Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You misunderstand the Moss-Magnuson Act. It covers OEM spec replacement parts. i.e. you get a Autozone OEM spec alternator, they can't deny warranty over that. It does NOT protect you when you put on a 4" lift 40" Tires, regear, supercharge and reprogram the ECM/PCM. Anything that isn't OEM spec can get a warranty claim denied. Certain mods like ECM reflashing/documented abuse can get you a warranty block.

Now you can fight it with a lawyer, and hire/pay your automotive experts to debate the Jeep lawyers and Jeep Engineers and all their data, good luck with that BTW.... or just realize you have to pay to play.

Mostly, though if you're nice to the dealer, most of them work with you on simple mods. Its when a factory rep gets involved it gets dicey. I know for example, GM has been a real stickler on ECM/TCM reprogramming (they usually check for reflashes every service visit)...because folks were blowing up their engines and wanting warranty to cover it (mostly diesel trucks from what I heard).
Well said. It was originally used mostly on computer mods - go buy a computer, add a larger drive or more RAM - oops, you have no warranty!

Like John said - as long as the part you put in is in specs and the part itself doesn't do damage (like an alternator over-charging due to problems and blowing things out) then all that isn't covered is the alternator you put on.

As long as you can say yes to these - things should be covered:
Is the replacement part meeting OEM specs?
Is the truck still in specs for alignment? (toe, camber, caster, SAI, scrub radius, etc.)
Are driveshaft/joint angles still operating within design parameters?

If there is a failure unrelated to any replacement parts or changes - it's covered.

I can see things getting sticky if you have things regeared, the differentials are all apart and a non-Jeep dealership does the work and you later have a differential noise, a bearing fails or a seal leaks - I can see Jeep saying "go back to the shop that did the work".
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm just wanting to regear it, add lockers and do a lift.
That's the theory and that's the ideal world. And yes, it SHOULD be that way, but some dealers just are lazy or don't get it.
They aren't lawyers, that aren't judges, heck, some of them can't even judge if a part is bad or not. Some look, see something they don't like and figure - hey, we can move along to the next vehicle and make some money.
Some don't like the flat rate the factory gives them or the hassle of the "paperwork" and the process of getting paid too little later.

It's been hashed to death in multiple threads.............for some it's been a struggle, for others - like me, the shop covered things that technically they'd not have had to cover and did things for no charge that I told them I knew I would need to pay for because it wasn't warranty related (contacting Jeep, getting my VIN updated with the passive entry option - they did it, and then even flashed my truck to make sure it all worked with the new flash download)

As far as these - it would fully depend on the lift, (brand/source), how high and many other factors -

1) suspension
2) steering
3) differentials and axles
4) wheel speed sensors
5) ABS
6) traction control
7) Driveshaft

I see no reason a lift of 2" would have anything do to with warranty on the above. Why would a lift impact traction control? Why would lockers?
Steering, no again - Jeep even says as long as a lift leave the truck within the factory alignment specs, it's ok to perform certain service bulletins. ABS has nothing to do with lifts or lockers - that would be covered. IF the ABS module goes south - it's got nothing to do with a lift or lockers.
Driveshaft issues would only come into play with the higher lifts - as long as the angles are within what the joints are made to handle and the final angle (front joint minus rear joint) is in spec, driveshafts would be covered with a lift.
Wheel speed sensors would be covered under pretty much any circumstances unless the wires were pulled and broken. They'd have to show the lift caused the issue.

All of those parts would typically be covered with a lift or other mods - "depending"....... height, who did what, were wires pulled, were brake lines snagged, etc.

Funny thing about Jeeps- in my experience, ABS issues are hardly ever the wheel sensors...............yes, they go bad, but generally it's the stuff under the hood that's the problem. My neighbor is having ABS issues and what's the first thing multiple people have told him to look into? The stuff under the hood.

If a person changes out all the things the OP mentioned. Its reasonable to think that wheel speed sensors were touched. Possibly removed and reinstalled. If that's not the case then I stand corrected. If that is the case, then the dealer could reasonably deny coverage on anything that is dependent on wheel speed sensors.

What I gave is how its typically done. If you touch it, you own it. So to speak. But many dealers are better and many dealers are worse.

My local dealer told me that if I put any kind of lift on it, they won't warranty any steering or suspension issues.

A lift could absolutely cause steering problems if everything wasn't torqued down properly when the lift was performed.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Please READ your warranty. It's a free download. Heck, I'll even post it here for your convenience.
Read page 11 especially.

