Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Hey all! You've probably seen me lurking around the forum for awhile now. My name is Sam and I have wanted a gladiator since the day they were rumored. I am excited to say that I've finally paid the price to get into the club, and I should have mine in a little over a week. It's been a long journey, but worth the wait.

Info on my Jeep and on Me. I am an Ohioan recently displaced to Dallas to get my Doctorate in history. I currently teach history at a university in Dallas, where I specialize in antebellum history, the founding, and congress. I also work for a nonprofit that provides nonpartisan political information. I named my jeep the Pequod after the ship in Moby Dick... I'm also a huge american literature buff.

So the long story is as follows. Back in 2012 I was working at a chevy dealer to work my way through college. I did custom work on trucks: radios, lifts, etc. I was between a used JK and a new silverado. I couldn't go wrong with the employee pricing at the time (they have since reduced it significantly). So I bought the silverado. I've loved the old girl dearly, and I was probably right to buy the truck at the time because I use the bed quite frequently, but I have realized that I don't need all that bed. Right after I bought the silverado, however, I began looking to trade it in for a JK. What made things worse was that less than two weeks after that I got my new chevy stuck in a hail storm, and when they fixed the dents they didn't do a great job. But I digress.

So yesterday I officially sent the check and signed the papers from vacation all the way up in Ohio. I've got a lot of mods in mind, but this is going to be my overlanding/camping rig, as well as a crawler and a daily driver, so I'm trying to do a ton of research and keep a good balance between toy and practicality. Here is what I am thinking for the rounds of my modding.

Round 1:
1. Mopar lift (i've debated this over and over again-- I was really close to going with Rusty's and might down the line--but I decided to go conservative. It's getting installed while I'm on vacation)
2. Method "the standard" wheels in 17 inch (on order right now from DTD, will drive straight from the stealership to DTD to get them put on)
3. Nitto Ridge grapplers, 35 inch (I've always run nittos, my chevy has nitto trails and I wanted to try something different with a little less noise and that wears a little better, we will see how they go)
4. Spiked Lugs.. I know, I know... I had to do it and I might end up hating them
5. Color matched flares from a fellow forum member I hope to pick them up the week after the truck and install them
6. Other minimal stuff, new antenna, spray in liner, the little cup holder things, stuff to tie me over until I save up enough to do more big modding.

Round 2:
1. Retractable tonneau cover with bed rack. I am really looking for a more affordable option to the one currently out. I like that it is American made, but I want to see some competition.
2. RTT. Hard top one, low profile. Definitely open to suggestions, but I want it to fit over the bed with no overhang, and I want it to be easily removable for daily driving. I am thinking the ikamper one but I am still doing some research.

Round 3:
1. Running boards. I am thinking the tygers.
2. Steel bumper. I am thinking the mopar?
3. American Adventure Labs highline fenders
4. Some kind of sound make-over

Theres probably a lot I am missing here that I have thought about, but this is my starting list.

Here are some pics of the old truck and the new truck.

This is the best I got for now! The in laws took it for my while I'm away
Jeep Gladiator Pequod Sting Gray Build 2203251699479235302

The old girl:
Jeep Gladiator Pequod Sting Gray Build -3392507423337951825
Sponsored

Last edited:

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Congrats again Sam...I followed your journey to get your JT, now I'll follow all the fun you'll have modifying it :beer: :like:

OP
OP
sirsamuel764

sirsamuel764

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Congrats again Sam...I followed your journey to get your JT, now I'll follow all the fun you'll have modifying it :beer: :like:

Thanks partner! You were a big help giving me the confidence to pull the trigger. My wife and I wanted to take an overlanding trip out to your neck of the woods if we got the Jeep by summer, but now summers over and I'm about to be back to school. Maybe in the fall we'll make a trip out there and we can meet up for some wheeling!

OP
OP
sirsamuel764

sirsamuel764

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Finally picked up the ol' girl this morning. I had tires and wheels put on directly.... and a few minutes later I took it off the pavement (as close as somebody can get to off roading in lubbock, TX). Here's some pictures from Day 1 of my gladiator ownership. I love this thing even more than I imagined I would. I can't manage to keep myself out of the driver seat!

image000000.jpg

image000001.jpg

image000003.jpg

image000004.jpg

image000005.jpg

image000007.jpg

image000008.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
sirsamuel764

sirsamuel764

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Jeep Gladiator Pequod Sting Gray Build Screenshot_20200824-114942~2

Then gave her a bath. This week, I will remove the plastic pieces between the fender and bumper if all goes according to plan.

Oh, yeah, I also removed the gladiator and sport stickers.

Stonesolo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport S
Occupation
Printer
Hey all! You've probably seen me lurking around the forum for awhile now. My name is Sam and I have wanted a gladiator since the day they were rumored. I am excited to say that I've finally paid the price to get into the club, and I should have mine in a little over a week. It's been a long journey, but worth the wait.

Info on my Jeep and on Me. I am an Ohioan recently displaced to Dallas to get my Doctorate in history. I currently teach history at a university in Dallas, where I specialize in antebellum history, the founding, and congress. I also work for a nonprofit that provides nonpartisan political information. I named my jeep the Pequod after the ship in Moby Dick... I'm also a huge american literature buff.

