Frame replacement: Total or repair?

Aleph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLK350, Gladiator Mojave
I previously posted about how I got into a wreck where the other driver hit me nearly square onto the passenger side wheel, pushing out the axle toward the driver’s side. This is my update on the situation. Took it to an FCA-certified collision center and after their inspection it turns out the frame is damaged and will require frame and front axle replacement. Apparently this is not necessarily a total loss yet, so it is still up to me whether to take the settlement or repair.

The insurance settlement is $54k if we were to total the vehicle. The current cost of repair is $24k, or ~45% of the insurance settlement. The truck cost $61k, of which I have $35k left to pay through my credit union.

I’m leaning toward repairing the vehicle as it seems this be a lower net loss for me financially. I love my Mojave and all the opportunities for recreation and wheeling it has opened up for me; and I don’t think I’m set on trying to resell the truck later on. Interest rates have gone up slightly since I initially financed, so I’d be losing money if I decided to total and purchase another JT (I found a roughly equally equipped new Mojave on a Tennessee dealership lot for an “internet price” of $51k, but the out the door price would probably be more + the $3-4k GA vehicle registration tax).

Anyone here been in a similar situation and what did you pursue and why?
I’m trying to collect more information about my situation before making my decision. Am I making a mistake here trying to repair? Insurance says the repair cost will likely go up over time, and I’m worried about it inching toward being deemed total loss. The decision is ultimately mine but I do want to hear some of your perspectives.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Aleph

Aleph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLK350, Gladiator Mojave
The problem is, all dealers suck. They'll do a terrible job on the repair. Take the 19k and throw it down on a new Mojave that has a 62k sticker but 17k off. Your loan is then like 26k. Win?
Just want to clarify that the repair is not being done by a dealership, but an FCA-certified collision shop that I found by calling a shop that specializes in JL and JT America’s Most Wanted v8 swaps and asking for a recommendation. They use this collision shop for their vehicles. Not sure if that changes anything.

Sponsored

JustinLentz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Mojave RIP: 20JT 09jk, 03jgc, 97tj, 95yj, 73cj
Occupation
Operations Coordinator
I had a similar wreck. Someone ran a redlight and we they hit me on the front passenger corner. Frame damage and axle damage but it was a total loss. My 2020 Mojave was $51k when I bought it with 7 miles. I only had 27k when the crash happened. They gave me $49k, I owed $26k. I've been holding out to order a 2024 but Jeep will not announce pricing even though production has started.

ScottTank

First Name
ScottTank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
With the current deep discounts at some dealerships...I'd buy new. The damage will quite possibly show up on your Carfax report and any potential purchasers will want a large discount IF they would consider purchasing in the first place.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
I drove a mojove for a 7 weeks while my JTRD was in the shop.

The Mojove was nice, it was more road ‘worthy’ and was a better handling jeep.

Once I got back in my JTRD, I quickly realized the Diesel, and the Rubicon was much better for me.

I’d see if the insurance could offer a settlement to cover the diminished value, time lost with the vehicle, etc.

I’d then approach this as an opportunity to sort out exactly what you want.

Both are awesome trucks, but I’d get something you know you want to stick with for the long haul, that you are happy with.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Personally I'd take the settlement and buy new. The discounts are great right now...... although the finance rates are not. As others have said you'll have trouble selling your current truck when the time comes.

If you do decide to keep it make sure you pursue a diminished value claim with the insurance company.

Sponsored

whysoserious

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, 2006 Rubicon
Occupation
Professional former employee
Diminished value if you repair. The wreck/damage is tied to your VIN. Any VIN search will show it. That truck, 100% repaired, will be worth less than an exact clone that's never been wrecked but beat up.
This ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
Take the totaled value. Go buy a 2023 on a lot somewhere that has all options you want and the right color. You will feel better in the long run.

Finance rates will soon be dropping like a hot potato later on this year. Refinance it and enjoy.

mgenbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler sport
My 21 wrangler was totaled couple months ago and contemplated buyin it back but didn’t want to stick 8k in buyback and 6k in parts into a salvaged title that coupled with 20% off a 23 JTRD was a no brainer for me

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
I'm going to chime in and tell you to take the total payout and walk away. Even if the diminished value (and it will be worth precisely zilch after repairs if frame damage pops up on the VIN) doesn't matter to you, there is a good possibility with serious structural damage present that it may never be the same as is post repair and more issues will come up down the road that are indirectly a result.

Having been in the situation where I had to take the repairs on the cars both times financially over buying another, they were never quite right afterwards and the best body shops in the area did the work.

John Hursh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Beermeister
Bought a new 2017 JKU Sahara. 16 hours later with 75 miles on the odometer a driver ran a red light hitting the right front wheel. 11 weeks & $23,000 later (the business owner’s insurance paid) I got my Jeep back.

Required a new frame. The Jeep certified repair shop basically hand-built my Jeep frame to better than factory specs. Drove it 37,000 trouble free miles until I traded for my 2020 JT Overland to tow our travel trailer. They paid the diminished value. Never regretted the rebuild.

IMG_6158.jpeg
Sponsored