Sponsored

Thoughts from a new Gladiator (and Jeep) owner after a 1100 mile drive home.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok for apple car play and maps if you want it to point north all you need to do is touch the triangle on the right and that toggles it on or off. And you can zoom in or out
How do you zoom. I was able to get it north up. Though I think it reverted to course up when I restarted the truck.

I'm not challenging. I want you to be right and me to be wrong because it means that this thing may actually be useful to me.

I know enough about tech and user interfaces to know I haven't figured this one out yet. ha.
If you could take a couple of pics I'd really appreciate it. I'll play with it a bit more tomorrow.

When I was driving home from Gupton I eventually decided to not even use it. I found myself poking at it while driving and was distracted. And I didn't want to pull over for a half hour to try to figure it out because I wanted to get one. I'll play with it in the driveway tomorrow.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other thing. I averaged 15.3 mpg for the trip based on the computer. I cruised at 72 to 75.

4wd Auto was on roughly 1/2 of the trip.

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
I run GMAp on my phone and either Apple Music, Pandora or Spotify via Car Play. I forgot what I did to make it work.

For my phone mount, I have the RAM mount Tough Track with the X Grip. I have been using the RAM products for years. Rock solid, lots of options. I have the X Grip on my tractor and another one in my work van with the suction cup on the triangle side window, Ford Transit.

Off roading or working in the yard, phone never moves. Great for shooting video off roading. No, I don't work for them, just excellent products.

My JTR is a M/T, my first Jeep, always had Tacomas.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
9) The steering definitely takes some getting used to. At the beginning of the trip it was mentally exhausting to keep the truck between the lane markers. By the end of the trip it was second nature.
What was your tire pressure? Mine is very comfortable at any speed and can hold the lane without much trouble if there isn't wind.

Sponsored

Mechjk43

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Occupation
Mechanical Design Engineer
I don't mind Google maps on a computer or tablet or the phone but it just doesn't translate well to the Jeep's screen. It's a lot harder to get addresses plugged into.
I've stopped trying to use Google crap and use Waze any time I need nav in the JT now. Superior. Blows Google craps away.
I can't figure out hot to get Google craps on the screen to allow EASY plugging in of an address - I usually do that on the phone and then connect it to the truck. Google is really lame in that area, IMO.
I found with a high-end USB C to C cable I've gotten better reliability in connections. I bought one that has a 90 degree angle on one end so instead if the cable dropping down across the dash when my phone is up in the mount, it goes off to the right side and down, not in the way of any other controls. Love that cable.
Considering Google bought Waze, they agree.
😂

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
All of you should consider a wireless CarPlay or android auto dongle. They’re available on Amazon. I have one for CarPlay and it works perfectly. Stowed and plugged into the usb in the center console. Out of sight, auto connects when I turn the truck on.

For CarPlay maps, make sure you’re in the map app, not the Home Screen. You’ll know you’re there because map will fill the screen. Tap on the map and + and - buttons appear on the right side of the screen for zoom. Also, as the previous user stated, an arrow will appear in the upper right corner. Tapping this arrow allows you to move through POV settings.

I’m happy with CarPlay now that I have the wireless dongle. My biggest disappointment is that it doesn’t fill my entire screen.

AmosMoses01

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Technology
CarPlay with iOS 15 is an ongoing dumpster fire - in 14.x it worked reliably well. The apps that I *generally* use are Waze for navigation and YouTube Music for tunes. I also have GaiaGPS that I use for when I'm wanting to track and store the route that I'm on - but it isn't nearly as polished as other apps if you're just wanting general navigation to a place. All of them have been problematic with iOS 15.x.

