Sponsored

Ordering Soon - Questions About Options

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
This forum has helped me to decide to buy a Gladiator and negotiate a good price. Thanks!

I got my local dealer to agree to a below-invoice price if I order a Gladiator and get a Tread Lightly number. I've decided I want the Sport S, but I'm a bit confused by some of the options. I would appreciate some comments and clarification in this area. As is typical, I'm trying to keep the price down, but I don't want to get the truck and regret not getting some options.

Here is what I'm pretty sure I want :

- Sport S
- Firecracker Red
- Max-Tow Package with 4.10 Axles
- Auto Trans
- All Terrain Tires
- Hard Top
- All-Weather Mats
- Cold Weather Group (Wife loves heated seats. It appears it's a zero-cost option?)
- Auxiliary Switch Group

Here's is what I'm conflicted about:

- 7 Inch Radio Group; I want a nice sound system and would like it to interact with my phone. Is this option any better than the standard radio as far as sound quality? Or, if I want decent sound, do I have to opt for the $1,295 Alpine Premium system? I've test-driven a Gladiator, but it didn't have the Alpine system, so I don't know what it sounds like.

- Side Steps & Running Boards; My wife is short and would appreciate the step to get in and out of the truck. I also like the way they look. However, I'm not sure if they're worth $695. Are there better, aftermarket options? I can install pretty much anything myself.

- Convenience Group; I really like having an onboard garage door opener. I don't care about auto-start, but it appears I can't get one without the other. (Maybe I would like auto-start if I had it?)

- Active Safety Group; Right now I'm not inclined to get this, but does it come in handy for towing? My wife's Subaru has the blind-spot detection and it's OK, but not a game-changer.

- Adaptive Cruise; Does the truck come with Cruise Control if I don't get this option? Basic cruise control is all I want.

- Trac-Lok; Is this actually limited slip differentials, or something lame? I would like limited-slip as I don't like single-track differentials. It comes with the all-terrain tires, so I would save the $195 there.

I would welcome any advice and suggestions. Yeah, help me spend my money. :)
Sponsored

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
This forum has helped me to decide to buy a Gladiator and negotiate a good price. Thanks!
...get a Tread Lightly number.

- 7 Inch Radio Group; I want a nice sound system and would like it to interact with my phone. Is this option any better than the standard radio as far as sound quality? Or, if I want decent sound, do I have to opt for the $1,295 Alpine Premium system? I've test-driven a Gladiator, but it didn't have the Alpine system, so I don't know what it sounds like.

- Side Steps & Running Boards; My wife is short and would appreciate the step to get in and out of the truck. I also like the way they look. However, I'm not sure if they're worth $695. Are there better, aftermarket options? I can install pretty much anything myself.

- Active Safety Group; Right now I'm not inclined to get this, but does it come in handy for towing? My wife's Subaru has the blind-spot detection and it's OK, but not a game-changer.

- Adaptive Cruise; Does the truck come with Cruise Control if I don't get this option? Basic cruise control is all I want.
Answering what I can. First, there's also Access Fund. Access Fund gets you the FCA control number for $30 so you save $100+ right there.

7 inch - IMO, it's not sound that's the differentiator, it's screen size. The 8.4" screen looks better in the truck and it's something you cannot add later without it being a royal pain. The console was designed for the 8.4" screen, and uses a filler to make the 7" fit.

Side steps - many many many many aftermarket choices ranging from $200 to over $1000. Find one you like at Quadratec or Amazon. Do the math, do the aesthetics, and make the call. Installing yourself isn't a big deal, just watch the bolts.

Active Safety Group - I appreciate teh blind spot detector and the parking assist. In a truck, very handy.

Adaptive cruise - it does come with standard cruise control without this option. Opinions on this vary. I hate it. I also hate the forward collision warning. I prefer to pay attention to the road than delegate that to an AI.

OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Wasn't aware of Access Fund. I'll ask the dealer if they'll accept that for a discount.

OK, sounds like I should definitely get the larger screen. Now I need to decide if I want to pony up over a grand for the Alpine sound system.

I will look into aftermarket steps and see what I find.

Good to know the truck comes with basic cruise control. That's fine for me. I'll think hard about the Active Safety.

Thanks again. I appreciate your input.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Thanks. Wasn't aware of Access Fund. I'll ask the dealer if they'll accept that for a discount.

OK, sounds like I should definitely get the larger screen. Now I need to decide if I want to pony up over a grand for the Alpine sound system.

I will look into aftermarket steps and see what I find.

Good to know the truck comes with basic cruise control. That's fine for me. I'll think hard about the Active Safety.

