Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Modern ECUs draw somewhere between 20-40A by themselves which is pretty crazy
Yeah, then the lights, the power through the trailer brake solenoids, the fans, the AC, the PS (EHPS) and more. It does get pretty crazy.
Sponsored

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I have had a ton of campers over the years and there are a few musts to make the fridge not be an issue and drain your batteries

do you have one or two batteries? are they 12v or (2) 6volts (that equals 12v).

you have to make sure you are getting it down to temp at home weather plugged in or off gas, usually takes 24hrs to do this. If you put a bunch of warm food in right before you leave, thats bad and its going to take a while to get it back down to temp. A couple blocks of ice in freezer help keep things cold if you have extra space to kill off.

The gas absorbtion system is fastest and we leave it on even when driving / towing. You will hear a few that debate this but I have had every type of camper from bumper pull, fifth wheel, pusher and I currently have a super C and never have us or anyone we know ever had a problem. The ones that have problems are the ones with only one battery and not understanding the limits of your power supply are based on the capacity of that battery. Even hooked to your truck you must always start with charged batteries, cold fridge, full propane etc... running slides and heaters drains the batteries quick if your not watching, again, you want to arrive with fully charged batteries or your screwed. Let the fridge run on gas, its way easier to carry a 2nd or 3rd tank if needed but the fridges really don't use much. (1) 5 gallon tank can last a week for fridge only no problem unless you leave the door open

my current set-up has 500 watts of solar, (4) AGM 6 volt batteries plus the (2) massive coach batteries that can bridge in if needed. I have my generator set to start if my batteries get to 12.0 volts when i'm dry camping as this unit has a house fridge that is 110v only so I have to run my inverter from the minute I leave my house until I return as we mostly dry camp. The solar does a pretty good job and only is an issue if we run the crap out of the heater when its super cold outside in late fall / early spring when its below freezing at night

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Get cozy with the Dog Doc. Their medical supplies ship with disposable freezer packs. Use them to fill any and all spaces left over after loading and a towel or blanket space filler also helps. Engel products are the best 12v units, IMO.

OP
OP
Rummie

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
20 JT, 15 JKU, 22 BMW 4, Challenger R/T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
I have had a ton of campers over the years and there are a few musts to make the fridge not be an issue and drain your batteries

do you have one or two batteries? are they 12v or (2) 6volts (that equals 12v).

you have to make sure you are getting it down to temp at home weather plugged in or off gas, usually takes 24hrs to do this. If you put a bunch of warm food in right before you leave, thats bad and its going to take a while to get it back down to temp. A couple blocks of ice in freezer help keep things cold if you have extra space to kill off.

The gas absorbtion system is fastest and we leave it on even when driving / towing. You will hear a few that debate this but I have had every type of camper from bumper pull, fifth wheel, pusher and I currently have a super C and never have us or anyone we know ever had a problem. The ones that have problems are the ones with only one battery and not understanding the limits of your power supply are based on the capacity of that battery. Even hooked to your truck you must always start with charged batteries, cold fridge, full propane etc... running slides and heaters drains the batteries quick if your not watching, again, you want to arrive with fully charged batteries or your screwed. Let the fridge run on gas, its way easier to carry a 2nd or 3rd tank if needed but the fridges really don't use much. (1) 5 gallon tank can last a week for fridge only no problem unless you leave the door open

my current set-up has 500 watts of solar, (4) AGM 6 volt batteries plus the (2) massive coach batteries that can bridge in if needed. I have my generator set to start if my batteries get to 12.0 volts when i'm dry camping as this unit has a house fridge that is 110v only so I have to run my inverter from the minute I leave my house until I return as we mostly dry camp. The solar does a pretty good job and only is an issue if we run the crap out of the heater when its super cold outside in late fall / early spring when its below freezing at night
Great info!

We have a small camper. It's an 18' teardrop, T@B 400 Boondock. It has two 6 volt AGM batteries, 1200 watt inverter, and 190 watt solar panel.

I have heard not to drive with propane on. Is that really a risk? That would solve the fridge problem if it's not anything to worry about.

We store it in the warehouse at my business so it's plugged in all the time. The fridge and food will be cold before we hit the road.

This is the camper, btw. We took it on one local trip behind the Wrangler before the Gladiator arrived. Brake controller will go in the Gladiator next week. Looking forward to taking it out.

Jeep Gladiator Large alternator in tow package question IMG_0932.JPG

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Many jurisdictions have laws that forbid towing with the gas on. I do not nor ever have. Every frost heave is an earthquake acting on every component. But you knew that, right?

