Sponsored

What limits towing on manual transmission?

cj8scrambler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR MT Sarge Green
I'm ready to order my 2022 Gladiator and really want a manual transmission, but I'll need to occasionally do some towing. Is it the clutch or the transmission that limits the towing capacity in the manual transmission configuration? I'd be willing to live with short lifespan on the clutch.
Sponsored

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
4,000lbs on manual. Clutch.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's also towing and TOWING.

Most of my towing is around town. 5 miles at 30 mph with minimal load on engine and transmission.

Considering my towing I would and have exceeded the rated tow capacity of the tow vehicle for DECADES. ha.

Never a problem, sometimes clear indication that it would not go well on the highway. (tail wagging the dog syndrome.)

We know the Gladiator's chassis can handle much more than 4000 lbs. (My Volvo sedan could tow 3850 lbs) And as others have said the weak point is the clutch.

It would be very possible to do in town towing where you never approached maximum engine torque (engine torque is the limiting factor with a clutch) . In contrast, driving with even a modest load on the highway typically requires occasional full throttle.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Ill 2nd the clutch failing but that trans is very weak also. Plenty of threads on the manual trans that people say sound like someone dropped marbles in it. The auto trans is good for like 700+ftlb and the manul 400 ish if I remember their ratings.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Your question has pitfalls. There is the "legal limit" rating of 4000 lbs. Could it physically tow more? Sure but you assume a bigger risk than just shorten clutch or transmission life. If you were to be involved in an accident beyond your "legal limit" tow rating, it opens yourself up to more civil liability.

In addition, any upgrades that may actually extended or reinforce from an engineering perspective your tow capacity, it never will legally extended that from what the factory set at 4000 lbs.

My advice is if you expect to tow past the margins of 4000 lbs, get a automatic with 4.10's.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cj8scrambler

cj8scrambler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR MT Sarge Green
My towing would be for weekend Scout camping trips once a month or so. It's a cargo trailer that's estimated to be around 3500 lbs (no one knows for sure). I'm in flat land, but it would be highway driving for a few hours each way.

I understand this would be near the limit for a manual. What I'm trying to understand is, what am I going to be beating on? If towing near the limit will take years off my clutch life, I'm OK with treating it as a consumable and replacing it early. Maybe upgrade it to a Centerforce at that point. But if pushing the towing limit is going to shorten the life of my transmission, that would be a problem.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
I think it’s mostly the clutch. Obviously the transmission is not built as durable as the automatic for the gasser and even less so compared to the zf8hp75. Towing a 4k trailer as long as your not slipping the clutch and pulling long grades I’d imagine you would be fine for a long time.
I’m not a lawyer and don’t care about your liability of towing over max weight. I think it’ll hold up ok. If towing a lot change the fluid more often ??

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing magical and evil happens when you cross from 3999 lbs to 4001 lbs.

Hours on the highway is probably fine if its flat and you hold it into a lower gear. This will reduce the torque the engine needs to make. Hold it in 5th gear at 50 mph and you will be fine.

You may be able to do more but who knows its all speculative. This assumes your trailer is close to the 4k max.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Trim matters too. Towing limit is 4500 lbs on Rubicon and Mojaves with the manual (and towing package), and 4000 on the others. OP didn't say which trim he was considering, I don't believe.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
That's why I don't understand why anyone would go manual...

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's why I don't understand why anyone would go manual...
I only drive manual. I've probably driven an automatic all of 2000 miles in my life, just on rental cars for trips and loaners. I've never personally owned an automatic. So it feels weird for me to drive one. Also, I don't have anything anywhere approaching my limit of 4500 lbs to pull. I don't dislike automatics, or think all jeeps need to be manuals. I'm not one of those. But for me, personally, since I've exclusively driven manual for my entire driving life, it's more comfortable for me to drive. It takes less thought, since it's literally the only thing I've ever driven so when I drive an auto, it feels awkward.

Plus, I'm going to get this last hurrah in with a manual before I buy my next car, which by then will be electric and therefore single speed

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I do not own a manual but I test drove one, as I recall reverse gear was really tall, could make backing up a trailer painful. If set on a manual I would get a Rubicon or Mojave so you have the 4.10 gears.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I only drive manual. I've probably driven an automatic all of 2000 miles in my life, just on rental cars for trips and loaners. I've never personally owned an automatic. So it feels weird for me to drive one. Also, I don't have anything anywhere approaching my limit of 4500 lbs to pull.

Plus, I'm going to get this last hurrah in with a manual before I buy my next electric car.
what do users enjoy about manual, the automatic gearbox in these are among the very best in the industry, manual are among the worst.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what do users enjoy about manual, the automatic gearbox in these are among the very best in the industry, manual are among the worst.
I've never owned an automatic. It actually takes me more thought to drive one, because I've had very little experience with one. I've also never had any transmission problems (in any car), so it's just what's comfortable for me. I don't know what there is to enjoy, it's just the only thing I've ever driven. It feels more comfortable. I feel out of my element in anything else. I will say that I had a ram 1500 with the 3.6/8 speed. It was good. But it was definitely not for me. Once again, I know I'm opening myself up for bashing. If you drive automatic, I couldn't care less. I'm glad they make both. Something for everyone. When I go electric, I'll have to change my ways.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've never owned an automatic. It actually takes me more thought to drive one, because I've had very little experience with one. I've also neve had any transmission problems (in any car), so it's just what's comfortable for me.
I've just read the manuals in these aren't very reliable
Sponsored