Thanks again. I appreciate your input.
If you get the active safety you also get led tail lights on the sport s. That is the only led upgrade from factory that you can add on a sport s. So if you were thinking led that would be a plus

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
Premium stereo is a must and worth every penny!!! Limited slip (trak lock) not available with max tow. But aftermarket limited slip units are cheap. You basically are ordering the same as mine except I didn’t want the hard top.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Answering what I can. First, there's also Access Fund. Access Fund gets you the FCA control number for $30 so you save $100+ right there.

7 inch - IMO, it's not sound that's the differentiator, it's screen size. The 8.4" screen looks better in the truck and it's something you cannot add later without it being a royal pain. The console was designed for the 8.4" screen, and uses a filler to make the 7" fit.

Side steps - many many many many aftermarket choices ranging from $200 to over $1000. Find one you like at Quadratec or Amazon. Do the math, do the aesthetics, and make the call. Installing yourself isn't a big deal, just watch the bolts.

Active Safety Group - I appreciate teh blind spot detector and the parking assist. In a truck, very handy.

Adaptive cruise - it does come with standard cruise control without this option. Opinions on this vary. I hate it. I also hate the forward collision warning. I prefer to pay attention to the road than delegate that to an AI.
Access Fund? Didn't know about them - looks like another worthy cause to me - to protect what we have and keep things so all can enjoy.
Is this something all dealers would accept? Is it something that if you join (which in itself looks like a cause worth supporting) does that FCA number mean the dealer WILL accept it and discount?

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
there's also Access Fund. Access Fund gets you the FCA control number for $30 so you save $100+ right there.
There are dozens of ways to get the FCA code. Some are free . I get it for free as an employee- check with your HR dept to see if it is offered as an employee perk.
The dealer doesn't care what rôute you take to get the code, they just need the code.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
LOL - I am my own HR for the last 2.6 years - I retired and now work in my own shop.
Even if I was still employed there, I doubt if the State of Iowa does anything like that. I was lucky to get a USCellular discount because of my state employment. The only good thing they offer is IPERS (the SLIP system didn't hurt, either)
Oh, well - the luck of the draw I guess. Many of these things you get into - even those good causes I could support anyway, you have to wait 30 days.

OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To repeat a previous question, does the Active Safety option really help when towing? It seems to me it would be helpful, but as we know, things are rarely how they seem.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase

I got my local dealer to agree to a below-invoice price if I order a Gladiator and get a Tread Lightly number. I've decided I want the Sport S, but I'm a bit confused by some of the options. I would appreciate some comments and clarification in this area. As is typical, I'm trying to keep the price down, but I don't want to get the truck and regret not getting some options.

- Sport S
- Firecracker Red
- Max-Tow Package with 4.10 Axles
- Auto Trans
- All Terrain Tires
- Hard Top
- All-Weather Mats
- Cold Weather Group (Wife loves heated seats. It appears it's a zero-cost option?)
- Auxiliary Switch Group

- Convenience Group; I really like having an onboard garage door opener. I don't care about auto-start, but it appears I can't get one without the other. (Maybe I would like auto-start if I had it?)

- Trac-Lok; Is this actually limited slip differentials, or something lame? I would like limited-slip as I don't like single-track differentials. It comes with the all-terrain tires, so I would save the $195 there.

I would welcome any advice and suggestions. Yeah, help me spend my money. :)
I have a sport S max tow, I did not get the alpine but did get the bigger screen the way I look at it I'm not in the Jeep to listen to music and the standard sound system can be heard over any road noise. The running boards have to be taken off if you are going to serious off road so after market or rock rails would better if that is your plan. I love the adaptive cruise and I'm holding out for an aftermarket limited slip dif that is clutchless.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a sport S max tow, I did not get the alpine but did get the bigger screen the way I look at it I'm not in the Jeep to listen to music and the standard sound system can be heard over any road noise. The running boards have to be taken off if you are going to serious off road so after market or rock rails would better if that is your plan. I love the adaptive cruise and I'm holding out for an aftermarket limited slip dif that is clutchless.
What sort of "limited slip" are you holding out for? A locker isn't limited slip.......... I'm used to two types - with clutches or with cones (and most of those I've rebuilt for others have been the clutch type from the 60s and 70s. Almost every car I've had has had limited slip save for my 68 Javelin, my last truck was limited slip (and it grabbed on tight corners making the tires squeal a bit and causing my wife to think I was goofing off or something...... LOL.
Agree on the sound, on the other hand, when I am on the road from 6 am to 6 pm, I like some decent sound. Otherwise on shorter trips I often don't have any music going.
I do hope the Jeep is fairly quiet on the road. My Silverado was very silent on most road surfaces. It was like a luxury vehicle.

