Sponsored

Doors off, premium soft top, rain protection?

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Good call. As I've said, it was the best aftermarket purchase I ever made for my JKU. Just know that's it's not perfectly waterproof, but with some adjustments, it's SSOOO convenient. Let us know how it all turns out though. GL
Sponsored

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
1. Best: Real half doors from Jeep if they actually bring them back. What a disappointment not to have them.
2. Second best Bestop Core Doors probably once they come out.

I don’t like how the door handles don’t line up front/back with other options and that the doors are not thick and solid like stock.

But thanks Bestop for doing your best to offer alternatives.

I can’t get myself to replace my JK which has stock half doors with a Gladiator until/if half doors come out. It’s such a crucial part of my Jeep. I just can’t no matter how much I crave a Gladiator.

This is what factory half doors may look like based on JK half doors...

Jeep Gladiator Doors off, premium soft top, rain protection? BAED2A6A-E6AF-48D5-B6F7-B4FE4C6C004D
Jeep Gladiator Doors off, premium soft top, rain protection? A99D3FF3-4D56-43C5-81E3-628C111578D2

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Im struggling what to do for a top in the summer as well. If you have seen my build you can see because of my rack a soft top is not possible. I want to run in the summer with doors off & hard top off.
I want rain coverage that is temporary in case im away from home and it starts downpouring.
So here is my plan for now
Doors: Rampage tub doors with custom made waterproof skins that will slide over them.
For the the uppers i may do bestop soft upper doors. Yeah i know this wont work but I will customize to make them fit the tube door.
Back doors:removable skin on tube doors and will have no soft uppers.
For the back seating area: I plan to do seat delete and have a custom duster/ tonneau made to cover the back area similar to this.
https://www.bestop.com/products/duster-deck-cover---wrangler-jl-4-door/
But to cover the back area up to the front seats.
Then i will have a custom jammer made similar to this that zips into the duster/tonneau.
https://www.bestop.com/products/windjammer---18---current-wrangler-jl-2-door/
Then i will run the JL sun bonnet for max coverage.
https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2020/wrangler-jl/extended-safari-bikini/door/4/
I know it seem a bit difficult but i want easy packable components that will not take up a bunch of space when not in use.
I added pictures of some JL's you just have to envision my concept on the JT. Use you imagination

Jeep Gladiator Doors off, premium soft top, rain protection? Screenshot_20200506-225531_Gallery

Jeep Gladiator Doors off, premium soft top, rain protection? Screenshot_20200506-225556_Gallery

zuke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 JKU, 2006 TJ, 2021 Bronco BL
Here are a couple pictures of Paint matched Element door I had on one of my JKUs;

Jeep Gladiator Doors off, premium soft top, rain protection? DSCN0356.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Doors off, premium soft top, rain protection? 100_0983.JPG

This was in 2011, When they first came out.

I liked them, but like the full soft doors, They were pretty much impossible to get completely sealed. They kept you and the jeep dry while sitting still, and up to about 60mph, But they didn't do much to keep the heat in during winter, so I only ran them in the summer. I later traded them and the hard doors for a set of Mopar half doors with custom sliders;

Jeep Gladiator Doors off, premium soft top, rain protection? 20171229_184252

Those were by far the best year round half door solution, I ran them for 5 years year round, and never had a leak problem, They were still on the jeep when I traded it in on the Gladiator last month...

In fact, the old Jeep is still sitting at Safford of Springfield for sale;

https://www.saffordofspringfield.co...r-wheel-drive-sport-utility-1j4ga39178l527109 and the listing has lots of pictures...

zuke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had pretty much all the solutions discussed here at some point except the Core Doors, and here's where I rank them top to bottom, Note that my preference is to have an enclosed half door when running topless, so if you prefer no door, that might change your order!

1. Mopar Half Doors with Mopar Uppers (Had on a JKU)
Pop the uppers out, throw them in the back, Put'm back in if it rains, Actually practical as year round doors.

2. Bestop Element with Bestop Uppers (Had on A JKU)
Pop the uppers out, throw them in the back, Put'm back in if it rains, Tops bow out over 60mph letting it rain on you, Not a good solution as year round doors.

3. Bestop full soft doors (Have on my current JKU)
Really too much trouble to take the uppers off, cause you gotta futz with them for half a day to get them back together right and sealed, so I always end up taking them off completely and leaving them at home, so here in Virginia, carrying a trail cover is a necessity. Honestly, my Gladiator is to tall for this trailcover nonsense, so that's gonna be a non-starter for me. Absolutely not a year round door...

I'm really looking forward to the Core Doors, I'm hoping to try them out as soon as they become available, but the price might put me off too much.

