Gladiator 3.6 Turbo possible?

Revjonesy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I have had my 2021 Gladiator for almost 2 months now. I don't have too much issue with power. It actually performs better than I expected, given comments on forums and my past experience with Jeeps in Wrangler form. We purchased a 2020 Wrangler JLU for my wife with a 2.0 Turbo. It has a good bit of go which surprised me. But here is my question.

Does anyone think Jeep will put a 3.6 with a turbo in either Wrangler or Gladiator? Given the success of Ford's Ecoboost powerplants, I believe the 3.6 would benefit greatly with a factory turbo setup. Thoughts?
Sponsored

COmtnbiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ; 2022 Sport S JT
The I4 Turbo in the Wrangler is great. Really peppy and doesn't lose power in the mtns. The Gladdy 4xe supposedly comes out 2024, which uses the I4 + hybrid in it.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I have had my 2021 Gladiator for almost 2 months now. I don't have too much issue with power. It actually performs better than I expected, given comments on forums and my past experience with Jeeps in Wrangler form. We purchased a 2020 Wrangler JLU for my wife with a 2.0 Turbo. It has a good bit of go which surprised me. But here is my question.

Does anyone think Jeep will put a 3.6 with a turbo in either Wrangler or Gladiator? Given the success of Ford's Ecoboost powerplants, I believe the 3.6 would benefit greatly with a factory turbo setup. Thoughts?
Unlikely they would choose to turbo the pentastar at this point. Being a Stellantis brand there are a ton of turbo engines available to them from Europe that were made specifically to be turbo'd that would be a better choice.

Personally id love to see the Alfa 2.9 turbo with the crazy high output in it

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Unlikely they would choose to turbo the pentastar at this point. Being a Stellantis brand there are a ton of turbo engines available to them from Europe that were made specifically to be turbo'd that would be a better choice.

I love that engine. From what I’ve heard, it’s basically a Ferrari engine with 2 cylinders chopped off.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

I thought that some of the reasons for some of the changes in the 3.6 6 years ago was in prep for a future turbo.
Granted, things have changed with the corporate re-arranging and such, but still, it would be so easy since the engine was already moving that direction from what I have read.
The other advantage would be that the truck has already been certified, tested and so on for all of their design and crash stuff. Different engine means going through a lot of that all over again. That's one reason the team wasn't allowed to modify the radiator area for a larger radiator - it had already been certified.

OP
OP

Revjonesy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
A few thoughts based replies.

I'm not interested in the I4 in a Gladdy, mainly because I have the max tow package and would be very hesitant to tow a travel trailer, boat, etc, with the I4.

The diesel has a reputation for building a lot of heat when towing inclines and high altitudes. They need to rethink a few ways of getting plenty of airflow into that engine bay, and a 7 slot isn't cutting it. Hood scoops, making the entire grill a grill, etc.

I know there are aftermarket options available for turbo and superchargers. The cost is ridiculous. A factory single turbo setup is preferable, at least for me, mainly because of warrantability, reliability, and yes, cost.

I'm personally not familiar with the 2.9 Alfa motor. But I still would like a beefier 6 cyl. Ford trucks have both 2.5 Ecoboost twin turbo, and a 3.5 single turbo options. Both are great from my experience. If they already have the I4, putting a turbo on the 3.6 is a better option IMO.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
A turbocharged Pentastar is certainly possible, but I think extremely unlikely.

My son's friend drives a Wrangler with the turbo 4 and he really hates it. I've never driven a Jeep with that engine. Does it really have good power, or would I have to accept a major compromise?

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
505hp! And torque (I don't remember the numbers, I think in the 400s).

They could even detune it and the engine would still be better than any other option (outside a 5.7 or Hellcat).

There might be an issue of cooling, but it'd be an interesting combo.
Sponsored