First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Business Owner
Interesting, seems like an issue with the newer iPhones, as I've got a 12 and it does the same exact thing.
I had an iPhone X when I picked my jeep up at the dealer in OCT 2020.. it did it with that phone.. and now with my 12pro. No issues with either phone in my GM vehicles with Apple Carplay.. both of those phones work no problem In those vehicles.
Sponsored

Fla2smoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2018 GX460
Apple changed the charging system starting with the 8 for wireless charging. I wonder if the JL/JLU people have had similar issues with center console CarPlay connectivity. There is a lot of handshaking that takes place between the device and UConnect to establish and maintain the CarPlay connection. I was at first curious to see if my phone completely disconnected (No longer charging) or if it was just CarPlay. My device does not stop charging when the it drops the connection. So I dont believe it is a voltage issue but then again I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. I dont really know the inner workings of UConnect and CarPlay to say why the longer run to the center console port is an issue and not the dash based ports.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Good Morning All,
Iā€˜m the owner of a 2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon with the 8.4ā€ - Display. I also have this issue... and its been going on since the drive home from the dealer on day 1. I would say my issue is identical to all the others described above... IPhone connected to the USB within the center console....Apple CarPlay drops out randomly. Ive tried everything.... Apple lighting cables... aftermarket cables. I even went as far as purchasing a new phone... went from IPhone X to IPhone 12pro... same issue.. both phones. I also have multiple GM vehicles that support apple CarPlay from the factory.. no issues with those vehicles. Bottom line.... its the JEEP....and Itā€™s totally frustrating. I was on an call yesterday and the apple car play dropped out every 6 - 8 minutes over and over again. You need to reach in the center console, and with one hand unplug the phone and plug in again to get the Apple CarPlay back.
Just to be clear... I do not have my phone paired to my 2021 JTR or any of my GM vehicles.. I strictly use plug in Apple CarPlay. The pattern is as follows...... plug in phone to USB port in center console... close the console and apple CarPlay is Immediately selectable... I use the hands free button and select a playlist.. it plays..... then randomly.. I notice the timer on the song progress stops... then shortly thereafter the music stops... screen holds frozen on apple CarPlay for a few seconds.. then the screen goes back to the black screen prompting me to pair a phone. This scenario happens either listening to music or while on a call.. .each time after the jeep drops apple CarPlay.. either the music or phone call is still active on the actual phone while sitting in the console.. I either to the one handed re-plug or take the phone out and continue the call on my ear. Itā€™s not the phone. or the cable thats the issue... again.. its the JEEP.
Iā€™m due for my first service in a few weeks.. Iā€™ll mention it to the dealer ( who is fantastic ).. but Iā€™m 100% sure they will have no solution or just tell me to plug it in somewhere else... which is not acceptable. I love the fact that my phone can be neatly put in the console plugged in and out of sight. Thats what the port is there for and it should work properly. I just want to enjoy the music and cruise in the jeep..... drama free
I have a 2021 JT Willys with the 8.4ā€œ display. Was using an iPhone 7+ and CarPlay with no issues from the USB in the center console. Last week I upgraded to an iPhone 12 and now have the same disconnect issues as everyone else. Both phones on the same IOS version. When CarPlay disconnects does everyoneā€™s phone still show charging? Mine does. CarPlay works perfectly from the dash USB plugs
Sorry to hear of these concerns. If you'd like additional assistance having it resolved, please send our team a private message or call the Uconnect Team at 1-877-855-8400.

Kate
Jeep Cares

GreyGladiator

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC70; XC90; F150; HD Dyna Glide; 2021 Mojave (ordered)
Occupation
Retired Navy
Greetings all,

I am in the same situation as several of the people above who have an iPhone 12. I have a 2021 Mojave with 8.4 inch display that I bought in September. I have an Apple lightning cord that I have used in the center console USB and the front panel USB port.

From the center console, the CarPlay drops the connection and reverts to Bluetooth pairing between 8 and 12 minutes after the phone is plugged into the cable. Using the front panel connection, I have never had the CarPlay connection drop. We experience the same problem if my wife's iPhone 12 is used.