I have a feeling Mopar will have half doors eventually, but probably not until about 4 or 5 years into JL/JT production, and then if it's like it was on the JKU, you'll have to buy the peices and assemble them yourself for the first year, or wait for someone like Quadratec to sell them assembled in a kit, and they'll be cost prohibitive.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I would love Jeep to offer real half doors for JT. I have pretty much tried all the other type of solutions on my Jeeps over the years and none compare to real half doors. Fitment, rattles, leaks, yada yada...they all have one or all of those issues.

ciarraikerry

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Occupation
Biologist
I would love Jeep to offer real half doors for JT. I have pretty much tried all the other type of solutions on my Jeeps over the years and none compare to real half doors. Fitment, rattles, leaks, yada yada...they all have one or all of those issues.
Same. I built my mopar half doors on my JK as soon as it was delivered. Ran them 6-8 months out of the year with no problems. Just used my full doors for the snowy/road salt months. I pulled the trigger on my JT order after I was hit by a drunk driver earlier this year. Otherwise, I would still be holding out hoping for them to release them for an 80th anniversary model. Now if they do, I’ll build and paint them again. Totally worth it in my opinion.

7D08E7C0-068A-4D40-A82C-EAC91CA0DCB5.jpeg

AA75E011-1C69-4685-8A18-B4870C3DB873.jpeg

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Glad to hear the tube door enclosures are now on track to be released soon. Last I checked they didn't have any kind of timeframe. Also excited to hear core doors are confirmed. Not sure which route I will go, but given this summer doesn't look like I will have much driving I am thinking I might just wait a year for core doors hopefully.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Same. I built my mopar half doors on my JK as soon as it was delivered. Ran them 6-8 months out of the year with no problems. Just used my full doors for the snowy/road salt months. I pulled the trigger on my JT order after I was hit by a drunk driver earlier this year. Otherwise, I would still be holding out hoping for them to release them for an 80th anniversary model. Now if they do, I’ll build and paint them again. Totally worth it in my opinion.

Jeep Gladiator Doors off, premium soft top, rain protection? AA75E011-1C69-4685-8A18-B4870C3DB873

Jeep Gladiator Doors off, premium soft top, rain protection? AA75E011-1C69-4685-8A18-B4870C3DB873
Already told wife....when the time comes be ready to spend a few thousand :)

Reeb65

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I have the Mopar cover and have used it with just the top and the doors off to protect from rain here in Florida. It will stretch enough to cover 97%. There is a small gap between the cover and front door jam maybe 1/2" but has kept everything fairly dry. It fits behind the rear seats when not in use.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Swayze

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Here are a couple pictures of Paint matched Element door I had on one of my JKUs;

This was in 2011, When they first came out.

I liked them, but like the full soft doors, They were pretty much impossible to get completely sealed. They kept you and the jeep dry while sitting still, and up to about 60mph, But they didn't do much to keep the heat in during winter, so I only ran them in the summer. I later traded them and the hard doors for a set of Mopar half doors with custom sliders;

Those were by far the best year round half door solution, I ran them for 5 years year round, and never had a leak problem, They were still on the jeep when I traded it in on the Gladiator last month...

In fact, the old Jeep is still sitting at Safford of Springfield for sale;

https://www.saffordofspringfield.co...r-wheel-drive-sport-utility-1j4ga39178l527109 and the listing has lots of pictures...
Yeah if Jeep would release real half doors that would be amazing. Your element painted doors look really good, but it gets pretty expensive to make it work. I drive on 95 every day so half doors make me feel a bit better than no doors. My nightmare is buying full element kit, then getting core doors and then mopar announcing official ones haha. But I guess that’s what member markets are for.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I have the Mopar cover and have used it with just the top and the doors off to protect from rain here in Florida. It will stretch enough to cover 97%. There is a small gap between the cover and front door jam maybe 1/2" but has kept everything fairly dry. It fits behind the rear seats when not in use.
I have it as well, it stretches to fully cover mine when topless with no gaps. I do have one issue though in heavy rain. It will actually pool up water over the front seats and it will be a decent amount if it was a heavy rain. I think need to bail it out before climbing inside and pushing it. I made the mistake my first time of not noticing this and flooded the passengers side.

zuke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have it as well, it stretches to fully cover mine when topless with no gaps. I do have one issue though in heavy rain. It will actually pool up water over the front seats and it will be a decent amount if it was a heavy rain. I think need to bail it out before climbing inside and pushing it. I made the mistake my first time of not noticing this and flooded the passengers side.
A piece of PVC pipe in the rear cupholder to just above the sound bar will solve this, but you have to put somethinng like a soft rubber cap on the PVC to avoid tearing the cover...

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
A piece of PVC pipe in the rear cupholder to just above the sound bar will solve this, but you have to put somethinng like a soft rubber cap on the PVC to avoid tearing the cover...
I found out I had to do something the hard way, right now I have a board across the top that is working. I feel like though being an emergency cover this is something that FCA should have thought of. I mean for $150 i would have expected something at least a little better. I don't want to have to keep a pipe in the car, but I do like the idea, better than the board I am using.

zuke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found out I had to do something the hard way, right now I have a board across the top that is working. I feel like though being an emergency cover this is something that FCA should have thought of. I mean for $150 i would have expected something at least a little better. I don't want to have to keep a pipe in the car, but I do like the idea, better than the board I am using.
I've used boards and stuff like that too, The best option I found was the Trek top has an aluminum bar with an upward curve that works nicely and fits a slot in the door surrounds on my JKU, But I've used a piece of PVC as my go to on many jeeps :)
Sponsored