How do you negotiate?

FishChowder

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Cmax
What tricks do you have on negotiating price, accessories, etc. How do you get a better deal than anyone else?

This doesn't necessarily apply to just JT buying but any vehicle purchase.

I am hoping to learn a few things for the next purchase and up my game.
Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I got quotes from multiple dealers and got the dealership that I initially test drove with to match the best price. They even located the sting gray one with all the options that I wanted.

I first wanted to make sure I liked the drive of the Gladiator, so I went to my most convenient dealership. After I drove it, I told my sales person I was interested but needed to think about it. It was louder than I expected on the hwy even with the hard top. I slept on it and woke up the next morning wanting it.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Basic sales training says that those who complain the most, are usually the most interested. Avoid nitpicking silly things and focus more on the decision you are still trying to make between brands (Jeep vs. Ford vs. Toyota, etc.). Then practice Coveyā€™s 7 habits, particularly habit 5: Seek first to understand, then to be understood. In other words, let the sales dude talk himself out first, then focus him on what matters to you. Do not go in to a dealer in a defensive position. If you do, there is a good chance you will stay there. When it is your turn to speak, be clear and focus on no more than three things and make sure there is a balance of things you like and then a couple big things that are potential show stoppers. Avoid price early on, focus more on the lack of power, questionable reliability, etc. as compared to your other brand choices. Finally, as mentioned above, play dealers against each other. Never make an emotional decision, you love people, not things.

JeepChak12

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mazda Miata GT
Walking out also helps you find the bottom line price. If you say your're willing to pay $41K OTD and no more, they counter with $42.5K, and you say thats okay and you walk out, get in your car, and drive home with no phone call by the next day, thats the price lol. The price might be different in a few days or weeks or on the last day of hte month or quarter, but that day, they're not willing to go any lower if they let you leave without a sale. You can always go back that day or the next and buy it. I typically find that the price drops between $500 and $1K if they haven't gone as low as they can go when you walk out. Make sure you throw out a price your willing to pay, sometimes they agree. I usually pick my jump/no-brainer price to throw out, and let them counter and see where you get to if that's the car you want.

The J-Man

First Name
Jman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 BMW X5
If a local dealer, I usually try to waste as much of their time as possible. Lengthy test drives, lots of questions, etc. After a test drive, I tell them that the car is "just ok, maybe it could work." Then we go inside and they usually offer to run some numbers. I hem and haw on the numbers (which are invariably terrible) for some time, and then tell them I'll think about it or that I'm going to check some other dealers. They'll usually come back with a much lower number at this point. I'll then give them the impression that I'm VERY close to saying yes, but I'll still get up and say "no, I need to check other dealers." They will usually give you their best price at this point, to which you can often knock another $500 off by saying "Alright, take another $500 off and I think that's fair." Also, at this point, if they don't have the exact car you want in stock, you can say "well, that's not my perfect car, but if you'll do the same discount on an ordered car, you have a deal." Even though they want to move inventory on their lot, they'll usually say yes to this since they've invested so much time. It's best if you can burn up the better part of a salesman's Saturday with all of the above. It is unfortunate that this is how the car dealership world works. I've tried the approach of "I don't need a test drive, I have no questions, let's do the deal right now at your best price possible and I'll be out of here in 30 minutes." They just aren't receptive to this - you have to play their game.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Rule #1, do not negotiate monthly payment.
Rule #2, DO NOT NEGOTIATE A MONTHLY PAYMENT.

Dealerships will go micro to try to talk you into things hoping you miss the big picture. Negotiate the vehicle, not package prices (the it's only $15 a month tactic). Keep the purchase and the trade separate until you have to (you can leverage one when the other won't budge). Focus on final price and then worry about down payment to get the rate and payment you want.

All in all, be assertive and own the discussion. Don't ask, tell what they need to do to earn your business. If you demand $500 and they give $400, remind them it was $500. If they stick to their guns then you want free floor mats or other cool shit like credit in the parts department. No matter what, you get something out of your final ask.

