Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
if I could get FCA to swing just the price differential I would do it!

Please follow up with their response. My 3.6 may or may not have been feeling a little sickly lately.........:LOL:
Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Wow, sounds like both engines kicked a rod. It is really weird to have that happen at all, let alone with two trucks at the same shop. Did you have the oil changed at that shop? I'm wondering if they perhaps didn't fill the oil enough or if they used the wrong oil. (But sheesh, pretty much ANY motor oil would prevent that from happening under normal use.)

I'm also wondering if OVER-filling could have caused this. I've heard of dealers putting 6 quarts into Gladiators because they assume they're the same as the Wrangler. Theoretically, too much oil can cause the crankshaft to whip air into the oil. And when oil is full of air, it doesn't lubricate very well.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Wow, sounds like both engines kicked a rod. It is really weird to have that happen at all, let alone with two trucks at the same shop. Did you have the oil changed at that shop? I'm wondering if they perhaps didn't fill the oil enough or if they used the wrong oil. (But sheesh, pretty much ANY motor oil would prevent that from happening under normal use.)

I'm also wondering if OVER-filling could have caused this. I've heard of dealers putting 6 quarts into Gladiators because they assume they're the same as the Wrangler. Theoretically, too much oil can cause the crankshaft to whip air into the oil. And when oil is full of air, it doesn't lubricate very well.
Nope. A friend who was an FCA engineer on the Pentastar design team told me ALL FCA engines are designed to pass every design certification test either 1 quart low or 1 quart high, and everywhere in between. So rest easy if your dealership put 6 quarts in it. I wouldn't go off-roading at extreme angles in an overfilled condition, but otherwise, it should do no harm.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Not unusual for 2 at the same shop. Just the opposite. Sometimes a dealership will get consecutive serial numbers off the same transport shop. It was probably some isolated incident on the engine assembly line that happened to a few in a row.

Sponsored

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow

What's the reason the 3.6 in JT has quart less oil? Oil pan design?

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Had this occurred in California I would’ve joked that even your motor pistons are dying to leave!!:surprised::giggle:
Ha, everytime I start thinking about leaving California, I go outside and remember why I stay. Except when the sky is filled with smoke..

blackeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Ha, everytime I start thinking about leaving California, I go outside and remember why I stay. Except when the sky is filled with smoke..
I feel you for sure. A week ago I was on a hike out to the ocean with the kids, heard a howl up on a ridge then watched a coyote climb for ten minutes, and was back in the city within 30 minutes.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I feel you for sure. A week ago I was on a hike out to the ocean with the kids, heard a howl up on a ridge then watched a coyote climb for ten minutes, and was back in the city within 30 minutes.
Exactly. I can be at the Ocean, Redwoods, Tahoe, Yosemite, all within two hours. It's hard to beat. I just hope my pistons agree with me.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Don't you mean a rod through the block? The piston is aluminum, large, in a cylinder surrounded by coolant, and then the walls of the block around that. It would have to shoot to the side - pistons go up and down. The piston would be blocked upward by the head, downward by the crankshaft - which would shred the piston.
A rod - yeah, that I could see. They break and go sideways out the side of the block. Best example I saw was a 232 (father of the 258) with a rod that opened up a fair crack in the side of the block. The couple finished driving it back to Iowa from the middle of Nebraska on 5 cylinders that way.

As far as foaming oil - windage, they call it - when the wind caused by the crank throws aerates the oil, foams it. You lose oil pressure when that happens. You also have trouble with the lifters and other things dependent on oil pressure.
There's a lot of these that have had 6 quarts put in them, there's even a couple of TSBs out there on the topic. If 6 quarts were to cause this sort of damage, I'd expect to see a lot more of this sort of thing. And the extreme angles these run - hmmmm, I sort of doubt that was the cause.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Hmm this is pretty curious. Can you recall the temperature that day, the humidity and your average driving conditions before it happened?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm this is pretty curious. Can you recall the temperature that day, the humidity and your average driving conditions before it happened?
Especially curious since these have been used in their current versions (physically, that is) since what, 2015? (meaning with VVT, VVL) We've had these in 2 Grand Cherokees and there's hundreds of thousands of them around.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What's the reason the 3.6 in JT has quart less oil? Oil pan design?
Almost has to be. Did they need more clearance for greater articulation, other parts under there, perhaps? Or find 6 simply wasn't necessary any more?
I never quite got the 6 quart bit anyway when heavier duty engines run 5 just fine.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
As far as foaming oil - windage, they call it - when the wind caused by the crank throws aerates the oil, foams it. You lose oil pressure when that happens. You also have trouble with the lifters and other things dependent on oil pressure.
There's a lot of these that have had 6 quarts put in them, there's even a couple of TSBs out there on the topic. If 6 quarts were to cause this sort of damage, I'd expect to see a lot more of this sort of thing. And the extreme angles these run - hmmmm, I sort of doubt that was the cause.
I think you're right about the 6 quart situation. Maybe those engines got more than six quarts? I just can't wrap my head around what would cause two Gladiators to end up at the same dealer with kicked rods. The only consistency I can think of is getting their oil changed at the same dealer.
Sponsored