First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Driving: Sport S Max Tow Gladiator in Sting-Gray
Occupation
Management in a retail setting
Hi All - First post from me. I am currently planning on getting my loan on my Suzuki SX4 paid down enough to break even on a trade-in value to get a Gladiator (And thanks to this forum I've a small list of mods already planned.... It will be my commuter vehicle and it'll be used for a couple Truck things to help my parents so nothing insane for the mods. Mostly cosmetics / comforts).

I'm curious to see if anyone think's we'll get the V6 eTorque engine as an available option when 2021 models become available for order. I'm in a serious internal debate as to getting a diesel or gas for all the pros & cons with them. As much as I *want* the diesel for the torque, I don't want to eff around with all the emissions B$ that accompanies it. I think the eTorque might be a nice middle ground.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Your location says Columbus, so does that mean OH? I didn't think you guys had to deal with much in the way of emissions tests like the United Communist state of California. I don't know a whole lot about the diesel here but I think that you have to just get some diesel emissions fluid topped up every oil change or something like that (3k, 5k or 10k mi I think). I don't think it's super expensive but you could always inquire with the JK/JL forum guys, I'm sure they post about it.

I too would love a diesel but I don't drive nearly enough to ever see the cost savings potential from it in mileage. It's an extra $4k over the gas auto so you have to think about that, plus the extra price per gallon compared to regular unleaded. I know some guys weren't huge fans of the eTorque 4-cylinder in the Wrangler because there were some lines running from the front of the vehicle to the back underneath that they seemed worried about (I never had 1, can't tell you). I wouldn't mind us getting an e-Torque option as my Gladiator is leased and I'd like to see more options when it comes time to trade up or buy.

OP
OP
IamWardicus

IamWardicus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Driving: Sport S Max Tow Gladiator in Sting-Gray
Occupation
Management in a retail setting
Yea, I'm in Ohio.
My 5x week drive for work is 30 highway miles one way so I know the diesel will get warmed up easily enough. I also try to do a trip to my parents house in northern Ohio for a good 250 mile round trip every month or two. Topping off the DEF isn't a biggie at all.

If I find I can afford the up front costs of the diesel I'm sure I'll recoup my money since it's my intent to have the truck until it falls apart (which is hopefully much much later than sooner). I've considered a lease of a Wrangler diesel just to play with it but I really want the truck.

You're correct as I don't think we deal with much emissions testing, but I'm not sure anyone will ever make a delete tune and have it available here in the US (I hate CARB - I also have zero interest in "rolling coal"). I'm paying attention to GDE and the shop in Canada that I hear distributes their tunes. If something good happens and it becomes possible to get rid of some of the emissions crap I'll happily jump on it as it would likely make my long term diesel dreams possible.

I'll be eagerly looking around for 2021 Gladiator news to see what types of changes they'll make to the model.

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
Yea, I'm in Ohio.
My 5x week drive for work is 30 highway miles one way so I know the diesel will get warmed up easily enough. I also try to do a trip to my parents house in northern Ohio for a good 250 mile round trip every month or two. Topping off the DEF isn't a biggie at all.

If I find I can afford the up front costs of the diesel I'm sure I'll recoup my money since it's my intent to have the truck until it falls apart (which is hopefully much much later than sooner). I've considered a lease of a Wrangler diesel just to play with it but I really want the truck.

You're correct as I don't think we deal with much emissions testing, but I'm not sure anyone will ever make a delete tune and have it available here in the US (I hate CARB - I also have zero interest in "rolling coal"). I'm paying attention to GDE and the shop in Canada that I hear distributes their tunes. If something good happens and it becomes possible to get rid of some of the emissions crap I'll happily jump on it as it would likely make my long term diesel dreams possible.

I'll be eagerly looking around for 2021 Gladiator news to see what types of changes they'll make to the model.
I'm all for the diesel inthe Gladiator and all against the eTorque motor. Plain ole 3.6 liter or diesel or....nothing. Hate to be that negative but just not into anything electrical/hybrid at all. Waiting to see the 2021 info. Hope it comes out soon.

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2020 Hydro blue Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
Not sure where I read it but I’m under the impression that starting in 21 all Gladiators get an etorque.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, I'm in Ohio.

Well keeping it for a long time is a good way to recoup the costs on a diesel. I know many proponents of diesel also say if you take care of it that it will last longer than the gasoline equivalents. I would love to have one as well even though I don't drive nearly as much. I like the numbers on them and think if I kept it that it would be better overall. Honestly though, I'm averaging 21.4mpg as of yesterday when I got home. I'm in IN, right next to you, with a 15mi round trip to work, about 65/35 highway city, so the fuel economy isn't terrible like some people have (stock Sport S w/Max Tow). Though I'd get much better with a diesel ;)

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
If someone is just commuting and wheeling, not heavy hauling or towing. The 2.0 Turbo with ETorque would be a great option. I had a New Sahara JLU for a week as a loaner while they worked on my JT. Performance was impressive.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If someone is just commuting and wheeling, not heavy hauling or towing. The 2.0 Turbo with ETorque would be a great option. I had a New Sahara JLU for a week as a loaner while they worked on my JT. Performance was impressive.
Ya... that's going away. No more mild hybrid 4.

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Ya... that's going away. No more mild hybrid 4.

For sure? That would surprise me because that's the direction most Car companies are going to keep up with ever increasing CAFE standards.

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
I think I would rather have the 2.0L than the 3.6

Seems like a MUCH more appropriate engine for the Jeep.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For sure? That would surprise me because that's the direction most Car companies are going to keep up with ever increasing CAFE standards.
Maybe not "for sure" as it hasn't been confirmed by FCA yet, but I've seen several articles reporting it:

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/28/2021-jeep-wrangler-engine-options/

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34565...onnections," Mopar,the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6.

Just a couple I could find quickly. Dunno how valid they are, but it's what I read.
Sponsored