If you haven't updated to iOS 15 I'd say don't - if you have, then the following "workarounds" can help w/various quirks I've run in to:

• If whatever navigation app you're using on the CarPlay screen freezes up or doesn't give all the info you want, unlock your phone and open that map app. That gets the CarPlay app working again - and I've had every navigation app freeze up except for Apple Maps, which I really don't like the UI of and am hyper annoyed that they (Apple) seem to have broken everyone else's map apps except for theirs.
  • If you find that your map app of choice starts doing weird voice navigations hiccups - like starting a sentence and then cutting off a few words in, i.e. "In 600 feet tur-" instead of "In 600 feet, turn left" - the solution that works is to NOT have your phone connected via Bluetooth. I know that solution will not be palatable for a lot of folks, but it fixes the voice cut off issue.
  • Audio apps can do the freeze thing - lock up if you're running directly from CarPlay - but seem to do so much less frequently. Oddly, Apple Music seems to be the app that gives me the biggest problems, so I use it much less frequently (am only using it during the "free" period Apple gave me after getting a set of AirPod Pros a while back)

Phone mount wise, I personally find the Mob Armor MobNetic Maxx / Pro to be great. Others have much more robust solutions for offroading, etc. but this suits my needs perfectly.

Jeep Gladiator Thoughts from a new Gladiator (and Jeep) owner after a 1100 mile drive home. MobArmor

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Considering Google bought Waze, they agree.
😂
Still totally different products thankfully. Google hasn't butchered it.......yet. (FTC started looking into it again, but haven't heard anything of the new investigation in a year now.)

Google maps sucks. Waze is about the only "google product" that doesn't suck. (android has it's problems but isn't their worst product.

In order to have anything decent, they had little choice but to buy a superior product. It's how fakebook and google both survive - buy the competition.
So yeah, they must have agreed Google maps sucked, so they had to find something better.

TheRealGinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
7. I get flashed at least once, sometimes more often, every single time I drive at night. It's the first and only vehicle that's ever happened with. I get these guys with the huge quad lights up front that I'm sure are not properly aimed and likely not even legal blasting me a lot - they flash their high beams at me and their highs will melt aluminum.
My headlights were not adjusted correctly from the factory either and was flashed daily. My JLUR never had an issue but my Gladiator definitely had the headlights aimed too high. Luckily it is easy to readjust and recommend to lower them a bit.

Cheers

Sponsored

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
A question - I'm used to an HVAC with an auto setting that automatically turns on the AC compressor. The AC light comes on and if you don't want it on, you tap the AC button. This leaves it in Auto mode but it can't run the AC. This is a good way to do things on dry winter days.

In the Jeep, when you tap Auto, the AC light doesn't light up. Is it on? If you tap AC the AC light comes on but the Auto light goes off.

There doesn't seem to be a way to have it in Auto without AC engaged. Am I missing something?
Did you come from a Ford by chance? My fusion acted the way you described. It would light the AC light if it was actually using it, and I could turn it off but leave it in auto mode, telling it basically, do what you have to do, just don't use the ac.

Auto Mode in these trucks, if it's in auto it's not going to tell you when it is or isn't using ac, and there seems to be no way to prohibit it. If I want to know if AC is being used, I hit the auto button to turn it auto off, and if it was using AC, the AC light will then light up. I can turn the AC off at that point, but then turning it back to "Auto" it seems to just do what it wants in regards to using AC or not.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Congrats on your new toy 👍 👍 👍

I don't use the Andriod connect. I have the factory navigation system which fills my needs perfectly as does Sirius.

Fuel economy...I'm guessing the 4PT setting does drag down economy a bit but, that much? I had the 4PT in my GC's (two of them were QD II so it was like 4PT all the time) and would use it a LOT in winter and didn't notice any significant reduction in fuel economy. I'm guessing it's a break in thing? I typically drive (on long trips where allowed) 70-75 mph and get over 23 mpg with mine. Granted I don't have the Selec-trac system (2H, 4FT, 4PT, N, 4Lo) so it's always 2H but still...when I first got mine, I drove from home (West Chester, PA) to Boston that very weekend and averaged over 23 mpg the whole trip on a vehicle that arrived with only 6 miles on the odometer. That included my wife driving some of it and she's a bit of a lead foot Louise :LOL::LOL::LOL:

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
If you haven't updated to iOS 15 I'd say don't
Truth, iOS 15 has close to bricked my iPhone XR. Keep hoping it will get better.
Sponsored