Sponsored

This makes me uncomfortable

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
It is just the cost of war. Happens after every major military conflict that once over, there is just a excess of material and equipment that is deemed "surplus" and the return cost and final disposition to other entities to include civilian reuse is not cost advantageous.

It is only through the lens of many decades later when such items are now rare and hard to find, that it seemed a incorrect decision.
Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The equipment was no longer needed after Japan surrendered. The U.S. had been in war production overload for years, so there was a huge amount of all kinds of war material in the pipeline. War planners had been preparing for an invasion of the Japanese home islands, but the atomic bombs made that unnecessary. There was already a huge amount of equipment on Okinawa and Philippines, plus all the troops that suddenly needed to be shipped back home. The wartime military was nearly 16 million strong, and anticipated peacetime military would be a small fraction of that. (This was before anyone imagined the Korean War would erupt just five years later). Much smaller military = much less equipment needed. So rather than bring it back, they dumped it to make room for other stuff (and personnel) that had to go back.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Probably the recent topless weekend.

This is mine a couple months ago.

87848696_10216867619305833_9087367490790490112_n.jpg
What beach? I have been compiling a list of U.S. beaches you can drive on.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
No longer needed. Jeeps cost basically nothing then, and were intended to be disposable. The cost of transport and caring for them exceeded their value. That can happen in business too, and is common with some tech items. They are boat anchors as soon as they complete a mission.

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Even with all the new corrosion resistance built into modern Jeeps, I'm still not crazy enough to drive mine thru salt water. You just can't wash all of the salt out of the nooks and crannies.

I do like to hit the beach on Asseteague Island when I'm back on the east coast though.

Jeep Gladiator This makes me uncomfortable DSC00296.JPG

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I do like to hit the beach on Asseteague Island when I'm back on the east coast though.

Jeep Gladiator This makes me uncomfortable DSC00296.JPG
Yes! I am hoping to do that one soon.

Been on Ocracoke beaches several times, and also looking forward to Cape Lookout. You have to get your Jeep ferried over on a small private ferry.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Unfortunately Asseteague only allows you to drive on about 4 miles of beach and not the rest of I think was 14 miles to Chincoteague, VA nor any of the interior off road trail that runs parallel to the bay. Now the permit is $90 for a year, I don't think they sell day passes, at least they didn't last year, no senior discounts, just 90 for 4 miles and they limit the number of vehicles so some days, especially weekends you could wait hours to get on. Only to have the good old days back again when I think the cost was $20 a year for a lot more miles.

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Unfortunately Asseteague only allows you to drive on about 4 miles of beach and not the rest of I think was 14 miles to Chincoteague, VA nor any of the interior off road trail that runs parallel to the bay. Now the permit is $90 for a year, I don't think they sell day passes, at least they didn't last year, no senior discounts, just 90 for 4 miles and they limit the number of vehicles so some days, especially weekends you could wait hours to get on. Only to have the good old days back again when I think the cost was $20 a year for a lot more miles.
Ouch. But there are both VA and MD stretches, both for the $90, right? And it is an annual pass, although does not help much if you don't live near enough.

Core banks NC a better bet. $0 for offroad permit, but ferry can cast as much as $85. Driving is allowed on the open oceanside beach, seaward of the dunes and down to the tide line as well as on the trail behind the dunes called the "back road." Two islands, so two separate expeditions, but each is about 20 miles long.

I have yet to do it, just researching.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Ouch. But there are both VA and MD stretches, both for the $90, right? And it is an annual pass, although does not help much if you don't live near enough.

Core banks NC a better bet. $0 for offroad permit, but ferry can cast as much as $85. Driving is allowed on the open oceanside beach, seaward of the dunes and down to the tide line as well as on the trail behind the dunes called the "back road." Two islands, so two separate expeditions, but each is about 20 miles long.

I have yet to do it, just researching.
No the $90 covers on the 4 miles they have open in Maryland last summer, you can't even make it to the VA line anymore. Apparently there is some kind of endangered bird that lives there and that is why they have closed the majority of the beach to vehicles.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I at least hope insurance covered it.
Not just 100%, we got more than the original cost of the Jeep because I negotiated so much of a discount. The book value was still more than we paid.
Sponsored