What I wish my Gladiator had.

danieljustyn

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Thanks to Covid, I recently purchased a Jeep Gladiator for nearly 10k off MSRP. To begin with, I LOVE the truck. What an upgrade from the two door JK I had previously.

Though, having owned a variety of Jeeps, I'm shocked the Gladiator did not get some "creature comfort" features that other Jeeps carry today. I'd figure I'd start this thread as things you would like to see in the future Gladiators. Some, I'm shocked they haven't brought over from some of the current Jeep models. Others may be new to the Jeep family completely. I'm going to start with a few, add on as you please!

1. I have seen this a few times... the key! It is almost 3x the size of my wife's (Grand Cherokee). Honestly it's just a hassle. With a key this large, either keyless entry should be standard or downsize the key. It's a hassle sometimes grabbing it out of my pocket. My solution was to purchase a carabiner and wear it on my side.

2. Auto-brights. This is nit-picking honestly. Just a feature I've grown used too with my wife's vehicle.

3. Rain sensing/sensitive wipers. Again, another nit-picking feature. Honestly don't see why this wasn't brought over from other Jeeps. It's a convenient feature to have.

4. Power sliding window. I think we can all agree on that.

5. I know it's a truck but the bed is a scratch magnet. I'm pretty sure if you look at it hard enough it'll scratch. Because of this, for the price, I think the Jeep should come with the spray in bed liner. I already have my LineX appointment scheduled, though I think this would be a great included feature.

I know most of these are unneeded features and there are work arounds available, just figured I'd name a few I've noticed in the past three weeks with owning the Gladiator. What would you like to see in future Gladiator models?
Sponsored

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The main thing they should have offered from the factory was a 5.7 Hemi option for the Max Tow and Rubicon models...At minimum. Then offered a 6.4 Hemi option for a special model Rubicon.

The next thing they should have offered was a roll-down back window like a Ford Bronco, where the whole rear glass rolls down into the back wall of the cab, when you remove the top. Or, you can open up all 4 windows, pull the freedom panels off, and then drop the whole rear glass down, and have a really nice protected open-air cruise.

Also, the Rubicons should have been offered from the factory with 315/70r17 (or 35x12.50r17) Mud-Terrains as an option.

OP
OP
danieljustyn

danieljustyn

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is why I created this thread! I didn't even think about the back window dropping down like that. I'm sure with that feature, it would have been had to be a fixed top. Which, wouldn't be that bad since they could have added the power sunroof from the JL!

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I agree with all of Bama’s ideas. Also:

1. The Aux switches should be standard
2. In addition to heated seats, cooling seats should be offered
3. The tonneau cover should lock

The damn key fob has another annoying habit of popping open and stabbing my leg.

OP
OP
danieljustyn

danieljustyn

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The damn key fob has another annoying habit of popping open and stabbing my leg.
I love my wife's cooling seats! I understands Jeeps excuse of them easily getting damaged with rain/water when the top is off, but those are such a great feature.

I've heard the complaints about the tonneau cover not locking. Without force, I haven't found a way to open mine without unlocking the tailgate. Though even if it did lock, if someone truly wanted to access the bed, they would just cut fabric.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is why I created this thread! I didn't even think about the back window dropping down like that. I'm sure with that feature, it would have been had to be a fixed top. Which, wouldn't be that bad since they could have added the power sunroof from the JL!
The Ford Bronco isn't a fixed top...It's removable. The whole rear glass rolls down into the tailgate.

Here's a picture I found on Google for an example...

Jeep Gladiator What I wish my Gladiator had. 04886f600c7bd2c5671862743f931a6f

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Free mod... Take a large thick small-diameter rubber band, and wrap it around your key fob after removing the key ring. Then put the key ring back on. Free, quick, and easy. :like:

Granted, the issue should be addressed by FCA, but until then, this free mod works great.

OP
OP
danieljustyn

danieljustyn

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is another small complaint, but how about a “capless” gas tank like what’s on my Grand Cherokee and RAM truck.
I didn't even think to add that. I'm so used to my JK it didn't phase me. That would be convenient and easy to add. Saves a few seconds each time.

The Ford Bronco isn't a fixed top...It's removable. The whole rear glass rolls down into the tailgate.
I'm sure with todays technology and engineering they could have figured out a way to make this work. Especially with some Toyota vehicles offering a similar option. Would be cool to see! At least adding power slide to the current rear window.

Free mod... Take a large thick small-diameter rubber band, and wrap it around your key fob after removing the key ring. Then put the key ring back on. Free, quick, and easy. :like:

Granted, the issue should be addressed by FCA, but until then, this free mod works great.
I haven't had any issues since using my carabiner, but seems like a nice work-a-round. They should bring that key back to the drawing board... I'd prefer my JK key, which was a standard house looking key with a rubber Jeep imprint on the top.

CookieSoup

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
100% agree on Key fob i did the AJT case
https://www.ajtdesign-llc.com/onlin...angler-JL-Gladiator-JT-HELLA-YELLA-p134527455

i don't like bells and whistles so your not going to sell me on much.

Things i want
2 Low
if they are going to keep the disco sway bar make it come out in 2 Hi even if you do some safety thing like has to have the Ebrake on to engage the disconnect cause i get its a liability thing cause people suck
Obviously a V8
Stick shift Diesel
No FAD on the rubicon
Factory flatbed might be kinda neat i feel like if someone starts doing them like the rest of the world others will follow

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
The issue with a roll down window would be how do you integrate it with a soft top. If the gladiator was a hard top or fixed top only vehicle it would be easy, every one would get one. With the soft aspect, what do you do, make two different cabs? What about dual top buyers.

I like the idea, my heart is with you on that tiny window. My old J20 had a twin sliding unit that allowed you to open up nearly half the window and with wind wings it made not having AC bearable.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Things i want
2 Low
if they are going to keep the disco sway bar make it come out in 2 Hi even if you do some safety thing like has to have the Ebrake on to engage the disconnect cause i get its a liability thing cause people suck
Obviously a V8
Stick shift Diesel
No FAD on the rubicon
Factory flatbed might be kinda neat i feel like if someone starts doing them like the rest of the world others will follow
In theory the Teraflex 2lo kit from a JK would work to get you 2lo and all the fun of discos and lockers with it.
you can have it with some tinkering but what are you doing in 2hi that needs that much axle articulation but no driven axle? I can't see it doing any favors in say the mojave doing plaid in sand and then you need to steer and wowzers it wants to flip...
the v8 thing is a non-starter, FCA has said no, to much liability for crash safety, do what you want on your own time.
A rock crusher diesel does sound amazing but having seen what the aussies do with V8 twin turbo diesels back with an auto... think diesel locomotive, always on the boil.
FAD... mmm no thanks, more shit to break. I'd take old school locking hubs over a FAD.
I'm a champion of the tray back, see the aussies, for utility and travel. wheel houses are over rated.
Sponsored