2021 Apple carplay issues?

XJamesX

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 JT Mojave, ‘20 Jeep JL
My center console and my dash port don’t work for more than 5 mins before it cuts out and reconnects 10 seconds later on an iPhone 12plus Max. It then repeats the disconnecting every few minutes for however long I drive.
I ended up buying a $100 wireless CarPlay plug-in device and that eliminated the CarPlay disconnecting my phone, but it takes longer to initially connect and cost more money than I wanted to spend after purchasing a 2021 Jeep for $44k.
While I LOVE my Gladiator, I am quite disappointed in Jeep not taking care of this through a recall or whatever route they can.
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Mine (2020) hasn’t had any issues in the 4 months I’ve owned it including the IOS 15 update. I’m using the cable that came with my iPhone 11. I’d like to try a wireless adapter if anyone has any suggestions.
I use a CarlinKit...

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B08HQ62T61

And I've been pretty happy with it. It will cut out if you get in an area with a bunch of 2.5GHz radiation.
The main issue I've had is the center console USB port actually cutting out: the light around the socket will start blinking, and you just have to wait it out, and it'll start working again.
I've been in to the dealer, and was told there's a Q2 software update for the Uconnect, but it isn't available yet...

Kevin

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I’ve learned mine mostly works fine unless I’m trying to use it on a call or voice to text. Those were a 50-50 shot it would work through it.

iOS 15 seems to have made it worse than 50-50 so far

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
I haven’t really had any major issues with my 21 JTW, other than it’s very annoying that CarPlay doesn’t fill the full screen on my 7” unit, but I digress. I use a wireless dongle connected in the center console that works very well with few connection/glitching issues. However, my iPhone 13 Pro Max arrives Monday. Currently using an iPhone 11 Pro Max. I’ll report back if any issues arise with the new phone.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Well this is a disconcerting read

Sponsored

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Crime fighter.
Yep same as everyone else here. It’s crap to say the least with no TSB or fix at all
Been using the center console port on my 80AE since purchase last November and have never had a single problem.
Using XS Max with iOS 14.3.
Have 13 Pro Max coming soon, so I guess I’ll find out if it’s a phone thing, an iOS version thing, or a hub thing.

StrainedSky

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys 2021
Occupation
IT
Been using the center console port on my 80AE since purchase last November and have never had a single problem.
Using XS Max with iOS 14.3.
Have 13 Pro Max coming soon, so I guess I’ll find out if it’s a phone thing, an iOS version thing, or a hub thing.
Mine worked great with my 11 Pro Max, got a 13 Pro Friday and now it disconnects :( Must be a phone thing.

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Crime fighter.
Mine worked great with my 11 Pro Max, got a 13 Pro Friday and now it disconnects :( Must be a phone thing.
My 13 Pro Max arrived Thursday and thus far not a single issue. Not that I’m complaining but it sure is odd how it effects some and not others.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
My 13 Pro Max arrived Thursday and thus far not a single issue. Not that I’m complaining but it sure is odd how it effects some and not others.
Since they refuse to actually check anything, this could simply be a loose connector under the center console or at the back of the radio, but Jeep has refused to check anything other than a test drive and saying that yes, it doesn't work.

Zero physical checks.

Nope nada, an absolutely useless warranty!

@JeepCares spent hours talking to me about checking settings and testing versions and software. They have never actually checked a single thing physically!

We know this is high resistance connection, but they won't actually check to see if it is something loose, or they just bought the cheapest crap on the market and so it has high resistance!

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Since they refuse to actually check anything, this could simply be a loose connector under the center console or at the back of the radio, but Jeep has refused to check anything other than a test drive and saying that yes, it doesn't work.

Zero physical checks.

Nope nada, an absolutely useless warranty!

@JeepCares spent hours talking to me about checking settings and testing versions and software. They have never actually checked a single thing physically!

