Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
it depends whether what you're towing is a big heavy sail or just a heavy load that doesn't give you a ton of wind resistance. travel trailer is 8ft x 12ft sail. you could tow way more without engine struggling if you're towing a trailer that is 6ft x 2ft wind facing footprint (ie. open cargo trailer). you combine weight and the big sail and you're redlining every time you go up a hill. Forget gas mileage because you're burning about 40-50L/100km. to give you perspective, going 90km/h i average less than 20L/100, probably average 18L if there's no wind. If i go 110km/h, I'm more around 21/22 which is a 20% increase in gas. Step it up to 120km/h and you're lucky if you get 25L/100.
I think it has more to do with the grade. Seeing lots of posts on FB with folks having 37s and towing large campers without any issue. They all seem to be in fairly flat parts, however. The rules change when you gotta climb even a small hill
Sponsored

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
I think it has more to do with the grade. Seeing lots of posts on FB with folks having 37s and towing large campers without any issue. They all seem to be in fairly flat parts, however. The rules change when you gotta climb even a small hill
it's combination of both. if you have one without the other, you're probably ok. I mean i have towed my trailer about 12,000km in the past year and still doing it so it's not the end of the world. Just annoying to listen to and I think a matter of time before something gives.

JTTrailDraggin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Airport operations manager
The reason the Gladiator is limited in towing capacity is due to the weight of the tow vehicle itself. A 5-6000lb vehicle simply canā€™t tow anything heavier because at the end of the day you still gotta be able to stop the rig. Imagine trying to stop a 9000lb camper with a 5200lb Jeep. Even with electric brakes on the trailer it can be dangerous in certain conditions.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ 4.0 turbo, 18 GC Trailhawk 3.6, 17 F150 Screw 3.5EB
The reason the Gladiator is limited in towing capacity is due to the weight of the tow vehicle itself. A 5-6000lb vehicle simply canā€™t tow anything heavier because at the end of the day you still gotta be able to stop the rig. Imagine trying to stop a 9000lb camper with a 5200lb Jeep. Even with electric brakes on the trailer it can be dangerous in certain conditions.
My tow vehicle (non-gladiator) weighs in at 5700lbs (7,000 GVWR) and has a GCWR rating of 16,100lbs, so what youā€™re saying is not really true.

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Gladiator, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Boeing
I just bought my JT two weeks ago, I should have waited

Sponsored

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
My tow vehicle (non-gladiator) weighs in at 5700lbs (7,000 GVWR) and has a GCWR rating of 16,100lbs, so what youā€™re saying is not really true.
This is why you donā€™t ask the internet for towing information. Logic like that would make towing with any any tractor trailer impossible. Yet there are quite a few people that will solicit their opinions even if you donā€™t ask.

Anything attached to the rear of the vehicle requires you the driver to understand what you are doing. The whole idea of going with a bigger vehicle to tow ā€˜like it isnā€™t even thereā€™ is just as dangerous as being over the weight ratings of your tow vehicle.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ 4.0 turbo, 18 GC Trailhawk 3.6, 17 F150 Screw 3.5EB
This is why you donā€™t ask the internet for towing information. Logic like that would make towing with any any tractor trailer impossible. Yet there are quite a few people that will solicit their opinions even if you donā€™t ask.

Anything attached to the rear of the vehicle requires you the driver to understand what you are doing. The whole idea of going with a bigger vehicle to tow ā€˜like it isnā€™t even thereā€™ is just as dangerous as being over the weight ratings of your tow vehicle.
I was referencing the guy who made the comment that a 5-6k vehicle cant tow more than the gladiator can as its limited due to weight of the vehicle. And well my f150 supercrew only weighs 5700lbs and can definitely safely tow and stop a trailer more than 7,650lbs. And we know the diesel gladiator is limited towing due to cooling issues (not weight of the vehicle) and why it cant as much as the 3.6.

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on 2023 Gladiator Diesel (long story)
Occupation
Flight Dispatcher / Aircraft Maintenance Engineer /
I want the diesel because of how far I have to tow and because I want power at altitude. In Canada it would probably be cheaper to buy the 3.6 and throw a turbo on it, but there goes the warranty. So in the end it wouldn't be cheaper at all. So power at altitude and distance of towing massive aero dynamic brick...Diesel.

As for what the jeep can tow...the Diesel will probably tow a rail yard boxcar. Won't stop it, but it will tow it. The cooling issues is the only one that is logical for what limits the towing for the diesel.

There are people (like me) that could care less what a MAX towing is. On my 2017 Ford Ecoboost F-150, I would NEVER tow over 11,000lbs. It says I can, but i am no where near dumb enough to do it.

Where as when I get my diesel JT, I would happily tow 7,600lbs all day long. Will the engine explode...Nope. Will the truck stop it? Yup. Will I tow 7,600lbs in 110 degree weather up a giant hill with an insane grade...nope.

There has to be some common sense here people. I have read some stupid stuff on here. Just like me saying I am going to tow over the max payload. Keep in mind, FCA and every other manufacturer limits the vehicles with a bit of fudge factor for stupid people.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FCA openly admitted the issue is cooling. If that is the only issue given the same or stronger other components as compared to a Max Tow then there is little risk at towing up to that 7650 rating and having any issues with stopping or driveline failure. Unless it is 100+ out and you are towing up an extreme grade you will have no issues. The only issue you will have is legal since their derating impacts the GCWR. Given that there should be no issues towing up to the GCWR which depending on how much you weigh could be around 7k with a JTR

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
FCA openly admitted the issue is cooling. If that is the only issue given the same or stronger other components as compared to a Max Tow then there is little risk at towing up to that 7650 rating and having any issues with stopping or driveline failure. Unless it is 100+ out and you are towing up an extreme grade you will have no issues. The only issue you will have is legal since their derating impacts the GCWR. Given that there should be no issues towing up to the GCWR which depending on how much you weigh could be around 7k with a JTR
I am thinking the JTR should be able to tow 20 foot trailer at GVR of 6k lbs and a dry weight of 4K lbs, with a hitch Wieght of 500 lbs (With leveling hitch) with 2 people in the truck. I donā€™t believe i will put more than 1k lbs in the trailer since i will not tow with water till i get close to the camp site. I am hoping this should be no issues with the New JTR Diesel? Any opinions out there?

Sponsored

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am thinking the JTR should be able to tow 20 foot trailer at GVR of 6k lbs and a dry weight of 4K lbs, with a hitch Wieght of 500 lbs (With leveling hitch) with 2 people in the truck. I donā€™t believe i will put more than 1k lbs in the trailer since i will not tow with water till i get close to the camp site. I am hoping this should be no issues with the New JTR Diesel? Any opinions out there?
Should be fine with that but you are going to want at least 600lb of tongue weight at 6k loaded to maintain a stable tow. 10% of the trailer weight should be your baseline tongue weight to keep a good balance.

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Should be fine with that but you are going to want at least 600lb of tongue weight at 6k loaded to maintain a stable tow. 10% of the trailer weight should be your baseline tongue weight to keep a good balance.
Thank you! How do balance it? Is that done with the leveling hitch?

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Balance the weight in front and behind the trailer axle. Can be measured on a CAT scale or get a tongue scale.
Thank you, sounds like we are both waiting for our JTRā€™s. When did you order yours?

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
7/8. Hoping it will be built early this week to make the ā€˜week of 9/20ā€™ delivery quoted in the Jeep Wave correction email.
Sponsored