rock sliders (I don't like body mounted Rubi sliders). Everything beyond that will be for overlanding.
Why do people not want to get the Mopar 2" lift and instead another aftermarket 2" lift? Is it just that they prefer the aftermarket springs/shocks over the ones mopar picked out?

I would like to just have it done, ready to go, factory warranty. boom.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear that. I have Poison Spyder bolt-on frame mounted slides on my JK. Just say no to body mount, especially with such a low breakover angle
Can you show me with a photo of what you mean? If its bolted to the body, wouldn't it be higher than the frame mounted sliders?

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The thing on the Rubicon sliders is that they bolt through the pinch seam holes, and usually three body bolts on the underside. The one Steffan is showing uses rivnuts. You have to drill into the body and install the rivnuts to use that. However that specific model is a combination of body armor and a rail (though the rock rail looks a bit high on the body to me). It's not a bad option.

Good frame mounted rails will simply provide more protection to the body around that pinch seam.

This isn't to say that the Rubicon, or other body mounted, rails are bad. They aren't. It's just that you get better protection with frame mounted rails.
Sponsored