RSI Smartcap

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...
I went back and watched the videos they included. It’s like an anti vibration rubber spacer. Now that I see that HDPP is not the answer.
That is correct. We recommend some type of 9/16” (or slightly thicker) high-density rubber that will have a little bit of give to protect the D Rubber and lessen vibration.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
I am very interested in dust free as well. I was going to see how well the positive pressure vent works before attempting any major seal work around the tailgate area. Jeep has a LOT of gaps around the tailgate.
I sure hope the RSI representative that has been so active on this forum hasn't fallen sick, but it sure would be nice to get some proper pads sent out to address the seal problem. Or at least some feedback....
The Positive Pressure Air Vent has been tested in the harshest of African conditions and works very well. As for the mounting pads, we are trying to source a domestic supply while we await a parts shipment from South Africa. In the meantime, any dense rubber material that is approximately 1.5” square x 9/16” (or slightly thicker), mounted at the rear corners will work. It’s only purpose is to act as a spacer.

Last edited:

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
No worries! Thanks for the response, I know its a busy time of year. Looking forward to any information or thoughts you can provide!
I have pinged them a couple times in this thread with some questions/comments, no response at all. Up until now they have been very responsive, would be nice to get some answers and responses as people start getting these caps.

I have received my 1/2" pads and will be installing them probably this weekend. I am hoping the extra 1/16" won't really be needed in order to get the back tailgate and window to actually be able to open and close without using a lot of force and continuing to tear the seals.

I will be replacing all of the 10mm rubber pads included by RSI with these 1/2" pads and will report back on results once I get it done.

I also had some questions regarding the mounting rails on the top. It sounds like they may not be "industry standard" here in the US, so I am wanting to get some feedback on what size t-nut or other mounting hardware they recommend. I am having some mounting feet made to mount my crossbars onto the rails on top and I would love to know what hardware I will need to mount these feet to the rails on top of the Smartcap.
Once again, sorry for the delayed response. The Universal Roof Rails use an M8 stainless steel square weld nut that slides into the track. You can then use whatever length bolt you need to mount your gear. Note, ours are a bit larger as most manufacturers like Front Runner or Thule seem to use M6 hardware.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Square-Weld-Nuts/dp/B073SBF561/ref=sr_1_4?c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Weld+Nuts&qid=1608245184&refinements=p_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin:11434068011&s=industrial&sr=1-4&ts_id=307022011&th=1

Last edited:

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Thanks so much for the info! Currently I have some custom aluminum crossbars that I plan on using and mounting my hardshell rooftop tent to. Previously I had a bed rack that I just bolted the crossbars to - now with the Smartcap I will need feet to install into the rails on top so that I can mount the crossbars to those.

I am currently having the feet made but I will need to know what size/type of hardware to use to mount them into the rails. I'm hoping that RSI will get back to us with some specifics so that I can hopefully find what I need to mount these things.

I am also curious about what size hardware the pre-drilled holes in the ceiling inside are for - that info would be useful as well!
The interior roof-mounted rivnuts take an M8x20 bolt.

Last edited:

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
10/20?!?! im gonna assume distribution was thru Offroad Alliance and not through Keystone? Meanwhile still sitting over here waiting since 8/4... @RSI North America Inc is it me or is Offroad Alliance the only one getting units out to their customers??? Got an email from Keystone this week saying “it was a new sku number and had no idea on ETA, still awaiting shipment”
No, Offroad Alliance is a dealer, not our distributor. They have been very popular with customers on the forums.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Off-road Alliance uses Keystone as their distributor. As far as I’m aware, Keystone is handling ALL of the distribution in the USA. Just FYI.
That is correct. Off-road Alliance is a Keystone dealer, not our distributor.

Last edited:

JBahr

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Stingray Gray
Occupation
Sales
Installation took me 3 hrs and 20 mins by myself.
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap IMG_4203

Boxes were in great shape, all parts accounted for. Side panels connected to the roof rather easily. The connections for the front and rear are a pain in the ass by yourself working on the floor. Daddy needs a back rub... Got it all done and then freaked out a little when flipping it on my own, thought I rolled the gasket off, but I was just paranoid, all good.

I used an old bike lift bolted to the rafters to lift the topper and backed under it. A little sketchy, thought the bolts might pull or the rope might break. Spent very little time hanging!!!
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap IMG_4204

Gasket survived looping webbing through the side windows.
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap IMG_4205

Got dark before I could get pictures, I'll do a video walk around tomorrow. I did get a few extra 1/2" pads and 1/8" pads, and just placed a cut piece of the 1/8" pads with the 1/2" ones under the topper in the rear corners. Fitment is perfect, gasket seems to be fine with that clearance.