We switched to the iPhone 12s in late December, and that is when the problem with the center console connection began. Between September and December I had an iPhone X and used the same cable in the center console and never had a problem. Unfortunately, the offspring with older phones are grown and departed after the holidays, so I can't troubleshoot with an older phone. @JeepCares - there are too many owners experiencing the same problem with the same type of phone from the same USB port for this not to be a problem with the cable or the receptacle.

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
New owner of 2021 Sport S with 8.4 stereo and iPhone 12 Pro checking in.
Randomly locks up then crashes. Have to unplug and plug back in.

anyone have any new ideas for a fix?

Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Nope, no fixes.

The problem is the cable and connector in the center console. That said, they refuse to fix it.

They closed my Jeep Cares ticket without fixing a damn thing. Exchanged emails back and forth with a tech. He confirmed the problem is a hardware issue with that cable and closed the ticket!

They have no intention of fixing the problem!

@JeepCares you are a sham! ID the problem and fix nothing!

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Nope, no fixes.

The problem is the cable and connector in the center console. That said, they refuse to fix it.

They closed my Jeep Cares ticket without fixing a damn thing. Exchanged emails back and forth with a tech. He confirmed the problem is a hardware issue with that cable and closed the ticket!

They have no intention of fixing the problem!

@JeepCares you are a sham! ID the problem and fix nothing!

Hello,

I understand your frustration with the USB port in your middle console. However, due to a specification from Apple, CarPlay is no longer able to be used from the console or rear USB ports. This change was made from software application level IR22.5 and is applied to any higher software levels.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but please understand that we do hear your concerns.

Thank you,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

Ellbee

First Name
Ellbee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland, 2004 Jeep LJ, 2018 GMC Sierra
Occupation
Retired Turbine Technologist
Hello,

I understand your frustration with the USB port in your middle console. However, due to a specification from Apple, CarPlay is no longer able to be used from the console or rear USB ports. This change was made from software application level IR22.5 and is applied to any higher software levels.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but please understand that we do hear your concerns.

Thank you,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
If I am not mistaken, the Gladiator was sold to me as being Apple CarPlay compatible. Are you saying it is not?

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
CarPlay and Android Auto are extremely finicky. I had an issue in my 2020 Gladiator where the USB port in the center console wouldn't work, but USB C to USB C from the dash connections would work fine.

New cable solved the problem and I understand that isn't the issue here. As I was reading through the thread, it sounds as though older iPhones aren't impacted and newer phones are. One of the things that changed in the newer phones is Fast Charging or Optimized Charging.

Have any of you tried turning off Optimized Charging and using the USB port in the console to see if the issue persists?

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Hello,

Thank you,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Hey Courtney, Thanks for the info here.

That IR22.5 appears to be some kind of code level. Are you able to tell us when that code level was released? Also are you able to point to the Apple specification/documentation? (Totally unrelated ask are the uConnect software change logs published anywhere? I'd love to see 'new feature' and changes as they get installed.)

If that code release has been out some time and my truck has it, then I'd infer that CarPlay isn't disabled on that port - it just has some odd issue that makes it not officially supported and thus not fixable.

My CarPlay from the console port has gotten much better since iOS 14.4.1, and I understand that Apple may have changed some kind of requirement that isn't easily changeable/fixable in the JT console USB port.

If you could point me to the specification from Apple we may be able to find an aftermarket swap or put in an enhancement/bug request in on Apple's side.

Really appreciate your presence on this forum! Thank you

Sponsored

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Just tried the center console port with my iPhone 12 on iOS 14.4.1, and it disconnected after a few minutes. Definitely curious to hear about what specification is being referred to and why it is incompatible at the software level for one port, but not the other?

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
Just tried the center console port with my iPhone 12 on iOS 14.4.1, and it disconnected after a few minutes. Definitely curious to hear about what specification is being referred to and why it is incompatible at the software level for one port, but not the other?
Did you try switching off Optimized Charging?

ARCH3R

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Tahoe, 2021 JT Overland (ordered 4/1/2021)
Occupation
Logistics Coordinator
This is probably a really far out idea, but hear me out. My aftermarket double-din CarPlay head unit has the usb inputs in the back. What if you were to open up the Uconnect from the dash and plug in your own cord from an input and run the cord out somewhere "convenient"?

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
That might work, I may need to see if that is possible
Sponsored