2021 Apple carplay issues?

zach471

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
This is 100% an issue with the USB port in the center console. My CarPlay2Air works flawlessly in the dash port, and always cuts off after a few minutes in the console. Only wired CarPlay seems to work in the center.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CCOlotti

CCOlotti

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Eco Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I did see there was a SW update have not loaded it yet and I am not sure it will fix anything. For the record even wired carplay fails on the center console so nothing works regardless of cable either, that has been the gripe all along.

arsy51

First Name
arsy51
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Overland - Hydro Blue; '02 Honda RC51 SP2
Vehicle Showcase
This is 100% an issue with the USB port in the center console. My CarPlay2Air works flawlessly in the dash port, and always cuts off after a few minutes in the console. Only wired CarPlay seems to work in the center.
Agreed. For the past few weeks, I had been using the USB in the dash without any issues. I tried using the USB for CarPlay in the center console, and CarPlay would work for a few minutes, and then just disconnect. Tried it about a dozen times, same result every time (sometimes I'd be able to use CarPlay in the center console for 30 minutes, but most of the time, the connection would die within 10 minutes).

Went back to USB in dash and CarPlay has zero issues.

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
My JT did take updates last week to uConnect. It popped up as I parked and I had to approve it. The car had to stay in park and off.

when I started the next day it told me update complete but the only info on changes was “improvements”.

Gundler

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Healthcare, Business Development
Damn...I guess I am part of the Carplay doesn't work for me club. Went from a 10XS Max to a 12...connected via the center console, and now it disconnects after about 30 seconds. Really damn annoying.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CCOlotti

CCOlotti

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn...I guess I am part of the Carplay doesn't work for me club. Went from a 10XS Max to a 12...connected via the center console, and now it disconnects after about 30 seconds. Really damn annoying.
Yep and dealers have no answer to it...

arsy51

First Name
arsy51
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I removed my USB cable from the center console so I'm no longer tempted as using the failed CarPlay there, and only hook-up to the dash's USB. Zero failures since I started doing that.

OP
OP
CCOlotti

CCOlotti

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I removed my USB cable from the center console so I'm no longer tempted as using the failed CarPlay there, and only hook-up to the dash's USB. Zero failures since I started doing that.
As a 25 year IT person it makes ZERO sense to me why a USB port in the dash would work and the console would not OTHER than the cable to the console appears to be an 'Extension' or hub connection where the dash is more direct....outside of that though it's USB....

arsy51

First Name
arsy51
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As a 25 year IT person it makes ZERO sense to me why a USB port in the dash would work and the console would not OTHER than the cable to the console appears to be an 'Extension' or hub connection where the dash is more direct....outside of that though it's USB....
As another 25-year IT person, I would have to concur with your assessment :)

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
I have an iPhone 11 max and the 7” Uconnect in my 2021 Gladiator. I use a wireless CarPlay dongle plugged into the center console and have no problems. Is this an issue with the 8.4 or possibly the iPhone 12? My only complaint is that CarPlay doesn’t fill the full screen.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CCOlotti

CCOlotti

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have an iPhone 11 max and the 7” Uconnect in my 2021 Gladiator. I use a wireless CarPlay dongle plugged into the center console and have no problems. Is this an issue with the 8.4 or possibly the iPhone 12? My only complaint is that CarPlay doesn’t fill the full screen.
Most accounts of the issue are the 8.4" for sure, the model phone should mean less than the iOS/Carplay version....ultimately that's hard to tell. What we know is most issues are 8.4" with newer phones/iOS, but this is what QA is supposed to be for. Jeep/UConnect should be literally testing every supported phone model/iOS version....but this is a Minimum Viable Product world now...which means minimal (if any) testing/QA

OP
OP
CCOlotti

CCOlotti

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As another 25-year IT person, I would have to concur with your assessment :)
When I looked at the connections it appears one cable goes from the dash module up to the radio (the sort of 'Direct' connection) for the dash ports. The other cable goes back to the console which means there is a USB 'Hub' in play there, but seriously....it's freaking USB...it has had be baffled from a technical perspective other than the USB hub part since I bought it.

El_Zorro

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I am using an old iphone7, no SIM, just wifi, iOS 14.1...works fine using console port. At least Pandora and Waze work just fine.

Haley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 1981 CJ8
Occupation
Landscaping
Have not read the whole thread. Have you guys forgotten your old phone in the head unit settings?

Your old phone still works? Same cable for both phones?

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
Not the same as OP's issue, as I have the standard 7" head unit, but I will provide my experience over the last 8 months averaging probably 1.5 times used a day (I don't even charge my phone at night, just to give you an idea). I have an iPhone 11 and have experienced issues over multiple versions of iOS
One thing I made sure not to do, keep bluetooth disconnected from the head unit.
The times I've had issues, I disconnected my phone, closed all applications (swiping up for iPhone), reconnect and things seem to work just fine - though it takes a tad longer to 'reconnect'
Hopefully this helps anyone with issues as when I first experienced issues I was blaming the unit. I'm not convinced it's 100% Apple, but this seems to work for me reliably when I have issues.
Sponsored