TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome review! And I believe you are the 1st on TY with the Gladiator. I am subscriber number 14! :)
Appreciate it! Glad you enjoyed, and thanks for the sub! Keep an eye out for more content soon.
Sponsored

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
For any of you interested in following along on developments ...
I know you said you prefer pics over video, but I'd like to ask for more video content ... :) Your setup is exactly what I want to do (here in Australia) when the start all align and I can get a JT! So I'd be super keen to watch videos of all you do please?!

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I know you said you prefer pics over video, but I'd like to ask for more video content ... :) Your setup is exactly what I want to do (here in Australia) when the start all align and I can get a JT! So I'd be super keen to watch videos of all you do please?!
I'll certainly do what I can! I do plan on making more videos in general, so hopefully there will be something you like.

Feel free to follow along on my build thread as well. I have 4-5 pages of content over there, from day 1 of ownership until now.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/ares-build-thread.26187/

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Thanks for the vid. Good honest feedback. I’m really liking this setup.
Time to save. I was originally thinking Maximus with a custom canvas top.
Not to dis-similar to Army style M-37
3/4 ton truck look.
I think that those proper weather proofing solid panels is winning me over.
The gullwing doors are very useful as well.
Great looking rig TheHops !

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank for the vid. Good honest feedback. I’m really liking this setup.
Time to save. I was originally thinking Maximus with a custom canvas top.
Not to dis-similar to Army style M-37
3/4 ton truck look.
I think that proper weather proofing solid panels is winning me over.
The gullwing doors are very useful as well.
Great looking rig TheHops !
Glad you enjoyed!

For me personally, this is the perfect setup. I put a lot of thought in to it. I too was originally looking at Maximus-3 products, but truthfully, their lack of responsiveness/interest regarding the bed rack system lost me. Shortly after, I stumbled upon the RSI threads, and the rest is history.

Thanks for the kind words! It's a work in progress. More to come over the next month prior to my planned shakedown trip out west.

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Of the HD caps, this one is definitely the best looking one. Looks like the finish matches the black hard top very well.
I asked RSI a while back if they’d be able to ship a cap with the commercial door/cabinet on one side and glass on the other, but they said no.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
I'm not a topper guy, but man, that cap is sharp!

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Of the HD caps, this one is definitely the best looking one. Looks like the finish matches the black hard top very well.
I asked RSI a while back if they’d be able to ship a cap with the commercial door/cabinet on one side and glass on the other, but they said no.
Agreed! The paint matches well. Someday, way down the road, I'd like to get the hard top, cap, and fenders all line-x'd...but that's not even remotely a priority right now.

And, I find that interesting, since one of their big selling points is modularity. I wonder if the two caps are built to different specs, and parts can't be interchanged?

I'm not a topper guy, but man, that cap is sharp!
Thanks! I definitely dig it.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I wonder if the two caps are built to different specs, and parts can't be interchanged?
That’s kind of what I was aiming for- security of a cabinet and metal door for whatever needs to be kept safe on one side, nice glass win-door with slider for the dog(s)on the other. Seems like their commercial and personal use caps should have the same joint dimensions.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That’s kind of what I was aiming for- security of a cabinet and metal door for whatever needs to be kept safe on one side, nice glass win-door with slider for the dog(s)on the other. Seems like their commercial and personal use caps should have the same joint dimensions.
Truthfully, if they were both available at the same time, I likely would have gone with the commercial for myself. The Gladiator commercial cap is slated for January 2021, according to their site, as of the time of this posting. The commercial will be about $500 less as well (not sure what all options or paint that includes), I believe, so that's a bonus.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Side note: New video is up for those that want to see what direction I'm taking the cap.

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Definitely liking this. :rock: Sorry but your going to have a “twin” up North.:LOL:
Mine wont happen till next year as
need to get the bank account healthy.
I’d prolly opt for the commercial one if/when available. Not sure if i need windows but obviously not the end of the world. I’d prolly place some aluminum or composite panels behind the glass for more privacy and protection if anything wayward happens when I’m hauling something bulky. Nice work mate. Will be following.
Have fun! & Enjoy.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely liking this. :rock: Sorry but your going to have a “twin” up North.:LOL:
Mine wont happen till next year as
need to get the bank account healthy.
I’d prolly opt for the commercial one if/when available. Not sure if i need windows but obviously not the end of the world. I’d prolly place some aluminum or composite panels behind the glass for more privacy and protection if anything wayward happens when I’m hauling something bulky. Nice work mate. Will be following.
Have fun! & Enjoy.
Haha, no worries on that.

For what it's worth, the tint on the windows is quite dark, so it makes it very hard to see inside unless someone is actually right up on it.

Appreciate the kind words. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
After about three and a half months of waiting for them to launch the product, my RSI Smartcap EVO finally arrived!

I'm blown away by the quality, and I'm glad that I waited for this one instead of settling for a different option. This checks every box that I had, and I can't wait to get my racks and tent mounted up so that I can take it out.

Check out the video below on my fledgling channel for a walkaround and my impressions. Let me know here or on my build thread if you have any questions.

Nice video! I got the Alu-Cab, but its always nice to compare stuff. I agree the auto open is kind of an annoying feature. We paid good money for our tops, we want them to be flawless, don't worry, my Alu-Cab's handles/locks freeze up whenever there are dropping temps. Seem to be fine once its below 32 and stays below. I bet none of the tops are perfect. Glad to see an RSI on a jt now, looks good.

Advguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel, '19 Volvo XC40
Occupation
Entrepreneur
After about three and a half months of waiting for them to launch the product, my RSI Smartcap EVO finally arrived!

I'm blown away by the quality, and I'm glad that I waited for this one instead of settling for a different option. This checks every box that I had, and I can't wait to get my racks and tent mounted up so that I can take it out.

Check out the video below on my fledgling channel for a walkaround and my impressions. Let me know here or on my build thread if you have any questions.

Nice cap! Good walk around! Does the sliding window have a screen option?
Sponsored