One problem I might have: I can see daylight under the front panel near the cab. I might have misread the instructions, edit... I did and put the extra foam on the topper not the bed lip. Whoops... I'll get that corrected tomorrow. Thanks for all the tips and advice, this thread has been very helpful.

For those that are still waiting, it's worth it! Trust me. This unit is as hyped!!!

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Cherokee Trailhawk; 20 Gladiator Rubicon
placed a cut piece of the 1/8" pads with the 1/2" ones under the topper in the rear corners
Gah! Why didn’t I think of that! Easy fix for this weekend.

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Jeep Gladiator
Installation took me 3 hrs and 20 mins by myself.

Boxes were in great shape, all parts accounted for. Side panels connected to the roof rather easily. The connections for the front and rear are a pain in the ass by yourself working on the floor. Daddy needs a back rub... Got it all done and then freaked out a little when flipping it on my own, thought I rolled the gasket off, but I was just paranoid, all good.

I used an old bike lift bolted to the rafters to lift the topper and backed under it. A little sketchy, thought the bolts might pull or the rope might break. Spent very little time hanging!!!

Gasket survived looping webbing through the side windows.

Got dark before I could get pictures, I'll do a video walk around tomorrow. I did get a few extra 1/2" pads and 1/8" pads, and just placed a cut piece of the 1/8" pads with the 1/2" ones under the topper in the rear corners. Fitment is perfect, gasket seems to be fine with that clearance.

One problem I might have: I can see daylight under the front panel near the cab. I might have misread the instructions, edit... I did and put the extra foam on the topper not the bed lip. Whoops... I'll get that corrected tomorrow. Thanks for all the tips and advice, this thread has been very helpful.

For those that are still waiting, it's worth it! Trust me. This unit is as hyped!!!
Where did you get the pads? Or what did you search?

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
Finally received my RSI smart-cap a couple of weeks ago. After shipping mishap and receiving one of the two boxes happy to report it’s much better than I expected. Just finished a road trip last week to -7 temperatures in Idaho and operated absolutely perfectly. For those of you that already have it, you’ll understand this has so many great features and attention to detail it has next to no leakage inside. I had a ARE shell on my 2020 gladiator. The constantly leaking of dust on my side windows and in my back window. The team at off-road alliance have been so amazing and I will be a lifelong customer of theirs based on how they handle this transaction and the customer service In trying to find the missing box. I am waiting on the kitchen and the drawers and then I’ll work on lighting and I’ll update you with some pictures.

30A8F82E-72BD-4698-8E0A-DA2A2CD489AE.jpeg

Sponsored

JBahr

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Stingray Gray
Occupation
Sales
Where did you get the pads? Or what did you search?
They shipped with the topper. The 1/8" pads are longer and prevent the clamp from moving and scratching the topper. I took the extra 1/8" and cut in half and place underneath with the 1/2" pad. Once I'm convinced this will work I'll super glue the 1/8" pad to the 1/2" that came with tape already affixed. interested in how much this will settle and if that affects gasket fitment.

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They shipped with the topper. The 1/8" pads are longer and prevent the clamp from moving and scratching the topper. I took the extra 1/8" and cut in half and place underneath with the 1/2" pad. Once I'm convinced this will work I'll super glue the 1/8" pad to the 1/2" that came with tape already affixed. interested in how much this will settle and if that affects gasket fitment.
That's pretty ingenuitive. And, there was enough surface area on the top to prevent scratching?

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Finally received my RSI smart-cap a couple of weeks ago. After shipping mishap and receiving one of the two boxes happy to report it’s much better than I expected. Just finished a road trip last week to -7 temperatures in Idaho and operated absolutely perfectly. For those of you that already have it, you’ll understand this has so many great features and attention to detail it has next to no leakage inside. I had a ARE shell on my 2020 gladiator. The constantly leaking of dust on my side windows and in my back window. The team at off-road alliance have been so amazing and I will be a lifelong customer of theirs based on how they handle this transaction and the customer service In trying to find the missing box. I am waiting on the kitchen and the drawers and then I’ll work on lighting and I’ll update you with some pictures.

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap 30A8F82E-72BD-4698-8E0A-DA2A2CD489AE
Hard top and cap line x paint matched? That looks killer!

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap 30A8F82E-72BD-4698-8E0A-DA2A2CD489AE
Nice Rig. What fender flares do you have? Is that the stock LED DLR/Turn signal?