Sponsored

Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me!

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I have been debating the perfect rack for a while in my head. IMO it would need the following features:

1) Bed Rail Mounted or External Skeleton (like on the JK, JL and that Brute post) - to allow a roll top hard water tight tonneau cover
2) I would like it to sit at a height that the roof top tent sits level with the cab to reduce drag
3) The cross bars (one that the tent sits on and go the same direction of the tailgate) are removable for days when you want to use the bed to haul large or tall items and when the tent is off the rack
4) Accessory storage on the side of the rack for fuel cans, shovel, etc
Ditto on this. Except, #2. I like the rack height to match the cab so that kayaks could extend above the cab. A few manufacturers make bed racks two different heights ... cab height, and one ideal for RTT.

But, it'd be cooler if they made a single rack with an adjustable height. Rather than manufacturing 2 different racks, or guessing which rack height would be the better seller, they could sell to a broader market. And a buyer, me, who later decides to add a RTT could adjust the rack to the lower setting for less drag and a sleek look.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Ditto on this. Except, #2. I like the rack height to match the cab so that kayaks could extend above the cab. A few manufacturers make bed racks two different heights ... cab height, and one ideal for RTT.

But, it'd be cooler if they made a single rack with an adjustable height. Rather than manufacturing 2 different racks, or guessing which rack height would be the better seller, they could sell to a broader market. And a buyer, me, who later decides to add a RTT could adjust the rack to the lower setting for less drag and a sleek look.
giphy.gif

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
yes ive wondered for a while now when someone will bring out an adjustable rack

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
yes ive wondered for a while now when someone will bring out an adjustable rack
Thule has been making them for years - their XSporter line is height adjustable, but it may not hold as much weight as one might need for an RTT.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase

Height adjustment is something I thought about but would be hard with racks that have accessory mounts on the side. Maybe they could make the cross bars that are removeable have two mounting positions hight (all the way at the top and level with the cab) and low so with the roof top tent it would be level with the cab.
View attachment 11483 View attachment 11484

Position 2.jpg
Position 1.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Height adjustment would be awesome... but I think not very practical - for this style of rack.

Consider just some of the questions:
  • How do you adjust the height?
  • Is that assisted with hydraulics or motors?
  • What holds the weight during adjustment?
  • Can there be any extra weight during adjustment?
  • If it's manual, how do you move the posts?
That said, there are height-adjustable racks on the market, just much simpler:
download (1).png

But to me, this won't work for a roof top tent, or overlanding in general...

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
this was posted somewhere else... but talking about height adjustment made me think about this product, again not a direct fit for what you are all thinking, but interesting:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Height adjustment would be awesome... but I think not very practical - for this style of rack.

Consider just some of the questions:
  • How do you adjust the height?
  • Is that assisted with hydraulics or motors?
  • What holds the weight during adjustment?
  • Can there be any extra weight during adjustment?
  • If it's manual, how do you move the posts?
That said, there are height-adjustable racks on the market, just much simpler:
download (1).png

But to me, this won't work for a roof top tent, or overlanding in general...
The rack would be a frame. And on the frame it would have multiple mounting points for the cross bars like my photoshop drawings above.

Roof Height:

RoofHeight.jpg

Tent Height:

tentheight.jpg

Just not sure there really is enough height on a mid-size as if you are able to lower it then you probably wouldnt have room for accessory mounts like Jerry Cans and such. For example check out the rack AEV did for their ZR2 concept:

03-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-aev-concept-sema-1.jpg

If you lowered it to tent height no way to fit any accessories on the side.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The rack would be a frame. And on the frame it would have multiple mounting points for the cross bars like my photoshop drawings above.

Roof Height:

RoofHeight.jpg

Tent Height:

tentheight.jpg

Just not sure there really is enough height on a mid-size as if you are able to lower it then you probably wouldnt have room for accessory mounts like Jerry Cans and such. For example check out the rack AEV did for their ZR2 concept:

03-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-aev-concept-sema-1.jpg

If you lowered it to tent height no way to fit any accessories on the side.
It would basically be 3" above the bed rails then, lol.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
It would basically be 3" above the bed rails then, lol.
Yea lol. I think they would just be better off have two rack options then. Although the Gladiator has a lot taller of a cab then the ZR2 so there is more room there but its probably not enough to make a difference.

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
I like the height that EVO has theirs set at. Its tall enough to store things on the side of the rack but not too tall over the roof line. Seems to be a good balance of both to me.

Bobs85Reny

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 Renegade, 81 Cj8 Scrammler, 84 CJ8 Scrambler, 89 YJ Laredo, 06 Wrangler LJ, 86 CJ7, 02 Liberty, 16 jeePatriot
I Like the idea of having open sides. I still want the extra height. This is why I still like this top the best. If this was made of an aluminum frame you could have it with removable panels. Then if you wanted you could configure it with a replaceable hard side storage panel. The rack on top has a wind deflector in front plus the metal sides would protect the camper top and still not give up cargo space.
Glad_FullRack3.jpg

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I Like the idea of having open sides. I still want the extra height. This is why I still like this top the best. If this was made of an aluminum frame you could have it with removable panels. Then if you wanted you could configure it with a replaceable hard side storage panel. The rack on top has a wind deflector in front plus the metal sides would protect the camper top and still not give up cargo space.
Glad_FullRack3.jpg
Only downside is then you lose the convertible top.

Bobs85Reny

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 Renegade, 81 Cj8 Scrammler, 84 CJ8 Scrambler, 89 YJ Laredo, 06 Wrangler LJ, 86 CJ7, 02 Liberty, 16 jeePatriot
Only downside is then you lose the convertible top.
True with the rack on you would lose the convertible top. A sun roof could be an option on the front cab. However you would gain side compartment storage.
Glad_FullRack4.jpg
Sponsored