I won't be doing "serious off road" - there's not that many places around here, and any place I'd go the Overland steps would likely be safe - and if not, I can install pretty much anything in my shop.
I wanted the large screen because of my eye sight - limited vision in my right eye, far-sighted otherwise and the large screen is absolutely needed unless I want to lean over and try to see what it's saying. Even my Garmin GPS is a struggle to read in the truck or my cars.

I've never used adaptive cruise but we messed up on the order - it was checked and I forgot to say uncheck it - so we'll see. Around here it might be a good thing with all of the people on the road that shouldn't be.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I have a sport sw/max tow and some other goodies.

The 7in radio is a must, if not the full 8.4. If you get the standard 5(or whatever it is) you loose access to apple/google car play and some other features. The alpine speakers are actually nicer IMO. To be fare im %50 def in my right ear so sound quality isnt my strong suite. BUT i will say i noticed i can hear it a lot better over road noise and with the windows down.

side steps seem useless to me unless your going for a huge lift...its not a monster truck...its easy to hop in. The oem rock rails do fill that gap on the sides nicely though.

The convenience group is worth it for cold/hot months. Its nice to hop in a hot or cool truck depending on the weather. I also think its smart to let it warm up a little in the cold. No real science in my belief, just what i was told as a young man.

No real opinion on the rest, guess its really dealers choice and what your willing to spend vs what you gain.

ill add that the oem hard trifold cover is awesome, incase you havent looked at them yet.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a sport sw/max tow and some other goodies.

The 7in radio is a must, if not the full 8.4. If you get the standard 5(or whatever it is) you loose access to apple/google car play and some other features. The alpine speakers are actually nicer IMO. To be fare im %50 def in my right ear so sound quality isnt my strong suite. BUT i will say i noticed i can hear it a lot better over road noise and with the windows down.

side steps seem useless to me unless your going for a huge lift...its not a monster truck...its easy to hop in. The oem rock rails do fill that gap on the sides nicely though.

The convenience group is worth it for cold/hot months. Its nice to hop in a hot or cool truck depending on the weather. I also think its smart to let it warm up a little in the cold. No real science in my belief, just what i was told as a young man.

No real opinion on the rest, guess its really dealers choice and what your willing to spend vs what you gain.

ill add that the oem hard trifold cover is awesome, incase you havent looked at them yet.
You hit on why I tend to like premium sound systems - I have substantial loss in my left ear, and pretty fair loss in my right.
Anyway, for those with even moderate hearing loss the premium sound systems are worth it, IMO. You can hear things better, understand words better, the sound is reproduced more cleanly, not just "cooler sound" but easier to hear or listen to when you have hearing loss.

LOL - gotta sort of agree with the steps - but when married to a woman 5'5" or so and you yourself have some knee and back issues, yeah, I tried getting on and out of them with and without and definitely wanted WITH the steps. Of course the Overland comes that way....... but I may opt for something better later.... I'd say try getting in and out of a couple - hard to decide without trying. If you are tall enough and your legs and knees young enough, unless you want the side protection from rocks and crap on the highways, you could skip the steps. For me they also protect the sides of the vehicles, there's a lot of trash on the roads - rocker panels on trucks I've had got messed up bad with chips, stuff thrown off the highways.
As far as letting them run - as a mechanic for decades, yes and no. For a couple of minutes, or so yes, longer - no. It's better these days with the strict computer control as it's not as harmful as idling with a carbureted engine - but once the oil is circulating, there's not a big reason unless you are talking sub-zero then you run into metal stresses. The best thing is get the oil circulating for a couple of minutes then drive them with a moderate load and speed until warmed up. That's from the technical standpoint -
(I tell my wife when she's out and about - get in the vehicle ready to go - don't sit there. Have it ready to leave - don't unlock it until close, then get in and GO. Safer that way..... harder to attack or carjack if you are not sitting still. )

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
To repeat a previous question, does the Active Safety option really help when towing? It seems to me it would be helpful, but as we know, things are rarely how they seem.
Doesn't seem like anyone hit on this. I have heard of some people getting false warnings from the blind spot monitors when towing. I would guess it depends on how wide/long the trailer is.
I got it because I had it on my last truck and the backup sensors saved me a few times. The Gladiator isn't the easiest to see out of backing up and the backup camera doesn't cover the whole rear area, the ends of the bumper are cut off. So another good reason for the backup sensors. Plus the cooler LED tail lights.
Sponsored