Sponsored

Gladiator dual swing rear bumper prototype renderings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
JcrOffroad

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow - Firecracker Red
Perfect answers, thank you! Any chance you could give me the same measurement as pictured here in my reply for the Crusader sliders? I had your Crusader bumper on my JKUR and loved it.
The sliders vary from 3.5" to 4" down their length.
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Question on the light holes... what exactly are the dimensions of the opening and can we opt to have a bumper made without them? I want to mount some squadron lights I already have but my OCD wants them flush mount...

OP
OP
JcrOffroad

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Question on the light holes... what exactly are the dimensions of the opening and can we opt to have a bumper made without them? I want to mount some squadron lights I already have but my OCD wants them flush mount...
The light holes will most likely not work with flush mount lights unless you modify the bumper. We only offer it this way currently.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Unless you are prebuilding these and have them on the shelf, it should be easy to help a customer out and NOT cut holes. You could charge the same price while putting less labor/machine time into a delivered product. Seems to be an easy way to increase gross margin.

Heck, I'd pay more for it without holes since I'm guessing you'd need to tweak your laser/water cutter/CNN profile.

OP
OP
JcrOffroad

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Unless you are prebuilding these and have them on the shelf, it should be easy to help a customer out and NOT cut holes. You could charge the same price while putting less labor/machine time into a delivered product. Seems to be an easy way to increase gross margin.

Heck, I'd pay more for it without holes since I'm guessing you'd need to tweak your laser/water cutter/CNN profile.
That's not how our manufacturing process works, unfortunately. Parts and pieces for fabbed items are cut in batches, and that final product doesn't get assigned to a customer until it gets received on the floor in shipping and receiving. So anything custom like that would have to be followed through the process step by step, by hand. Streamlining manufacturing the way that we have unfortunately gets rid of the ability to make custom changes.

Sponsored

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
That's not how our manufacturing process works, unfortunately. Parts and pieces for fabbed items are cut in batches, and that final product doesn't get assigned to a customer until it gets received on the floor in shipping and receiving. So anything custom like that would have to be followed through the process step by step, by hand. Streamlining manufacturing the way that we have unfortunately gets rid of the ability to make custom changes.
Any possibility of making with aluminum...for those of us that are really weight conscious?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Any possibility of making with aluminum...for those of us that are really weight conscious?
Betting not because it replaces the hitch... though honestly, because it replaces the hitch, this bumper in steel is lighter than any aluminum + hitch combo I've found.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It could easily have a steel sub-structure for the hitch and aluminum outer.
This is becoming quite prevalent in the Toyota market. Especially for front bumpers.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
It could easily have a steel sub-structure for the hitch and aluminum outer.
This is becoming quite prevalent in the Toyota market. Especially for front bumpers.
No, it really can't. You can see the design here from their site and that's not something that can simply be converted to an aluminum shell - especially with swing-outs that will be upwards of 100# on the corners. What you're asking for is a completely custom design (that, don't get me wrong, I too would love to see) but custom bumpers are going to cost you 3x what something like this would be off the shelf.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, it really can't. You can see the design here from their site and that's not something that can simply be converted to an aluminum shell - especially with swing-outs that will be upwards of 100# on the corners. What you're asking for is a completely custom design (that, don't get me wrong, I too would love to see) but custom bumpers are going to cost you 3x what something like this would be off the shelf.
Lostwoods, I see where my iPhone shortened response lead to a miss understanding to what I intended. You are correct the current JCR design does not lend itself to being modified to an aluminum/steel hybrid design. I meant that a hybrid aluminum steel design could be done. The substructure for the hitch and and attachments would be steel. Then the out skin of aluminum could be bolted to that steel sub-structure.
It indeed would be major NRE prototyping and testing such a concept. Sadly, the weight savings and extra cost would not be worth it.

Especially with JCR current netted weight once the OEM hitch is removed. It is shocking how much that OME unit weighs.

Now would it be cool to have a swing out and full coverage bumper with hitch that actually nets a reduced weight...yes. But, the extra cost would garner less sales.

HA! of course it would still probably be cheaper the AEV's. :)

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
HA! of course it would still probably be cheaper the AEV's. :)
So would a bumper made of mithril or adamantium.

But I do agree, I'd love to see a company completely ditch the hitch even and build a straight high clearance bumper at minimal weight... You could easily get it to be a net weight loss which IMO would be outstanding.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Nice looking bumper. Hopefully the swingouts can be quick release in and out

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ford bronco, 2020 jeep gladiator overland
Occupation
Retired C-141/C-130 FE. now, 9th grade math instr
at this moment, i have been reading the comments on the rear bumper and this weekend i am down in Gilbert, AZ and yesterday my friend and i went to do Elvis trail and box canyon trail near Florence, AZ and if it was not for the steel bumper and side pieces, the damage would be a lot worse. the plastic would not make it and i am not sure if an aluminum bumper would not have made it. but i have been known to be wrong. the pictures are below because pictures tell the tale.

20201227_080033[1].jpg

20201227_080049[1].jpg

20201227_080155[1].jpg

AR8421

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Wow. I have JCR stuff on my JL and I've been really happy with how well it holds up to serious bashing. It is some really tough stuff that I would absolutely recommend. But, what I see in those photo's is completely ridiculous, and unacceptable. I am surprised and disappointed they put something out that would collapse and allow this sort of damage. I was going to buy this bumper for my Gladiator Rubicon but, not a chance I'd buy it after seeing this. Too bad, really.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do the wings not bolt to the rear main bumper? If they are, seeing the separation in this picture, could be cured with a tighter tolerance to the bolt size. If they aren't, they should be.

If I get this bumper, I'd buy it bare anyways, and just weld the three pieces together.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator dual swing rear bumper prototype renderings. 1609630547524
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.