Front Frame Rails?

len919

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I am considering buying a 2020 Gladiator that I recently came across which was involved in a crash. I have yet to check it out in person but I do know that the insurance company totaled it. At first glance it looks like a minor scrape on the bumper, but we all know there must be more damage for an insurer to total it. Indeed, the driver's airbag went off. The dealership who did an estimate on the vehicle after the accident said the "front frame rails" were cracked and needed to be replaced. Otherwise, the Jeep is in excellent condition & only has 15k miles on it.

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out the worst case scenario so that I can factor that in before making an offer.

I will not be doing the work myself, but I have a friend with a shop with hydraulic lifts and welding equipment, etc who is very reasonable.. And I'm not afraid of a vehicle that has been in a crash - I bought my last few trucks w/ front end damage... That's fine, I just need to make some sort of guesstimate of what I could be in for...

I'm hoping to go check the vehicle out and get some pics and find the frame damage in person soon.. But in the mean time.. Does anyone know:

- I don't see a part called the "front frame rail". I see a frame rail extension - that looks simple to replace. Is it? (I can't imagine they'd total the vehicle over this...)

- I am seeing conflicting info about the frame. Some people say it is modular, but it doesn't look modular to me. If it is, how large is the "front"? Is it for sale? How is it replaced? Do you chop off the old and weld on the new?

- I can't find "front frame rails" for sale online.. I am guessing this was slang and not an official part name. Is there something else the dealership may have been referring to aside from the front rail extension?

- Are partial frames even available for purchase?

Any info would be greatly appreciated so I can take that into account when I go to check this out and/or consider this purchase.

Thanks!
Len

gladiator.JPG
Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
That picture is the totalled Truck??? It is hard to tell if the bumper is even bent, I'm not the guy to answer your questions but it looks like a totalled jeep doesn't have any body work needed...really?......Jack

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
The best indication of frame damage is to look for uneven seams between panels/doors.

The frame is one piece (welded). Alignment after repair will be the best indicator of how straight the repair made the frame.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
"I will not be doing the work myself, but I have a friend with a shop with hydraulic lifts and welding equipment, etc who is very reasonable."

I'd take this friend to look at it.

OP
OP
len919

len919

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That picture is the totalled Truck??? It is hard to tell if the bumper is even bent, I'm not the guy to answer your questions but it looks like a totalled jeep doesn't have any body work needed...really?......Jack
I know, right?! Yes, according to the dealership - cracked front frame rails.

Sponsored

John Hursh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Beermeister
16 hours after I bought a new 17 JKU a driver running a red light hit my front bumper. It spun me 180*. Looked like minor damage. The body shop got frame rails. It turned out the torsion from the hit twisted the frame rails, and it needed a complete new frame. 11 weeks and $23,000 later I got my Jeep back. First estimate was $7,000 and three weeks. My JKU was actually better than new when I got back a hand built JKU. Fortunately I had a witness and the company owners insurance paid the repairs and rental. Look carefully before you buy a “minor damage“ vehicle.

View attachment 161551

Jeep Gladiator Front Frame Rails? 1F68C24A-DFC3-4112-B2A4-E528ACA3C902

Jeep Gladiator Front Frame Rails? 614853EE-2046-4A94-8920-EA0E8EC68227

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:
OP
OP
len919

len919

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow! Thanks, I'll be sure to take a close look. I have a feeling I may be waiting a bit longer unless I can get a steal on it...
Sponsored