Sponsored

Do Method wheels require splined lug nuts?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi all, I'm trying to come up with some reasonably priced wheels for my snow tires. the Methods are decent looking and under $200.

It looks like Method recommends splined lugs. But was wondering if OEM lugs would fit?

Splined lugs are a deal breaker.

Thanks.
Sponsored

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
Curious why that’s a deal breaker? I was surprised to find out my Fuel wheels required thin lug nuts, but I got a splined set at Autozone for like less than $40.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They require spline unfortunately.
Shoot. Thanks.

Curious why that’s a deal breaker? I was surprised to find out my Fuel wheels required thin lug nuts, but I got a splined set at Autozone for like less than $40.
Simplicity and idiot proof-ness. These wheels will be for a set of snows. I'm getting a different set that used factory lugs for my summer tires.

That means that every time I switch tires, 2x per year, I've got to store lug nuts and a spline wrench. If both sets use factory lugs, no storing lug nuts and no wrench to deal with.

I'm sure for many people this would be just an inconvenience. I don't want that complexity. So its a deal breaker.

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2021 BMW M2, 2012 Monster 1100evo
Occupation
Business Intelligence
Shoot. Thanks.

Simplicity and idiot proof-ness. These wheels will be for a set of snows. I'm getting a different set that used factory lugs for my summer tires.

That means that every time I switch tires, 2x per year, I've got to store lug nuts and a spline wrench. If both sets use factory lugs, no storing lug nuts and no wrench to deal with.

I'm sure for many people this would be just an inconvenience. I don't want that complexity. So its a deal breaker.
You have room to store another set of wheels and tires but not a set of lug nuts and a socket? The spline socket is like a locking lug key; I just kept it in the glove box. Very small.

I went to splined lugs on my mustang and just got rid of the OEM ones. Ford lug nuts are notoriously lousy though, so I was happy to replace them.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Shoot. Thanks.

I mean. You're storing and swapping 4-5 entire wheel sets and you can't figure out how to store a tupperware of a few lugnuts and the socket and fix that to be complex?

wut?

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean. You're storing and swapping 4-5 entire wheel sets and you can't figure out how to store a tupperware of a few lugnuts and the socket and fix that to be complex?

wut?
I don't want the hassle. There are other wheels I like just as much for similar money that don't have this issue.

I've also had my wife get a flat and she couldn't find the spline drive to change her own tire. When your wife is willing to change her own tire, you give her what she wants. ha. (this includes a 24 in breaker bar and a torque wrench in every car)

Of course I solved that problem by buying a half dozen spline drives on ebay and putting them everywhere. ha.

You have room to store another set of wheels and tires but not a set of lug nuts and a socket? The spline socket is like a locking lug key; I just kept it in the glove box. Very small.
Exactly. I don't do locking lug nuts either..

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
That’s a good deal for Method wheels I was interested in those but any of the ones I liked that were a decent offset to stay under the fenders were around $300 each.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s a good deal for Method wheels I was interested in those but any of the ones I liked that were a decent offset to stay under the fenders were around $300 each.
Thats why I'm going to do a set of Quadratech Morphic. People here like them, they are reasonably priced, they use factory lugs, they are hub-centric, and they don't stick out much.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
Just get someone else's factory take offs. Good quality, all the ease and compatibility, and you can often find them SUPER cheap. That's what I've done for all of mine and my parents' cars (including JK and JL Wranglers). Best I've done is a set of effectively new wheels and tires where I didn't need the tires, and turned around and sold them for about as much as the whole set.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just get someone else's factory take offs. Good quality, all the ease and compatibility, and you can often find them SUPER cheap. That's what I've done for all of mine and my parents' cars (including JK and JL Wranglers). Best I've done is a set of effectively new wheels and tires where I didn't need the tires, and turned around and sold them for about as much as the whole set.
I't like to get something a bit wider than stock. I'm going to be putting 35s on them.

I mentioned it earlier that I saw a guy on the JL forum who buys take offs for around $1000, then when they are half worn, resells them and buys another set of take offs. It costs him nearly nothing for tires and he gets new wheels every time. ha.
Sponsored