We know this is high resistance connection, but they won't actually check to see if it is something loose, or they just bought the cheapest crap on the market and so it has high resistance!
Hey Steve,

We're so sorry to hear about your experience so far. We'd like to look into this so we can help turn your experience around! If you'd like our team's support, please don't hesitate to follow up with us via private message with your VIN and additional details.

Courtney
Jeep Cares

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
Hey Steve,

We're so sorry to hear about your experience so far. We'd like to look into this so we can help turn your experience around! If you'd like our team's support, please don't hesitate to follow up with us via private message with your VIN and additional details.

Courtney
Jeep Cares
@JeepCares We went this route. Your team opened a ticket, I messaged back and forth with one of your reps for several weeks. After several weeks of communication with him having me change settings, try different cables, etc... He told me the problem was a known issue, blamed the phone and closed the ticket.

It was a complete waste of my time, and to this day, no one has ever actually checked a damn thing physically on the vehicle. The dealer took it for a 5 min drive, and said duplicated, but blamed the heavy object inside the center console. They didn't remove it and try again, they just blamed something and closed the ticket.

I no longer go to that dealership! Between this incident and their inability to schedule service appointments for oil changes, I moved to a different dealership.

I am not willing to waste my time again for your team to tell me they shouldn't even have a ticket open. Sorry, just isn't worth my time. This isn't my first FCA product. I knew you guys have issues repairing problems. I also knew what I was getting into with quality.

If you guys really want to help, schedule an appointment with a dealer and actually have someone check the cable connections between the radio and the center console. Until there is an appointment agreed to for that, I have no intention to spend hours of my time to be told it is a known issue and a phone problem.

iPhone 11, 12, and 13 represent a large chunk of the mobile phone market. If your vehicle doesn't work with them, you need to stop advertising Apple Car Play!

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven’t really had any major issues with my 21 JTW, other than it’s very annoying that CarPlay doesn’t fill the full screen on my 7” unit, but I digress. I use a wireless dongle connected in the center console that works very well with few connection/glitching issues. However, my iPhone 13 Pro Max arrives Monday. Currently using an iPhone 11 Pro Max. I’ll report back if any issues arise with the new phone.
Seamless transition to the iPhone 13 Pro Max. Have had it a week, zero issues.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
Seamless transition to the iPhone 13 Pro Max. Have had it a week, zero issues.
So if it isn't the phone software, which is what they have been telling all of us with iPhone 11, 12, and 13, then it is a hardware issue and they need to figure it out.

I am happy for you that yours works, but that doesn't invalidate that for the vast majority of us with newer iPhones it doesn't.

We have jumped through hoops to help them troubleshoot only to have them point the blame at the phones. You are proving the point, it isn't the phones, it is the individual trucks and either an assembly error, or a manufacturing error!

Yet still no help from Jeep. @JeepCares will make you jump through hoops to help them troubleshoot, right up until it actually requires their dealers to get involved and physically check something. Then they close the ticket, point a finger at your phone and walk away!

My problems started the 2nd day I owned my truck and have continued unabated since! This feature has never worked for me from the center console for more than 5 minutes at a time.

To say I am tired of the runaround would be a major understatement!

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So if it isn't the phone software, which is what they have been telling all of us with iPhone 11, 12, and 13, then it is a hardware issue and they need to figure it out.

I am happy for you that yours works, but that doesn't invalidate that for the vast majority of us with newer iPhones it doesn't.

We have jumped through hoops to help them troubleshoot only to have them point the blame at the phones. You are proving the point, it isn't the phones, it is the individual trucks and either an assembly error, or a manufacturing error!

Yet still no help from Jeep. @JeepCares will make you jump through hoops to help them troubleshoot, right up until it actually requires their dealers to get involved and physically check something. Then they close the ticket, point a finger at your phone and walk away!

My problems started the 2nd day I owned my truck and have continued unabated since! This feature has never worked for me from the center console for more than 5 minutes at a time.

To say I am tired of the runaround would be a major understatement!
1633545799415.gif
Sponsored