In a nutshell -
Logic applies.
If you replace a muffler belt, the muffler belt is no longer covered because Jeep didn't make it.
Have it re-geared and your gears are no longer covered.
Put a 4" lift under it - stress the drive shafts, well............
Stress it by using crazy parts that upset the whole design - certain parts won't be covered.
Fail to maintain it - yeah, don't change the oil or use crap oil, engine damage may not be covered.
Put on wheels that stick way out - your steering is now screwed so don't gripe to Jeep.
What about synthetic blinker fluid?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What about synthetic blinker fluid?
As long as it meets Jeep specs and doesn't leak out of the blinkers or cause them to flash to the rhythm of Ballroom Blitz.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My local dealer told me that if I put any kind of lift on it, they won't warranty any steering or suspension issues.

A lift could absolutely cause steering problems if everything wasn't torqued down properly when the lift was performed.
While it's true one can screw up during installation - Jeep clearly states on more than one TSB that if the alignment is still in specs, for example - they will replace the steering gear.
IF they went through and found things were loose - they are supposed to fix THOSE things first - then go from there. The dealer may torque things and not charge, or they have a right to charge to take care of fasteners not put back correctly, but lift or not, as long as it's in factory specs for alignment, they'll take care of steering or suspension parts.
Your local dealer is full of BS.
I know what lifts can and will do - sometimes. They can't refuse to warrant parts against factory defect as long as it's not your lift causing the problem.
What Jeep says is if you have made mods that put things outside of factory specs their "fix" may not resolve the problem. Not that they won't fix things. They don't want you going in and complaining about wander, pull, bump-steer or brake-steer and wanting them to fix it.

I have pictures of Jeeps my local dealer lifts - and I mean lifts 2" and taller, with bigger wheels and tires, and the Jeep factory warranty still applies - to all things except non-MOPAR parts and if they touched it to install the lift, the dealer warrants it.

If I install a lift and get an ABS error a week later - they can't refuse to deal with the issue. They MAY come back and say "we found a broken wire on the left rear wheel due to the lift" but if they can't show that I did it or the lift did it - they replace it.
They are supposed to deal with any issues - and if it's found to be YOUR fault or the fault of YOUR equipment, they need to show that fact. They can't say "you have a lift so you don't have warranty on ABS. Can't do that. They may charge for the diagnosis and the part IF they can show the lift caused it, but if they can't show that, it's warranty.
No dealer can rightfully say "you have no warranty on x,y, and z if you do....." some will try, but it ain't right.
My dealer flat out told me exactly how the warranty worked if I made changes. I spoke to them at length when I was considering a lift and re-gearing. They were plain as day about it. And they didn't care if I did the work or they did other than to explain if THEY did the work, they warranted the WORK, but in all cases, the truck still had full warranty - except on parts put in that were not Mopar parts. If I re-geared, everything was under full warranty except the gears. (or parts that were not original to the truck). If I did it using Mopar parts, everything was 100% covered except the install if I did the work.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Magnuson-Moss warranty act was enacted in 1975, best to read the actual document than take someone’s interpretation on a forum.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.congress.gov/93/statute/STATUTE-88/STATUTE-88-Pg2183.pdf

Here's an explanation of a provision from the act that can apply directly to Jeep owners, or for that matter, owners of ANY vehicle -

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions

In general, tie-in sales provisions are prohibited. A tie-in sales provision requires a purchaser of a warranted product to buy a particular item or service from a specified company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive the benefits of the warranty. For example, the following illustrates a prohibited tie-in sales provision:

In order to keep your new X Brand Lawnmower warranty in effect, you must use genuine X Brand Lawnmower Blades. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Y Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.
There is also an amendment that states companies must make warranties available pre-purchase - E-Warranty Act of 2015, Pub. L. No. 114-51, 129 Stat. 494

sandifer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator (Mojave)
Occupation
retired from IT business
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trying to get some information on what mods could/will void the factory warranty.
I'm just wanting to regear it, add lockers and do a lift. Pretty standard stuff. Is there any issue with these types of things causing the factory warranty to be voided?
Are there any special requirements like a licensed shop or something. I heard that from one guy. I called the local dealership a couple of times but I just get directed to a guy that doesn't answer his phone.

Sorry is this is dumb question. I searched and couldn't find anything on it. This is my first new vehicle so I am not really sure how these things work.

Thanks,
Billy
My experience is that Jeep will use anything to void your warranty. Even if they do the work.. My frame tab that hold the rear sway bar pictures.....
Sponsored