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
We have a Hallmark Expedition truck camper that I haul around in my F-350 and go on some very long trips. We had the option of a 3 way or 2 way (110 & 12 volt) and opted for the 2 way fridge and we are very glad we did.
‘The fridge is much more efficient and the truck plug will easily keep up with it’s demands while we are driving. I’ve recently upgraded to 2, 100 amp Lithium Phosphate BattleBorn batteries to extend my capacity with the 2, 100 amp Renogy solar panels and it has been bullet proof. We rarely stay at developed campgrounds.
Jeep Gladiator Large alternator in tow package question 5EDFDC9B-E4FE-4A10-8D42-E15674DC31FC

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
We have a Hallmark Expedition truck camper that I haul around in my F-350 and go on some very long trips. We had the option of a 3 way or 2 way (110 & 12 volt) and opted for the 2 way fridge and we are very glad we did.
‘The fridge is much more efficient and the truck plug will easily keep up with it’s demands while we are driving. I’ve recently upgraded to 2, 100 amp Lithium Phosphate BattleBorn batteries to extend my capacity with the 2, 100 amp Renogy solar panels and it has been bullet proof. We rarely stay at developed campgrounds.
Jeep Gladiator Large alternator in tow package question 5EDFDC9B-E4FE-4A10-8D42-E15674DC31FC
Are the batteries Iron Phosphate or Ion type? I converted the 04 Guzzi and 07 Benelli to the Shorai LiFePo for safety reasons and use the dedicated balance charger.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
For me, I use a coach and the Jeep gets towed so the gladiator for me won’t need to tow or keep batteries charged up

Again, understanding the limits of your batteries, turning things off when not in use, the freezer packs as mentioned help a ton and are good for you travel cooler instead of ice. I bet with (2) 6 volts golf cart batteries in that trailer you would never worry again. The big 5th wheels and coaches are energy pigs so we are constantly monitoring things. The new 5 panel renergy set up I have is doing pretty good on keeping batteries charged without using the gen. They have a portable/ ground set up as well that works good for smaller trailers and you can set it in the sun if your under a tree canopy

coffee pots and microwave we always run the gen as they draw batteries down to much

DA0939B7-0B04-4C39-8DE3-CF8A9CC1D9AB.jpeg

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
You could always try one of these from the jt poqer source to the trailer.
Jeep Gladiator Large alternator in tow package question Screenshot_20201130-095422_Amazon Shoppin

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For me, I use a coach and the Jeep gets towed so the gladiator for me won’t need to tow or keep batteries charged up

Again, understanding the limits of your batteries, turning things off when not in use, the freezer packs as mentioned help a ton and are good for you travel cooler instead of ice. I bet with (2) 6 volts golf cart batteries in that trailer you would never worry again. The big 5th wheels and coaches are energy pigs so we are constantly monitoring things. The new 5 panel renergy set up I have is doing pretty good on keeping batteries charged without using the gen. They have a portable/ ground set up as well that works good for smaller trailers and you can set it in the sun if your under a tree canopy

coffee pots and microwave we always run the gen as they draw batteries down to much

Jeep Gladiator Large alternator in tow package question Screenshot_20201130-095422_Amazon Shoppin
It's been nailed pretty good here, but my take was always - use the fridge to maintian, not cool or freeze. Start out with it up to(or DOWN to) temp, put whatever ice and cold stuffr you want in it, let it run on full power, then use the battery to maintain the cold, not to cool things. Mine actually did make ice - albiet slowly, but it would cool. I always packed cold food, put ice packs in and used the battery and other inputs to maintain that cold, not to try to cool it from room temp.

I've seen a couple of really great posts here! Not just the battery types, but the means of maintaining them and more. Some real good info here I'd refer to myself if I ever did get myself another "camper" or even just setup the back of the truck to live in like I used to do.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I have heard not to drive with propane on. Is that really a risk?
There are a couple that come to mind.
1) It could blow out while traveling, possibly filling your trailer cargo area with fumes. Mine is behind louvers on the side of the trailer.
2) It could be a problem when pumping gas into your vehicle.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Many jurisdictions have laws that forbid towing with the gas on. I do not nor ever have. Every frost heave is an earthquake acting on every component. But you knew that, right?
I've seen camper and motor home FIRES along the interstate. NOT pretty. I think the idea about the ban with gas on while driving is the "What if" - you have gas to appliances and if there's an accident, it's like a house - you need to shut the utilities off first for risk of explosion, etc.
IF the gas is off, the only risk is the tank itself. With gas on, there's gas to appliances, not good in case of fire (electrical or due to someone hitting you, etc.)

I am not advocating either way, just pointing out the reasons. I can see the why of the rules some places have, having see the results of these things in accidents and fires.

OP
OP
Rummie

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
20 JT, 15 JKU, 22 BMW 4, Challenger R/T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
There are a couple that come to mind.
1) It could blow out while traveling, possibly filling your trailer cargo area with fumes. Mine is behind louvers on the side of the trailer.
2) It could be a problem when pumping gas into your vehicle.
I guess an open flame that close to a gas pump probably isn't a good idea....

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
are you leaving the 110v inverter on at all times and if so what all are you running off of it?
Sponsored