So the long story is as follows. Back in 2012 I was working at a chevy dealer to work my way through college. I did custom work on trucks: radios, lifts, etc. I was between a used JK and a new silverado. I couldn't go wrong with the employee pricing at the time (they have since reduced it significantly). So I bought the silverado. I've loved the old girl dearly, and I was probably right to buy the truck at the time because I use the bed quite frequently, but I have realized that I don't need all that bed. Right after I bought the silverado, however, I began looking to trade it in for a JK. What made things worse was that less than two weeks after that I got my new chevy stuck in a hail storm, and when they fixed the dents they didn't do a great job. But I digress.

So yesterday I officially sent the check and signed the papers from vacation all the way up in Ohio. I've got a lot of mods in mind, but this is going to be my overlanding/camping rig, as well as a crawler and a daily driver, so I'm trying to do a ton of research and keep a good balance between toy and practicality. Here is what I am thinking for the rounds of my modding.

Round 1:
1. Mopar lift (i've debated this over and over again-- I was really close to going with Rusty's and might down the line--but I decided to go conservative. It's getting installed while I'm on vacation)
2. Method "the standard" wheels in 17 inch (on order right now from DTD, will drive straight from the stealership to DTD to get them put on)
3. Nitto Ridge grapplers, 35 inch (I've always run nittos, my chevy has nitto trails and I wanted to try something different with a little less noise and that wears a little better, we will see how they go)
4. Spiked Lugs.. I know, I know... I had to do it and I might end up hating them
5. Color matched flares from a fellow forum member I hope to pick them up the week after the truck and install them
6. Other minimal stuff, new antenna, spray in liner, the little cup holder things, stuff to tie me over until I save up enough to do more big modding.

Round 2:
1. Retractable tonneau cover with bed rack. I am really looking for a more affordable option to the one currently out. I like that it is American made, but I want to see some competition.
2. RTT. Hard top one, low profile. Definitely open to suggestions, but I want it to fit over the bed with no overhang, and I want it to be easily removable for daily driving. I am thinking the ikamper one but I am still doing some research.

Round 3:
1. Running boards. I am thinking the tygers.
2. Steel bumper. I am thinking the mopar?
3. American Adventure Labs highline fenders
4. Some kind of sound make-over

Theres probably a lot I am missing here that I have thought about, but this is my starting list.

Here are some pics of the old truck and the new truck.

This is the best I got for now! The in laws took it for my while I'm away

The old girl:
Here is mine that I got 2 weeks ago...Sting gray is an awesome color....congrats!

20200822_184032.jpg

Resized_20200811_185906.jpeg

OP
OP
sirsamuel764

sirsamuel764

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Here is mine that I got 2 weeks ago...Sting gray is an awesome color....congrats!

20200822_184032.jpg

Resized_20200811_185906.jpeg

Awesome!! I love the sting gray. Cheers brother!

I plan to get some color matched fenders soon

OP
OP
sirsamuel764

sirsamuel764

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
That is a good looking truck!! I could be biased though.

Jeep Gladiator Pequod Sting Gray Build B5D3D3E6-4577-4572-B86F-494FEE66698F
MAN! wherever you are that looks like a good time! Where is that? I'm assuming not near indiana?

I see that youre from indiana. My wife and I might be moving to South Bend because we both have job offers in the works and we want to get back to the midwest.

Did we just become bestfriends/ wheeling buddies?

Also, those black rhino armorys you got on there? I was real close to buying those- they look great! I had black rhinos rockwells on my old truck and loved em.

Sponsored

Deleted member 24880

MAN! wherever you are that looks like a good time! Where is that? I'm assuming not near indiana?

I see that youre from indiana. My wife and I might be moving to South Bend because we both have job offers in the works and we want to get back to the midwest.

Did we just become bestfriends/ wheeling buddies?

Also, those black rhino armorys you got on there? I was real close to buying those- they look great! I had black rhinos rockwells on my old truck and loved em.
That picture was at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Mears, MI. It’s about 3.5 hours from NE IN so should be similar if you move to SB. I can always use people to wheel with. I’m sure we can find other places as well. Mine are BR Abrams But similar to the Armory. Shop I bought them from actually ordered them for their “dealer truck” but they were taking to long to get in so they went a different route and I scooped them up. Wasn’t 100% sold on them initially but the wife was and when you get the green light to spend $$$$ you don’t piss around. I love them now because you don’t see a lot of truck with them.

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
Sting gray owners UNITE!!

Nice truck! Trying to wait before replacing the tires but yours looks awfully damn good!

Jeep Gladiator Pequod Sting Gray Build 20200812_175239

OP
OP
sirsamuel764

sirsamuel764

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Sting gray owners UNITE!!

Nice truck! Trying to wait before replacing the tires but yours looks awfully damn good!

Jeep Gladiator Pequod Sting Gray Build 20200812_175239
Thanks man! I did a ton of thinking on the size of lift and tires and I really love the way it came out.

OP
OP
sirsamuel764

sirsamuel764

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Jeep Gladiator Pequod Sting Gray Build 15983118666313199111176959156455

Mission remove fender-bumper connector. Dang are these suckers threaded. Jeep really wanted you to report that extra .2 mpg I guess