First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Recycling & Sustainability Supervisor
My situation was similar to yours. I looked at all of the models, and for the price, I got a Sport S Max Tow. Daily driver, mostly highway, tow a boat to the lake, minor off-road trails, it didn't justify the price of the others. I had an Eco-Diesel Ram 1500 before this, and I didn't want to deal with that headache again either. Just drive them and see which you prefer and which would work best for your situation.
Sponsored

Javejim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Slacker
I can’t add to anything to the discussion as far as specs or features…I researched and spread-sheeted till I was cross eyed. Being a child of the 60’s and 70’s “Mad Men” advertising, I finally just decided to go with what looked cool. Cushy ride…cool. Unique hood…cool! Orange highlights…cool!! Level stance….cool!!! Model specific parts that will drive me crazy as the vehicle ages…kinda cool (in a car snob way). So, my advice is to please NOT buy a Mojave. My psyche and self esteem are dependent on my driving such a cool vehicle, and every new one that hits the road, in some small way, diminishes me.
All kidding aside….I don’t think you can go wrong with any jt….enjoy!!!

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Sport S Max Tow then you can say it in every post.

Sport S Max Tow, Sport S Max Tow, Sport S Max Tow. Rubicon axles and Sport S Max Tow.

Hristo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTM, 19 Subaru Outback, 05 LJ
OP, like you, and many others I'm sure, I debated this for quite a while. In the end, I decided that the Rubicon features, while awesome (I've owned a Wrangler Rubicon previously), were not quite as useful to me in truck form. I recently ordered a Mojave because its features were better suited to what I will use it for. Only you can answer that. You'll end up with a pretty cool truck either way.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I told my buddy I was getting General Grabber ATX’s as they were a bit cheaper than Nitto M/T’s and we had the same discussion!
I guess it all depends on what you want. I DO NOT want mud tires.

Glad I could help. Just let me know if your trying to decide on what 35s to go with. I know the exact ones you should buy.
I was thinking Bridgestone K02s. I know its unimaginative, but they seem like a good all around tire. Also, I'll have a second set of wheels for snows with Nokian Hakkapeliittas on them.

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I guess it all depends on what you want. I DO NOT want mud tires.

I was thinking Bridgestone K02s. I know its unimaginative, but they seem like a good all around tire. Also, I'll have a second set of wheels for snows with Nokian Hakkapeliittas on them.
I wanted an M/T, but the General Grabber is a great option, middle of the road, much like the BFG KO2 you are considering. It is also a bit cheaper so maybe I recommend you consider It before shelling out that hard earned cash.

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
There seems to be an obsession with the Mojave trim that I cant put my finger on. Maybe its because its the newest high end trim or maybe because it exclusive to the Gladiator? I researched like crazy and test drove them all and just didn't see it. If your thing is sand and desert, than yeah I get it. It just seems to be what the Rubicon was in the TJ, the latest and greatest.

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
I told my buddy I was getting General Grabber ATX’s as they were a bit cheaper than Nitto M/T’s and we had the same discussion!
you didnt want the ko2s or the Toyo Rts lol

Montana_Wildcat

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ram Power Wagon
Occupation
#BBN #RaiderNation
There seems to be an obsession with the Mojave trim that I cant put my finger on. Maybe its because its the newest high end trim or maybe because it exclusive to the Gladiator? I researched like crazy and test drove them all and just didn't see it. If your thing is sand and desert, than yeah I get it. It just seems to be what the Rubicon was in the TJ, the latest and greatest.
I don't think so. Comparing it to the Rubicon is apples-and-oranges. Different tools for different jobs. There are very useful upgrades. Much better suspension, stronger frame and knuckles, one inch lift in the front, wider track, better bolstered seats. I chose it because of the crappy paved and rough gravel roads up here in Montana...it absolutely kicks butt in this environment. The suspension is in its element and I know the reinforced components will hold up better under the beating they are inevitably taking. Oh, and the seats are amazing!

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
LOL, people act like the Mojave is a completely different JT, it's basically a better set of shocks, the rest of the stuff doesn't really matter. Regular F150 vs FX4 package, is pretty much the same thing, not like it's the equivalent of a regular F150 vs a Raptor.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I don't think so. Comparing it to the Rubicon is apples-and-oranges. Different tools for different jobs. There are very useful upgrades. Much better suspension, stronger frame and knuckles, one inch lift in the front, wider track, better bolstered seats. I chose it because of the crappy paved and rough gravel roads up here in Montana...it absolutely kicks butt in this environment. The suspension is in its element and I know the reinforced components will hold up better under the beating they are inevitably taking. Oh, and the seats are amazing!
The track on a Mojave is only wider because of the wheels. The axles are the same wide axles as the Rubicon and Max Tow. But, all these trucks are similar enough that I don't think you can go wrong. They are all so good, with their own unique flair. OP can't go wrong here!

Whitarmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2014 JKR
I've found a couple at the local lots. The options/price that work for me are there on both but I've only been able to test drive the Mojave. I wasn't expecting it to have the highway manners that it did. Love the feel and the ride. The salesman let me get it on the interstate and cruse at 80 for a bit.
What I will be doing since it will be my DD:
  • 95% highway
  • 4% lake roads, trails, etc. (no rock climbing)
  • 1% towing for errands and a possible light camper rental from time to time
With either, I plan on adding a 2-3 inch lift just to change the look and possibly accommodate some different tires. Knowing this, would it make sense to maybe go with an aftermarket lift on the Rubicon with some Fox (or comparable) shocks that would give me the same great highway drive that the Mojave does? Again, I'm assuming that the Rubicon is less friendly on the road because of the spring/shock setup. Haven't test drove one yet.

UPDATE:
Thanks to the helpful suggestions in this thread, I picked up my new baby on Friday. I went with the blue Mojave. I fell in love with that color when I first started shopping and two dealerships had both the Rubicon and Mojave with almost all of the options that I would have ordered.

After spending a weekend with her doing the normal weekend stuff, I am beyond happy with my choice. It's comfortable enough that the wife is happy and it's just a lot of fun! The Texas roads used to rattle the teeth out of my head with my Taco but the Mojave is smooth. Zero complaints except the amount of money this dang forum is making me spend! Thanks again for the very helpful responses!
late to the party with your thread. Glad you are happy with the purchase. I was going to suggest what you got based on your intended use. You will probably see me around as I am in San Antonio also.

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
If you're going to add a lift I'd go Rubi. You're basically throwing away the reason the Mojave trim is available, the suspension, by adding a lift. Putting 35s on won't be an issue. Cruising around on forest roads is a Mojave's speciality.
They make a lift for the mojave to keep the original shocks so this is wrong
Sponsored