Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturer
For those of you running an aftermarket bumper without front skid plate you may have noticed, as we have, that there are sections of exposed frame that protrude down past the bumper and almost looks like something is missing. We have been looking into a solution to fill this space and would like to get some feedback on this concept we are working on.

Here you can see an example of a JL with an aftermarket front bumper.
Jeep Gladiator LED Aux Light Integrated Front Skid Plate Concept led_oracle_jl_lightbar_1-

Here is the frame section (complete with threaded inserts) we are referring to.
Jeep Gladiator LED Aux Light Integrated Front Skid Plate Concept led_oracle_jl_lightbar_2-

The position of the light is optimal for lighting the road. For instance, a roof mounted (A-pillar mounted, hood mounted, etc) bar needs to point downward in order to light the road. Because it is pointing downward the projection distance is overall limited. The projection distance from this lower position is optimized so it can be a fixed mount which projects directly down the road for optimal distance and functionality.
Jeep Gladiator LED Aux Light Integrated Front Skid Plate Concept ORACLE_JL_LED_LightBar

Installation would be very easy for this design. Mounting involves simply bolting the skid plate into the existing threaded inserts in the frame. Wiring would also be simplified with a wiring harness designed for the Wrangler/ Gladiator which would be very close to a plug and play solution which would include a switch module and can work with the factory AUX switches.
Jeep Gladiator LED Aux Light Integrated Front Skid Plate Concept harness_example_2-

The LED light modules would be made up of individual 30W 2" LED emitters. These ORACLE exclusive LED emitters are extremely powerful and have a very nice blacked-out appearance. The benefit of individual modules opposed to a single light bar is:

1) Preserved more steel plate for increased durability and functionality of the skid plate.
2) Modules can be replaced if damage (rock chip, etc) were to happen opposed to a full light bar which would ruin the entire unit.

These 30W LED modules produce approximately 2,200Lm each giving the setup a total of 15,500 Lumens.

Here are renderings demonstrating what the LED Skid Plate would look like installed:
Jeep Gladiator LED Aux Light Integrated Front Skid Plate Concept ORACLE_JL_LED_LightBar_1

Jeep Gladiator LED Aux Light Integrated Front Skid Plate Concept ORACLE_JL_LED_LightBar_2

Jeep Gladiator LED Aux Light Integrated Front Skid Plate Concept ORACLE_JL_LED_LightBar_3

Pricing is not worked out just yet, we are still working on some of the details for the material cost.

Interested in your thoughts and comments!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
^^^Read: "Send more money to Oracle for another groupbuy for another lighting solution" 🤣🤣

But seriously, I like it. Would work great in rain/snow being low.
I'll be following this.

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@ORACLElights Hey, since you guys seem to always be searching for ideas (which usually turn out awesome), have you considered developing replacement mirrors (or at least the outer cover) with LEDs in them. Here's an example of mine, I installed a set of flush mounts lights into. They work awesome, and I have mine wired to my high beams, since I don't have the Aux switch package (yet).

IMG_20210326_180046641_HDR.jpg

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Would it be functional as a true skid plate, and work with the Rubicon sway bar disconnect motor (flipped or in the stock position)?

OP
OP
ORACLElights

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
@ORACLElights Hey, since you guys seem to always be searching for ideas (which usually turn out awesome), have you considered developing replacement mirrors (or at least the outer cover) with LEDs in them. Here's an example of mine, I installed a set of flush mounts lights into. They work awesome, and I have mine wired to my high beams, since I don't have the Aux switch package (yet).

IMG_20210326_180046641_HDR.jpg
Of course! We originated the mirror lights on the JK back in the day :)

We were going back and forth on the orientation of the LEDs which looked best on the JL & JT.

Jeep Gladiator LED Aux Light Integrated Front Skid Plate Concept JL_Mirror_comparison_4

We are about to restart this project so we will be making a new thread on this soon!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ORACLElights

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Would it be functional as a true skid plate, and work with the Rubicon sway bar disconnect motor (flipped or in the stock position)?
Yes it would be a true functional skid plate. As for the Rubicon sway bar disconnect, we just picked up a new Gladiator Rubicon for R&D so we will be checking into this soon.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link

Jeep Gladiator LED Aux Light Integrated Front Skid Plate Concept JL_Mirror_comparison_4
Good work.
Did you take the mirror apart, or just cut into the back? How much room is in there or how deep is it?

Sponsored

jjmstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE

CAn you give the part number/s for the products you used ?

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Good work.
Did you take the mirror apart, or just cut into the back? How much room is in there or how deep is it?
Both. The front facing cover just pops off (you can see the tabs if look in the gap behind the glass) exposing the framework for the mirror. I had to shave down some of the plastic webbing to clear the heat sinks on the lights after cutting the holes and mounting the lights. I ran the wires into the door panel, and tapped into the door handle ambient light. Inside the door jamb on the body side I cut the wire for the light, and ran an extension to the high beam wire on each side of the JT. That way I didn't have to make up another plug, and I just use the OEM door harness plug.

I absolutely love the added light, and it seems perfectly aimed, continuing the light beam spread across the shoulder of the road from one side to the other.

I'm gonna miss them when it gets warm enough to take the doors off, though...

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security

Oracle Designs

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oracledesignlab.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Industrial Designer
Made some updates for the skid plate lighting concept. During development, we have decided that the design will be compatible with both JT and JL Jeep models. From the previous model shown, we are now able to fit 8 lighting units instead of 7. Meaning more light output. In addition to the lights, we confirmed that we are going to use amber/yellow lighting. More details to come in the near future.

Jeep_Bar_Light_Rendering_1.jpg
Jeep_Bar_Light_Rendering_2.jpg
Jeep_Bar_Light_Rendering_3.jpg
Jeep_Bar_Light_Rendering_4.jpg
Sponsored