Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
So my dealer replaced my leaking rear window today. I went to pick it up at closing and the guy was not done yet. So I gave him my card and he called me when it was ready. By this time everyone in the service department was gone. It was in the detail shop and it was pretty dark in there. When I got home and took a look at it I noticed two chips in the hardtop. One small and one not so small. I will be calling the service department about it in the morning.

What do you think the chances are that they don't try screwing me over? I will say little to none:asshat:. What do you think would be a fair solution? A new hardtop, a patch job?

Jeep Gladiator Got New Rear Window and They Chipped My Top IMG_0074.JPG
Sponsored

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Man that's not good Troy, I hope the best for you on this. let us know how it progresses.

OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Well on closer inspection its way worst than I thought. My wife lady wanted to look at it so I pulled it out of the garage and into the light. I need a new top. They forked this one all up.

Jeep Gladiator Got New Rear Window and They Chipped My Top IMG_0079.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Got New Rear Window and They Chipped My Top IMG_0077.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Got New Rear Window and They Chipped My Top IMG_0078.JPG

Litfury

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Good gravy. Is this serious? All from a window install? I can’t even wrap my head around how you could unintentionally screw up this bad.

Sponsored

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Dealer replaced my steering wheel due to the tech putting a small nick in the leather.

Tell them you would like your top replaced. You didn't damage it. You don't want a repaired top. You want an undamaged top.

AXG1040

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave
I’ve worked in the auto insurance claims industry for over 20+ years. That is a hack job and sadly I have seen my fair share of this at shops trying to save a dime and farming the work out to the lowest cost glass company. He likely used a sawzall with a long demo blade. There are special blades and Gorilla Wire that will lessen the chance of damage. It also looks like he was heavy on sealant too. The bad news is that to correctly repair and paint that top the glass has to come out again. I’d push for a new top.

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator
Man, that sucks. Unfortunately, there are other threads on damages tops from rear window replacement.. I would push for a new top. Absolutely ridiculous. I feel for ya man.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Good gravy. Is this serious? All from a window install? I can’t even wrap my head around how you could unintentionally screw up this bad.
I can. I had the windshield replaced in my SX4 - I told them it was being restored and I wanted it installed as the factory would, and to be careful with the trim - it was rare.
I got it back, there was urethane everywhere, including on the interior trim parts, the stainless trim on the outside was all screwed up. They used blocks under the glass to hold it up from the bottom and instead of lining their blocks up to match the reliefs in the outer trim, they CUT the back of the trim to clear their blocks. They they used the wrong clips for the trim so - they GLUED the trim in with what looked like a whole tube of urethane. IT took me two full evenings to finally get the trim back off and all that shXX out of the windshield pinch weld area and put correct clips in. Then I had to find good trim to clean up, paint and put back on the car.
You should see how some glass shop put the rear glass in my Javelin - I still can't get all the urethane crap off the inside vinyl trim, they scratched the glass and it's not even supposed to be put in with urethane. It's a butyl install.

Glass shops are all about insurance jobs - quickly replace the glass in a new vehicle and collect the insurance money. They don't give a rip.

So, for my 70, I found sources for the butyl tape, the primer, bought the suction cup handles and asked a neighbor to help spot me while I did the glass install MYSELF. Windshield and rear glass, correctly installed, correct clips, trim fit perfectly, no mess on the inside trim, no leaks.

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
I can. I had the windshield replaced in my SX4 - I told them it was being restored and I wanted it installed as the factory would, and to be careful with the trim - it was rare.
I got it back, there was urethane everywhere, including on the interior trim parts, the stainless trim on the outside was all screwed up. They used blocks under the glass to hold it up from the bottom and instead of lining their blocks up to match the reliefs in the outer trim, they CUT the back of the trim to clear their blocks. They they used the wrong clips for the trim so - they GLUED the trim in with what looked like a whole tube of urethane. IT took me two full evenings to finally get the trim back off and all that shXX out of the windshield pinch weld area and put correct clips in. Then I had to find good trim to clean up, paint and put back on the car.
You should see how some glass shop put the rear glass in my Javelin - I still can't get all the urethane crap off the inside vinyl trim, they scratched the glass and it's not even supposed to be put in with urethane. It's a butyl install.

