Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Note - this REQUIRES you have the forward facing module up center of the windshield, in the area of the inside rear view mirror. This contains the DASM. It's the radar and camera that handles ACC, Forward Collision Warning, etc.
If you do not have that black box up there, you cannot enable auto high beams.

You will need the security bypass cable and an OBD adapter such as the OBDLink MX+ or vGate iCar Pro, etc. and software such as jscan or AlfaOBD.
It appears access to the necessary settings MAY exist in jscan, but I used AlfaOBD in this case (I have both and found a couple of the settings in jscan but cannot prove that it has everything needed.)

These are the necessary settings - (the first part of each line, prior to the colon : is the location of the item in AlfaOBD)
* VehConfig 1: Auto High beam- YES (this tells it to enable)
* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Module Location- IRCM (this tells it where the module is)
* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam On Threshold- 25 km/h (this is default and was already set in my case)
* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Off Threshold- 20 km/h (this is default and was already set in my case)
* CustSetMenu 1: Auto High Beam CSM Present- YES (this sets it in the radio settings screen under "Lights", adds the menu selection so you can turn it on or off. See picture of the menu below)

The settings involved are in the body module (BCM)

The pics below are of AlfaOBD which I used to set this up.

Jeep Gladiator Enabling auto high beam 20210110_112001

This pic shows adding the menu choice on the radio settings screen, Yes tells it this setting choice is present

Jeep Gladiator Enabling auto high beam 20210110_113058

If I recall the owner manual correctly, the headlight switch should be in auto position, and the TS stalk forward to high beams on. Flicking that lever again to change to low beams will trigger a "Automatic High Beams Disabled" message, meaning that you turned it off.

Jeep Gladiator Enabling auto high beam 20210110_113848_HDR

This is what the "CustSetMenu 1: Auto High Beam CSM Present- YES" setting does - adds the Auto Dim High Beams menu choice. It was not there before that setting ->

Jeep Gladiator Enabling auto high beam 20210111_103653_HDR

Special thanks to member Jimmy07 who furnished much of the settings details
Sponsored

Last edited:

pbrevo64

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Project Manager
Bravo! Good find, I will have to add this to my list. A loaner durango I drove a few months back had the auto high beams, and once I got used to it switching I really liked that feature.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Does auto highbeam just set low beam automatically when approaching headlights are detected, or does it also reset to high beam after the approaching vehicle has passed?

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Does auto highbeam just set low beam automatically when approaching headlights are detected, or does it also reset to high beam after the approaching vehicle has passed?
You start out in high beam to enable the function.
When it detects approaching vehicle, it changes to low beam, then back up to high after it's passed.

Jeep Gladiator Enabling auto high beam auto-high-beam

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Good job ShadowsPapa 👍

Just why wasn't the software already enabled on the 2018 JL and the 2020 JT at release that had the "Adaptive Cruise Control/Fwd Collision Warning Plus" while it was already enabled in other FCA vehicles at that time? We know the answer was to encourage future sales of later year model JLs and JTs. The same reasoning why the Sport S wasn't initially offered with LED Headlights and Proximity Keyless Entry options.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Good job ShadowsPapa 👍

Just why wasn't the software already enabled on the 2018 JL and the 2020 JT at release that had the "Adaptive Cruise Control/Fwd Collision Warning Plus" while it was already enabled in other FCA vehicles at that time? We know the answer was to encourage future sales of later year model JLs and JTs. The same reasoning why the Sport S wasn't initially offered with LED Headlights and Proximity Keyless Entry options.
I do find it interesting that apparently - I have not looked into this directly - but apparently, it was available as part of the active safety package later in the 2020 model year. If that is correct, it was available just a month or two after mine was built.
It's currently standard on the Grand Cherokee Limited if I recall correctly. My wife wanted it so I asked Spencer to make sure we got it and he said it was in there, no need to add it.

