TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
After about three and a half months of waiting for them to launch the product, my RSI Smartcap EVO finally arrived!

I'm blown away by the quality, and I'm glad that I waited for this one instead of settling for a different option. This checks every box that I had, and I can't wait to get my racks and tent mounted up so that I can take it out.

Check out the video below on my fledgling channel for a walkaround and my impressions. Let me know here or on my build thread if you have any questions.

Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
After about three and a half months of waiting for them to launch the product, my RSI Smartcap EVO finally arrived!

I'm blown away by the quality, and I'm glad that I waited for this one instead of settling for a different option. This checks every box that I had, and I can't wait to get my racks and tent mounted up so that I can take it out.

Check out the video below on my fledgling channel for a walkaround and my impressions. Let me know here or on my build thread if you have any questions.

Thanks for posting! I’ve been tossing around this one, the RLD, and the AluCab. Great to see your review!

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats! Best looking cap for the gladiator in my opinion by far.
Thanks! And I agree. It was a long wait, but for me personally, it turned out to be well worth it.

Thanks for posting! I’ve been tossing around this one, the RLD, and the AluCab. Great to see your review!
From a functional standpoint, I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of them. The AluCab is the lightest, and the RLD has the highest weight capacity, both of which are one solid piece. The RSI comes in pieces, which can be a pro or a con (for resale or storage, for example), and has superior modularity, while slotting in the middle for weight capacity. Aesthetically speaking, I personally think that the RSI takes the cake, which admittedly was a big deciding factor for me. I'm all about function before form, but when the piece drastically transforms what the rig is going to look like, I had to take form in to consideration as well, and the RSI checked all of the boxes. Despite taking a leap after having read a handful of negative impressions on other RSI caps for different models (leaking, gaps, etc), I've gone over mine pretty in depth and can't find any issues. Either those issues were isolated and were caused by assembly error, or RSI has really stepped their game up in recent months. Either way, I'm very pleased. We'll see if that's the overall consensus as more JT owners get their hands on the product.

Great video, thanks for the walk around.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm fairly new to the whole content creation thing. Glad you enjoyed!

Sponsored

Skullivan

First Name
Skylar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
GFC Engineer
Looks good but I'm waiting for GFC to release their topper. Will be made in USA too!

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good but I'm waiting for GFC to release their topper. Will be made in USA too!
I like the functionality of the GFC, and I've heard nothing but great things about them, but in my eyes they fall victim to the same aesthetic issues that the AluCab does--they're more "universal" in design. They're very boxy, and don't complement the lines of the vehicle at all. If the "boxiness" appeals to you, then they are a fantastic option. I think GFC is top of the line as far as features.

Again, just my opinion, but to me personally, as of right now, RSI is the only one that checks all of the boxes as far as both form and function.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
For any of you interested in following along on developments beyond the initial review/impressions:

Frontrunner rack is up and running on my SmartCap. Fitment is perfect.

Be advised that the RSI channels are narrower than other manufacturers. Frontrunner makes RSI specific brackets for the mounting feet that aren't available on their site, so be sure to call or chat with them if any of you plan on going a similar route. I also went with the tall foot kit, to provide clearance for the RSI vent and Frontrunner wind fairing.

Up next is mounting my RTT brackets and test fitting the ikamper. I have a plan in place for the roof rack lighting, but I likely won't execute that until the front roof rack is on as well.

20201126_093320-jpg.jpg

20201126_093329-jpg.jpg

20201126_093340-jpg.jpg

20201126_093355-jpg.jpg

20201126_093445-jpg.jpg

20201126_093454-jpg.jpg

20201126_093320-jpg.jpg

20201126_093329-jpg.jpg

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Do you need a rack for an RTT with this cap? Couldn’t you mount it directly to the channels on the cap?

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Do you need a rack for an RTT with this cap? Couldn’t you mount it directly to the channels on the cap?
Unless your RTT mounting channels were the exact width of the cap's you would need, at the very least, some type of crossbars.

Personally, I'll also have lighting, and eventually an awning mounted to the rack as well, so it was necessary for me. I also like the versatility of a rack, so I can load it down with whatever I want when the tent is not in place.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Unless your RTT mounting channels were the exact width of the cap's you would need, at the very least, some type of crossbars.

Personally, I'll also have lighting, and eventually an awning mounted to the rack as well, so it was necessary for me. I also like the versatility of a rack, so I can load it down with whatever I want when the tent is not in place.
Makes sense. Lights and awning definitely need a mounting point.

Blackhawk

First Name
Devan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
Thanks for the photos. I have a cap on order and am shopping for a rack right now. Could you please share the dimensions of your Front Runner? Is it 53.5" x 53"?

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the photos. I have a cap on order and am shopping for a rack right now. Could you please share the dimensions of your Front Runner? Is it 53.5" x 53"?
I went with their 1358mm long x 1425mm wide rack based on manufacturer recommendation when I provided them the RSI roof and track dimensions.

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
Awesome review! And I believe you are the 1st on TY with the Gladiator. I am subscriber number 14! :)
Sponsored