Sponsored

Dealer installed TrailCam?

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I found a 6-speed on the lot with all my must-haves, except it doesn't have the TrailCam. Dealer claims he can still install it. Is he telling me the truth?
Sponsored

madduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator JT, '77 SJ: Cherokee Chief, '06 LJ
Occupation
High Speed Al tubing manager
was at letzroll in mesa and he showed us this.
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/jeep-wrangler-jl-front-camera/

i plan on getting a tazer so going this route is a no-brainer. all the rubicons currently on the lots, in my area, seem to not have the cam. i definitely want it. seeing this may have saved me from needing to wait for an ordered jeep.

i see youre in az, no idea where, but letzroll is a great resource. i've had them do work in my LJ and will have them work on my JT. dont have one yet, trying to get eyes on a green to make my final decision. if youre going to lift your jeep, larger tires, etc, the tazer seems like a gotta have it product.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Does it have the 5.0”, 7.0”, or 8.4” uConnect?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I found a 6-speed on the lot with all my must-haves, except it doesn't have the TrailCam. Dealer claims he can still install it. Is he telling me the truth?
My dealer told me they would be able to, once the parts become available. I have the 8.4" Uconnect, so it should be possible. Just plug it in and a flash to activate. I'm waiting to see if it actually happens.

OP
OP
jimbom

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)

i see youre in az, no idea where ...
That's encouraging, thanks! Now I'm starting to believe I could install it myself and perhaps I don't even want to pay $600 for the option.

I'm down in Tucson and also won't purchase until I've seen the gator. If gator becomes a must-have, I'll go ahead and just order it. FYI, Earnhardt texted me that they have a gator on the lot now. I just haven't had the time to get up there to have a look.

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I ordered the TrailCam and would order again, but I would go the Tazer route instead of what the dealer would charge for parts and labor. I had the Tazer front camera system on my JL, I like the OEM better, to me not worth the extra expense the OEM would cost if not already installed.

madduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
this is prob my last big build that i'll actually use for wheeling. i want to do this once and do it nice.

i was debating on getting an overland for less money then spending the money on upgrades. the owner at letzroll had a great point, he bought a rubicon. as he said, he can do anything he wants and he spent the money on one. he got the cheapest rubi then is adding on from there. i doubt i'll abuse it as much as he will, so if it is good enough for him to start with it's prob good enough for me.

a trail cam is something i definitely wanted. up until i saw the tazer cam yesterday i didnt know we could add one ourselves. the way third parties come out with goodies these days i figured it was going to happen. however, the way systems are more integrated on the electronic/computer side, i didnt know if jeep would be a closed loop when it came to adding something like the cam.

in either color, green or grey, the factory cam would have been an order. tempe says they have one on the lot also now, i will, hopefully, swing by there today and check it out. earnhardt jeep isn't close to me. plus, i had a very bad experience with them a few years ago. agreed on a price for a 2014 fx4, loooong story short: we agreed to a price over the phone, i said i'd take it, show up with my $10k down payment, money guy says the price is wrong it'll be $5k more. i walked out. only way i'm walking onto an earnhardt dealership is to drop a deuce at their money guys office door, Marcello. if he's even there any longer. ;-)

OP
OP
jimbom

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this is prob my last big build that i'll actually use for wheeling. i want to do this once and do it nice.

in either color, green or grey, the factory cam would have been an order. tempe says they have one on the lot also now, i will, hopefully, swing by there today and check it out. earnhardt jeep isn't close to me. plus, i had a very bad experience with them a few years ago. agreed on a price for a 2014 fx4, loooong story short: we agreed to a price over the phone, i said i'd take it, show up with my $10k down payment, money guy says the price is wrong it'll be $5k more. i walked out. only way i'm walking onto an earnhardt dealership is to drop a deuce at their money guys office door, Marcello. if he's even there any longer. ;-)
I really had no intention of buying from Earnhardt, it's just the closest dealer to Tucson where I can merely see the gator color in person. That said, I've known others in Tucson who got pretty good deals from Earnhardt on Ford and Ram trucks.

The 6-speed (missing the trailcam) that I am considering is elsewhere, is silver and is much further away. If I don't particularly like gator, I may buy the silver one and install the cam myself (now that you have enlightened me.)

I wasn't clear -- if I do like the color, I don't want to wait around for a 6-speed Rubicon (both must-haves) in gator to show up somewhere feasible, so I'll go ahead and order it (from one of the two Tucson dealers.) BTW, neither dealer here even has a gator on order. I missed seeing the one gobi that came (customer ordered); it was delivered the same morning it arrived. I have seen a Wrangler in gobi, and am still on the fence about that color.

madduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
saw the gator color. i like it but dont love it. i could go with either gator or grey and be happy. i'll prob go grey since there are some in the valley. i really dont need the jeep now so i could order a gator rubi and be just fine it's just that the gator didnt jump out at me. i think the gator with a black top and fenders is nice looking, that's what i saw today. the fact that i was underwhelmed is what has me 98% with grey.

the first time i saw the grey on a challenger i liked it.

Dan1227

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport

i plan on getting a tazer so going this route is a no-brainer. all the rubicons currently on the lots, in my area, seem to not have the cam. i definitely want it. seeing this may have saved me from needing to wait for an ordered jeep.

i see youre in az, no idea where, but letzroll is a great resource. i've had them do work in my LJ and will have them work on my JT. dont have one yet, trying to get eyes on a green to make my final decision. if youre going to lift your jeep, larger tires, etc, the tazer seems like a gotta have it product.
What is the tazer and how do I get in order to get the cam so I can install

Sponsored

bloran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline. Gator Gladiator Rubicon
I'm in the process of adding the Tazer front camera to my JT. Currently the camera clip does not fit the JT but a new camera mounting clip that will fit the JT should be ready in a month or so....

DHP

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland JT
I'm in the process of adding the Tazer front camera to my JT. Currently the camera clip does not fit the JT but a new camera mounting clip that will fit the JT should be ready in a month or so....
Did ZAutomotive reply with this? I asked a couple of months ago and they said they didn’t have any plans. I was looking at a JL center grill piece to make it fit

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Did ZAutomotive reply with this? I asked a couple of months ago and they said they didn’t have any plans. I was looking at a JL center grill piece to make it fit
Crap I ordered one of these the other day. Didn't know it wouldn't work....

DHP

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland JT
Crap I ordered one of these the other day. Didn't know it wouldn't work....
The camera itself will work. The pins are a bit different per their email to me. It’s the camera clip that won’t work since the openings in the JT grill are larger for more airflow. The center grill piece from a JL isn’t expensive so I was going to try that. I just ordered my Tazer so I haven’t actually done this

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
The camera itself will work. The pins are a bit different per their email to me. It’s the camera clip that won’t work since the openings in the JT grill are larger for more airflow. The center grill piece from a JL isn’t expensive so I was going to try that. I just ordered my Tazer so I haven’t actually done this
Won't using the JL piece effect cooling for payload and towing? The main reason they added those was for airflow to increase the tow rating
Sponsored