EDIT - it's part of this package -

Adaptive Cruise Control/Fwd Collision Warning Plus
$795
  • Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop
  • Advanced Brake-Assist
  • Automatic High-Beam Headlamp-Control
  • Full-Speed Forward-Collision Warning Plus

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to try and see if I can get this enabled. I have an early 2019 build Overland with the ACC/FCW.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to try and see if I can get this enabled. I have an early 2019 build Overland with the ACC/FCW.
Will be interesting to see how that turns out. The Overland was targeted to people wanting to take their truck on the roads and highways more than the others were (obvious by the tires) so I'd expect it to have the ability for every single safety and "luxury" item Jeep offered (except lane departure warning)

Squelch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi Gladiator, Energica Ribelle, Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I do find it interesting that apparently - I have not looked into this directly - but apparently, it was available as part of the active safety package later in the 2020 model year. If that is correct, it was available just a month or two after mine was built.
It's currently standard on the Grand Cherokee Limited if I recall correctly. My wife wanted it so I asked Spencer to make sure we got it and he said it was in there, no need to add it.
Not sure which package it was a part of (I have most of them) but my Gladiator built around May/June 2020 has auto high beams enabled.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure which package it was a part of (I have most of them) but my Gladiator built around May/June 2020 has auto high beams enabled.
Yeah, I believe it was listed as part of the advance safety group starting sometime around December 2019 so I'd expect JTs with the safety group to have it (anything built in 2020 for example)
I was shocked when the JT didn't have it when I ordered as my son's Compass - 2 years OLDER, had it! A Compass, a vehicle that sold for half the price of a JT had it but a high-end JT Overland otherwise loaded didn't. Didn't make any sense to me.
For the Grand Cherokee Limited I believe it's standard.

Sponsored

Jdyowa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
Manager
I still don't see the high beams flickering off while driving. Doesn't appear to work very well

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have not had any opportunity to drive mine in the dark so have not tested actual operation yet.
HOWEVER - I have noted a number of people saying they've been in and enabled things and it still didn't work and they tried to figure out why - thus all the speculation "you need the trail cam" and other BS (trail cam has zip to do with it as it's on Jeeps that don't even have a trail cam such as a 2021 JT Overland)
So I still have to wonder if it's not enabled on those built in 2019 because there truly is something missing. Otherwise, why have the bits in the software but not sell it as a feature, then suddenly in December, it's part of the package?
And why hasn't anyone been able to enable this and have it work on 2019 built JTs if it's truly all there?
I still have to get mine out in the DARK and try it - will take a bit of a trip as around there there's no traffic after about 6pm when everyone is already home.

So - I don't KNOW if mine will actually FUNCTION, but everything software-wise is there and the indications are there.

MAYBE there's a difference in the BCM code or other code that was fixed in December and they said ok, it's ready now, we can sell it.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
We ordered a 2021 JLU 80th with the Advanced Safety Group which is supposed to have the auto-dim high beam feature as it is part of the Advanced Safety Group. When the vehicle was delivered the sticker does not show the option and the option is not in the radio settings. I am working with JeepWave as to why it was delivered without the option enabled and how to get it enabled.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We ordered a 2021 JLU 80th with the Advanced Safety Group which is supposed to have the auto-dim high beam feature as it is part of the Advanced Safety Group. When the vehicle was delivered the sticker does not show the option and the option is not in the radio settings. I am working with JeepWave as to why it was delivered without the option enabled and how to get it enabled.
I'll want to see how this one comes out! It's not even under lights in the settings?
MAYBE they had trouble with it again and left it out?

I need to test mine tonight to see if it truly works. IF it does, great........ but if it does not, I'll just have proven that so far no one has been able to make it work if it wasn't already there.

I looked on the Jeep build your own site and it's listed as being part of this group which makes sense:

$795
  • Advanced Brake-Assist

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
I'll want to see how this one comes out! It's not even under lights in the settings?
MAYBE they had trouble with it again and left it out?

I need to test mine tonight to see if it truly works. IF it does, great........ but if it does not, I'll just have proven that so far no one has been able to make it work if it wasn't already there.

I looked on the Jeep build your own site and it's listed as being part of this group which makes sense:

$795
  • Advanced Brake-Assist
There are no settings for auto-dim under the Lights settings, it is listed as part of that group but some are not getting it. I found a 2021 JTR Diesel with that package and it shows as part of the package on the sticker where hers does not.
Sponsored