Most importantly of all, be ready to walk out. If they are trying to start from an advantageous position (e.g. first offer is high, lowballing trades) then walk out. Make it clear that you aren't playing games and that they are earning your business. If you get a call, restate your final demands and tell them you'll be back tomorrow. Walk in, make sure it's all right, and sign your paperwork. If it's not right, there's no talk, just walk right back out the door.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Not all dealers are equal. Some will deal, others are very proud of their Jeeps. FIrst, I check inventory, usually on jeep.com, and if a dealer has a unit that fits my needs, is close enough that I would consider buying it, then I will visit and try to work a deal, based on discount on the new one, and trade-in value, if that is to be part of the deal. Most dealers will try to negotiate you up on the price you will pay, while your job is to stay focused on the bottom line you consider reasonable.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Yeah, you are so much better off when you shop price on a stock number. Thatā€™s the part I left off when I mentioned how I bought mine.

When a dealership is trying to sell me on payment, I stop them and focus on the price of the stock number Iā€™m negotiating on. Only one time have I had a dealer refuse to do that and I walked. Iā€™ve worked in sales for years and he kept giving me these outdated sales scripts and wouldnā€™t stop after fair warning. The third time he did it, after asking him to stop twice. I walked and bought from another dealer.

I usually have a trade in and mention it after I have agreed on a price. I know what itā€™s worth and acceptable, but I throw out a number a few grand higher than I really want and negotiate from there. A few times Iā€™ve actually had them accept my offer. Most of the time we negotiate down to my number. I just say abc dealer is doing this price and xyz dealership is doing this. If you can match that, you have a deal. That number is always $2k-$3k higher than what I want. Iā€™ve never had a trade in that wasnā€™t in great condition, clean carfax, good tires, etc so they stand by their sight unseen number. FWIW. I ran the internet department of several dealerships for years, so I learned all the tricks that customers played on me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FishChowder

FishChowder

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Cmax
This is all great info. Hopefully it will help some of us out.

How do you all get around not discussing your trade at first. Early on they normally ask if you have a trade.
Exactly. Every dealer I have ever gone into asks that before I get the keys for a test drive.

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I let them start out with whatever they want to offer for my trade. Let them think that is all settled, and move to discussing price of the new vehicle.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I let them start out with whatever they want to offer for my trade. Let them think that is all settled, and move to discussing price of the new vehicle.
I like to work it as two separate transactions. Agree on the selling price of the Jeep stock number I want to buy after cross shopping other similar models at other dealerships. Then I ā€œdecideā€ I do have a trade in and have had it appraised at other dealerships. Itā€™s more effective IMO.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
How do you all get around not discussing your trade at first. Early on they normally ask if you have a trade.
Simple. I just say Iā€™m not sure if Iā€˜m trading anything in. I say I have two possible vehicles Iā€™m thinking about trading in. Itā€™s never been an issue.

doshounds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jk.
Simply start low....the rest is all games. The basics of negotiation, seller starts high, buyer starts low. Know your target price before you get there. If they donā€™t hit it, leave. You donā€™t need to spend all day at a dealership wasting the salespersons time to get the best deal. That is the dumbest tactic Iā€™ve ever heard, why you ask? Because you wasted your own time trying to waste the salespersons time. My time is valuable. Go in with a plan and stick with it.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Simply start low....the rest is all games. The basics of negotiation, seller starts high, buyer starts low. Know your target price before you get there. If they donā€™t hit it, leave. You donā€™t need to spend all day at a dealership wasting the salespersons time to get the best deal. That is the dumbest tactic Iā€™ve ever heard, why you ask? Because you wasted your own time trying to waste the salespersons time. My time is valuable. Go in with a plan and stick with it.
I totally agree. Especially, with the latter part. Iā€™ll spend like 20-30 minutes emailing a few dealership to get quotes. Then the rest is just texting. When everything is agree upon I tell the sales person to have my paperwork ready before I get there on our agreed upon appointment time. I send my drivers license, insurance, and registration so they can do it. When I get there itā€™s a quick process.
Sponsored