Glass shops are all about insurance jobs - quickly replace the glass in a new vehicle and collect the insurance money. They don't give a rip.

So, for my 70, I found sources for the butyl tape, the primer, bought the suction cup handles and asked a neighbor to help spot me while I did the glass install MYSELF. Windshield and rear glass, correctly installed, correct clips, trim fit perfectly, no mess on the inside trim, no leaks.
Isn't that the sad truth. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

It's disappointing, because as I've gotten older I've begun to appreciate that I don't have time to do everything myself, but everywhere I look it feels like I could do it better (or at least care more about the end result). I just don't have the time, unfortunately.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't that the sad truth. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

It's disappointing, because as I've gotten older I've begun to appreciate that I don't have time to do everything myself, but everywhere I look it feels like I could do it better (or at least care more about the end result). I just don't have the time, unfortunately.
That's my problem now - the time (and energy - oh to have the energy I had at age 25 once again)

Been going through and fixing things on a car obtained from a "professional body and paint" guy - what a #$%$#@% - good grief, huge screws that remind me of lag screws holding things together that should have a #8 at the largest. Replaced door hinges - every hinge was missing at least one bolt.
We had a sunroom put on last spring - at final inspection I showed the guy from the company all of the problems - rain gutters not put together correctly, ends held on only with white caulking, missing latch for the screen, roof panels damaged, vinyl siding fit tight against things warping in the heat, a whole list. The guy made notes, took pictures, said someone would get back with me. Then a few weeks later they called to see how we liked it - I told them we never heard back with all of the problems, including ice up under shingles, water coming out of both ends of the rain gutters among other issues. Oh, he knew who had that information, someone would get back with me. I finally had enough and posted a "review" with 0 stars out of 5 and listed the problems. I also found their FB page and showed PICTURES of the problems and invited people in the area to come see our sunroom. In an hour I had an email from them saying that was the first they heard of any problems, someone would contact us right away to set up an appointment and it WOULD BE the next week, promised! Well, that's this week. Wednesday I contacted them and said "it's next week - no word". Someone is coming out tomorrow.
The shingles are sticking up, staples coming out of the roof, , it's just a disaster. I wonder if their 4.9 star rating is because they delete anything less than that? Seriously, I could have done a better job. (well, I have - I've helped with roofing, I've installed rain gutters, I've built sheds and garages.......) Don't even ask about the electrician's work on the project. I had to explain to them how to hook our well pump back up after they replaced our main breaker box. Seriously! They were going to leave with the wires hanging because the guy "couldn't figure out what those wires are for going out the basement wall". OMG, so you just leave them?

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
That's sucks Troy, I'd push for a new top. I'm so glad my dealership I use doesn't do crap jobs like this. Dealerships like this are why people talk so much crap about using dealerships for any work.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Troy, that sucks.
Since there was no one there from Service to inspect the vehicle when you left, you might get somewhere with them. I would start on them first thing this morning. If not, keep pushing it up the line- GM, owner, etc.. the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Good luck!

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I would strongly suggest that any and every time your vehicle needs service, take a few moments to document with pics the areas to be serviced. Show them to the service writer/manager or tell them you have "before" pics. These days, far too many unqualified people in positions without oversight. With fast food workers being replaced by robotic kitchens, the ham fisted baboons will migrate to other areas of the service industry. We used a "survey" form that noted any nicks, scratches, dents, rust, etc. on the motorcycles that came in for any type of service. There is a certain type of individual that will attempt to scam for self induced damages. Hence the form. It goes both ways. Push hard for a new top, if need be.
Sponsored