First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I still get bug splatters, but on the highway it seems to be limited to the top 20% of the windshield. Of course being tall, that is exactly in my line of vision. Also, nothing will prevent the bouncing rock from damaging your hood or cracking the windshield.

That said, while I have a couple chips in my front grill, I have zero chips in the hood and windshield. Two weeks ago, with nothing else to do but shelter at home (actually, shelter in my JTR), I removed the deflector. Mine has seven threaded bosses that adhere to the leading edge of the hood using emblem tape and the deflector is then attached to the bosses using button head screws. I then went for a two hour drive ranging from rutted dirt roads to interstate highways.

The verdict? On the highway, the deflector definitely makes a difference on both bugs and tiny pebbles/sand/ road crap. I'm going to try this again once the local bug population comes into full crescendo.
Sponsored

SC_Paco

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Care to expound on the firm no? I'm also on the fence and leaning. Thanks
Sorry but to me there is no amount of minimized damage that can offset the aesthetics and flashbacks to the 90"s :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Thats just me...

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
I originally was a 'NO', but then I had my grille wrapped in Matte Black. The Bushwacker TrailArmor Hood Guard blends in well, looks good and does provide some additional protection.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/samson.25179/page-2
See post #24

If my grille was not black, I can't say that I would like the look as much and probably would not have put one on. It is all a matter of personal preference.

Sponsored

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
Makes me recall my dad’s lecture of “You don’t have to like the answer, son. But you’re part of the problem if you choose to ignore facts.”
You dad is a wise man! I may use that statement from here on! :)

rdcox23

First Name
R.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What brand uses threaded bosses? I just ordered the WeatherTech and I am honestly hesitant to install it as it only uses 3M tape.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
This one. There are seven threaded bosses that adhere to the hood with emblem tape. The deflector then bolts to them. It even comes with a template to position the bosses, but use with great care to ensure proper alignment

Newsmarts Car Front Hood Stone Guard Protector Trail Armor For Jeep Wrangler JL/Gladiator 2018-2020 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08217QF1F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tau_Zpu1EbK0R5ZBK

28CBA9F9-9101-4623-869C-0522E0E5B79E.jpeg

24BDD3A5-1DF6-40A2-B2F1-91C7A056C883.jpeg

rdcox23

First Name
R.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am actually going to look at the Mopar one. I want to avoid anything that contacts the paint.

Sponsored

bleubob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Ney. I have a Weathertech bug deflector and it really does nothing to keep them off my windshield. It’s more contoured and not very high so maybe it’s just their design that’s inadequate

Breaktrack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
So it happened. I got my first rock chip on the leading edge of the hood on my Jeep. Just wondering what the thoughts are on hood deflectors, yay or nay. Do they help on bugs on the windshields? I have deflectors on trucks back in the day when they were the cool thing to do (showing my age) but never on a Jeep. just wondering if they make a difference on bugs and such...
Okay, I drove my Gladiator from Houston, Texas, all the way to Deadhorse, Alaska, and back, and a LOT of places in between.

I did not have the bug/rock deflector before I got to Fairbanks, Alaska, and I picked up my first rock chip in the windshield just a couple of miles before passing out of Canada into Alaska. In addition, being early August, the bugs were horrendous and a constant problem. When I got to Fairbanks I was in need of my second oil change and tire rotation so I headed to the dealership there. While there I had the bright idea that maybe a bug deflector might be good idea and they only had one, for a JL, and it was mounted on an accessories display board.

They kindly took it down, checked to see if it would fit the JT, and installed it right there no problem. The next day I made the drive up the haul road to Deadhorse / Prudhoe Bay, stayed the night, and drove back the next day. MAJOR, MAJOR difference in the amount of bugs hitting my windshield then, and for the rest of my trip. I have not had another rock chip whether the deflector had anything to do with that or not. The trip was 23,000 miles and change, and 5.5 months long. I feel like it was a very good item and well worth the money. Also the only mod I’d made on it till I got back, lol.

Mac

Breaktrack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I vote “no”. When I was younger, I had an older body repairman tell me to slow down and stop tail-gating. If course, being young and headstrong, it was my right to do both! :LOL:

At 51, I’ve realized that old coot was correct. I do 55-60 and stay back 4-5 car lengths. Zero chips in paint. Zero sand-blasting of windshield.

Makes me recall my dad’s lecture of “You don’t have to like the answer, son. But you’re part of the problem if you choose to ignore facts.”

I hated that one.
Mine came from a vehicle going the other way, a motor home towing a POS Subaru on a rough section of the ALCAN just before hitting the border leaving Canada and entering Alaska, low speed, no one traveling my way in front of me.

Mac

Ray F.

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi
Mine came from a vehicle going the other way, a motor home towing a POS Subaru on a rough section of the ALCAN just before hitting the border leaving Canada and entering Alaska, low speed, no one traveling my way in front of me.

Mac
Sorry to hear that.

The statement of mine that you quoted was a response to the OP and in reference to his concerns with “....bugs and such....” and based on my experience. I don’t discount the inadvertent freak occurrences, such as the one you mentioned.

The occasional chip happens. But when you see a vehicle with a significant number of chips and/or microscopic divots in the windshield, I assure you the driver tailgates and/or drives fast. If a vehicle has a nearly vertical grill and windshield, you can expect it to happen even more.

HTH.
Sponsored