Sponsored

Why did everyone decide their trim level (sport vs rubicon etc)?

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Overland after taking a Sport S for a test drive (only because the wife bought the Sport S on the spot) I really wanted the Rubi, with all the bells and whistles, but after her purchase it didn't leave me enough of a budget for Rubi, oh well, just means I get to spend on aftermarket add ons, woot woot!!
Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I went Overland because the discounts were so much greater than on the Rubicons. My Overland is loaded, with a $54k msrp, and I could have purchased a lesser equipped Rubicon for the same MSRP price, but the Overland discount was several thousand more. Plus, I would have also needed to purchase side steps for 5'4" fiance and 8 yr old kiddo. I'm glad my Overland came with the Mopar black tubular side steps, I hate the look of the standard Overland "bleachers". Even after upgrading tires and purchasing a Rubicon take off suspension, I'm still well ahead of the Rubicon sales price and I don't need front and rear lockers and sway bar disco. With my 275/70/18" A/Ts (larger than OEM Rubicon tires) and trash lock in the rear it will do everything I need it to do. I also don't live in CO anymore. I purchased a JKU Rubicon before I moved out there. At this point, the only thing I wished I had was the 4.10 gears and the Mopar steel front bumper. The 3.73s are fine with my 33.5" tires, but if I went larger I'd really want the 4.10s.

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
if I purchased a rubicon, I will have to mod it with more of a trail preference in mind. It’s longer wheelbase calls for more of an aggressive goal.
I was going back and forth for weeks deciding, but in the end, the sport s or overland just suits MY needs better than a rubicon.
All JTs have the same wheelbase.....

Sponsored

bshillam

First Name
Bryrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.portlandres.com
Vehicle(s)
Over 60 prior. Current 2001 Isuzu Trooper, 2016 BMW 4 series convertible, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow Stingray
Occupation
Real Estate Broker and Yacht Broker, 503-781-9967
Max tow. About a $7k spread between that and the Rubi. The only thing I was going to use was wheels from the Rubi. Don't need lockers so its decided. I'll put a mild lift on the max tow and new wheels/tires. Use it mainly for commute and towing. Got $2k off employee pricing thinking that wasn't too bad of a shake.

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
yes... thanks for the correction. i added more stuff to that comment but i guess it didn't register.
I thought there might have been something that wasn't said, but just in case someone read that and thought there was a different chassis I clarified

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
What was the msrp of that build?
$43K Plus some change. Just FYI that $35,500 was including a $2K swing from Trade in so I guess it was $37,500

Last edited:
Reactions: d k

NightFog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 20 Gladiator Rubicon
GF decided she wanted a new red Rubicon and all I had to do was find one and pay for it.
After walking away from deals on a couple of red ones she now changes her mind and wanted a Punk'n Rubicon and the fenders and top had to be body color. :headbang: This was much more of a challenge as the Punk'n was discontinued. After about a month of searching all over the US I finally purchased a Punk'n Rubicon and had it shipped. She now has her dream Rubicon :jk: and my bank account is lighter. :facepalm:

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Sport S Max Tow because I didn't have the budget for a full Rubicon ... and my dealer put together their own package on the Max Tow where they took Rubi take off Wheels, Springs, Shocks, and Sliders. Only thing I miss not having are the locking diffs.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went Overland because the discounts were so much greater than on the Rubicons. My Overland is loaded, with a $54k msrp, and I could have purchased a lesser equipped Rubicon for the same MSRP price, but the Overland discount was several thousand more. Plus, I would have also needed to purchase side steps for 5'4" fiance and 8 yr old kiddo. I'm glad my Overland came with the Mopar black tubular side steps, I hate the look of the standard Overland "bleachers". Even after upgrading tires and purchasing a Rubicon take off suspension, I'm still well ahead of the Rubicon sales price and I don't need front and rear lockers and sway bar disco. With my 275/70/18" A/Ts (larger than OEM Rubicon tires) and trash lock in the rear it will do everything I need it to do. I also don't live in CO anymore. I purchased a JKU Rubicon before I moved out there. At this point, the only thing I wished I had was the 4.10 gears and the Mopar steel front bumper. The 3.73s are fine with my 33.5" tires, but if I went larger I'd really want the 4.10s.
Yea that Steel Front Bumper is on my list to upgrade to.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow because I didn't have the budget for a full Rubicon ... and my dealer put together their own package on the Max Tow where they took Rubi take off Wheels, Springs, Shocks, and Sliders. Only thing I miss not having are the locking diffs.
Is there that much difference on the Rubi Springs, Shocks than a Max Tow. Supposidly on the Max two you've got different springs. I had thought about putting on some Fox Shocks down the line

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
I'm not sure if this is the right place to as or not, but where do you find the option of the 7" screen on the config page?
I dont see it listed anywhere but half of the ones I'm looking at have them....?

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure if this is the right place to as or not, but where do you find the option of the 7" screen on the config page?
I dont see it listed anywhere but half of the ones I'm looking at have them....?
I don't know if they offer it anymore it was already in the build of the truck on the lot. I think now if you don't find one already built with it in there you have to go with the 5" or the upcharge on the 8.4. So far I am liking the 7". I wouldn't have minded the 8.4 as I had it my previous truck but so far I am thinking the upcharge to 8.4 is not worth it to me.

TREDpunk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Wage Slave
Went with Sport S Max Tow. Rubi's are a bit out of the price I wanted to lay down and got my MT for a great price. Out the door I was well away from a Rubi price so have room to put in Rubi-like upgrades or more down the line if I want.
Sponsored